Cache Density Champion - I think it's Stockton, California

Peanuthead

The Tampa Bay and Orlando areas have a lot of caches in them so I did a search for Lakeland, Florida (about 1/2 way between Tampa and Orlando). There were 51 pages of 20 and 1 page with 1 cache within 100 miles. So while we're not as densely surrounded with caches as Stockton, Cali, we have almost 1,300 caches in the area.

Now if I could find more time and had money for gas, I'd set out to get every one of them. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Peanuthead:

Using a 100 mile radius as a standard, I did a little searching around and I think Stockton, California is the most cache dense, with 3,373 caches within 100 miles. of zip code 95201, as of October 19th, 2003.

If you can find a more dense 100 mile radius, please post it here.

It's no coicidence that Ron Streeter, the father of Northern California caching, lives in Stockton. big_smile.gif

--Marky

...Be nice to your fellow geocachers, they might be Hemlock...

To more accurately gauge a zipcode's density, you really should pick a smaller radius. Let's try 5 miles. My zip, 95118, has 147 caches within 5 miles of it. 95201, in comparison, has only 12.

(The main Hide and Seek page lets you adjust the search radius.)

--Marky

...Be nice to your fellow geocachers, they might be Hemlock...

quote:
Originally posted by Peanuthead:

Using a 100 mile radius as a standard, I did a little searching around and I think Stockton, California is the most cache dense, with 3,373 caches within 100 miles. of zip code 95201, as of October 19th, 2003.

That's less than one for every 9 square miles. There's room for lots more! icon_smile.gif

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

Wow...147 caches within a 5 mile radius, you must be tripping over caches out there.

From my zip code, I came up with 35 caches within a 5 mile radius. Most of them were mine. Going out to a 100 mile radius brings up 1,354 caches.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

2,130 caches within 100 miles of my zipcode (07405), but about 1/4 of that is ocean, so things are a actually a lot denser.

Other density numbers:

34 within 5 miles.

79 within 10 miles.

220 within 20 miles.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

My cache density for 01462 (north central Massachusetts) is:

5 miles: 6

20 miles: 138

100 miles:1556

That's going into New Hampshire and Vermont as well and there are not very many in either one of those states, especially Vermont. I'm sure if I went a little south towards Rhode Island or Connecticut, that the numbers would pick up more.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

My Stats

Found: 70

Hidden: 2

Where I live there are:

240 caches within a 100 mile radius

8 caches within a 5 mile radius

40 caches within a 20 mile radius (unfortunately, due to Hurricane Isabel about 10 of them are out of service)

j.o.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geocaching-HamptonRoadsVA/join

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

Since 10 miles is a link I have setup, I hit that and got only 6, then realized it was filtered for my finds!

5 miles - 30

10 miles - 56

50 miles - 717

100 miles - 1,849!

If you check cache density you'll see Connecticut has moved up from 6th to 5th in the US for caches per square area. Last spring there were over 200, come summer we broke 300, now there are over 400!

Enjoy,

Randy

Wow, in a five mile radius my area has 2, count em TWO caches. Wow that is pathetic. The closest one being 4.6 miles, but more like 10 if going by road. A grand total of 87 caches within a 20 mile radius. And sadly, I live in a moderately wooded area of Western PA. Well, I'll make sure that changes once I start hiding and finding caches, hopefully, my first 5 caches that I place will all be seed caches.

----

Extra batteries for GPS, don't leave home without 'em.

[This message was edited by K-9Cacher on October 20, 2003 at 12:52 PM.]

NY 11763

Caches / Miles

1699 / 100

519 / 50

124 / 20

27 / 5

NY 10001

2106 / 100

991 / 50

227 / 20

44 / 5

1/3 of the area is water

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

Five months after I first posted this thread, I just did a quick check again,

and I believe the heaviest Cache Density for a 100 mile radius is still,

Stockton, California !!

If you can find a heavier cache density for a 100 mile radius, please post it here.

Edited by Peanuthead
Five months after I first posted this thread, I just did a quick check again,

and I believe the heaviest Cache Density for a 100 mile radius is still,

Stockton, California !!

If you can find a heavier cache density for a 100 mile radius, please post it here.

100 mile radius from area code 92880 - 3945!

The winner is: Corona, CA.

Blind Avocado Said, "100 mile radius from area code 92880 - 3945! The winner is Corona, CA."

I should have been more clear in my new post. Stockton, CA now has 4,030, and Corona, CA has 3,944. Stockton is still the current champion. The numbers in the first few posts on this thread are from several months ago.

If you want Corona to be champ, I guess you would have to find the sweet spot where caches would be within 100 miles of Corona but not Stockton, and plant 100 caches there.

Here I was all set to point out Nashville, TN, but their 100 mile count is 'only' 1142. I would think they might have a record for the 5 mile radius, though. Searching from zip 37201, I came up with the following:

100 miles - 1142 or .036 per square mile

50 miles - 866 or .11 per square mile

20 miles - 615 or .49 per square mile

10 miles - 315 or 1 per square mile

5 miles - 146 or 2 per square mile

(Area = pi x radius squared)

Nashville is where fullct found 238 caches in 24 hours, though.

In contrast, my zip (40175) has 1341 within 100 miles, but only 11 within 5 miles

No where near being a contender, however since others were talking about their low cache density, I thought I would throw this in.

Where I live

Prospect, Ohio 43342

5 miles = 2

10 miles = 8

20 miles = 32

50 miles = 210

100 miles = 777

Figured as of March 14, 2004 6:23est

Here I was all set to point out Nashville, TN, but their 100 mile count is 'only' 1142. I would think they might have a record for the 5 mile radius, though. Searching from zip 37201, I came up with the following:

20 miles - 615 or .49 per square mile

10 miles - 315 or 1 per square mile

5 miles - 146 or 2 per square mile

If you're running numbers, Thousand Oaks, CA (91360) is a good bet too...

100 miles - 2907

50 miles - 1489

20 miles - 739

10 miles - 470

5 miles - 265

Using a 100 mile radius as a standard, I did a little searching around and I think Stockton, California is the most cache dense, with 3,373 caches within 100 miles. of zip code 95201, as of October 19th, 2003.<BR><BR>If you can find a more dense 100 mile radius, please post it here.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

I used my old zip in San Jose and came up with 3360 so it's close to Stockton. Man I need to visit the old neighborhood.