Do you wear a hat?

Usually. When I was younger I never did. Nowadays the sun really seems to bug my eyes and burn my head. I need the protection more than worrying with the accumulated heat, though that is a bother too. The benefits outweigh the drawbacks and you can always take it off to cool down.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

quote:
Originally posted by The Gowen Family:

Try a tilly hat

http://www.tilley.com/index3.asp

================================================

Best hat in the world. I've had one for about 10 years. (They've got a cool little stash spot inside, too. [for money, etc.])

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

My hair has been archived for almost 20 years now, so a hat is a must! Keeps me from getting sunburnt in the summer, and keeps my noggin warm in the winter.

In the winter I'll wear a wool cap, baseball cap, or if it's raining or snowing ...my Filson Hat, nothing repels rain better.

Summertime can find me in a ball cap, my Panama Jack Crusher, or my Tilly LTM3.

Tilley's hats float, are insured against loss, and are guaranteed for life ... so if you think about it, it's a one time investment.

--------------

Changing some folks mind, is like trying to herd cats.

55883_200.gif

Depends what I am doing. If I am going desert hiking to hit some level 4 terrain caches, I put on my camo and French Legionnaire (sp?) hat to save the back of my neck. If I am only in-town hitting a couple of caches, then it's just my Arizona Diamondbacks cap.

I just checked out the Tilley website, and am gonna get rid of the French thing for a T2 hat. Great big brim looks good for the sun down here, and any company that posts this kind of guarantee will get my business:

FLOATS:

A layer of closed-cell foam in the crown, and sometimes in the brim, provides the Tilley's positive buoyancy. This is a boon to boaters and fishermen/women/people.Good grief!

People have told us that this foam layer has helped save their lives. Double your money back if it doesn't save yours. Apply personally....

[This message was edited by TEAM 360 on August 02, 2003 at 05:13 PM.]

Hats prevent (or reduce) convection heat transfer (cooling via wind) since they trap heat on your head. But they reduce radiation heat transfer (from the sun), block sunlight, and may protect your head from ticks and other stuff.

From a purely heat-transfer point of view, the hat probably makes your head hotter. But I always wear one in hot Florida for sunblock protection.

Oh, and another benefit of a geocaching hat: GCers will recognize you right away and other people won't.

The best thing about Tilley's guarantee is that you don't have to send your hat back to them and wait for it to be replaced. Just take your worn out hat to any place that sells them. They will give you a new one, and Tilley will replace it for them. It works. I have done it. 50-60 bucks might seem like a lot of money for a hat... but with a lifetime guarantee???

Matt usually wears a boonie hat...Julia sometimes wears a bucket hat...head covering is a must...

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

I have worn a hat almost everyday since 1974.

Wear a hat in the heat to shade the head. Wear a hat in the cold to reduce the heat loss through the head.

Side benefits in the heat:

no sunburn spots in that thinning area, you don't overheat too fast, the sweat soaked up by the hat will actually allow for better cooling effects, the bill or rim will shade your eyes causing a reduction in eye strain.

Side benefits in the cold:

You reduce the 30% heat reduction through your head, you will require less energy to keep warm, it repels rain to a certain degree, the bill or rim will help keep the rain away.

Cheers!

TL

I wear a full brimmed straw hat in the summer. Keeping my head in the shade more than makes up for the amount of heat that it retains. It's ventilated so it does let some heat and moisture out. I can soak it for extra cooling when I have access to enough water.

In the Winter, I wear a felt Boy Scout leader hat (emblem removed). It keeps my head warm and my face out of the sun.

I could never get into baseball caps. They leave way to much skin exposed and subject to burning and UV.

I has a skin cancer scare not long ago, so I'm a big believer in full-brimmed hats and sun screen. You should be also.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

I have worn a hat almost everyday since 1974.

Wear a hat in the heat to shade the head. Wear a hat in the cold to reduce the heat loss through the head.

Side benefits in the heat:

no sunburn spots in that thinning area, you don't overheat too fast, the sweat soaked up by the hat will actually allow for better cooling effects, the bill or rim will shade your eyes causing a reduction in eye strain.

Side benefits in the cold:

You reduce the 30% heat reduction through your head, you will require less energy to keep warm, it repels rain to a certain degree, the bill or rim will help keep the rain away.

Cheers!

TL

I agree with TL, it's really important to wear hats in winter hiking...i have a polypro onen with ear flaps that I'll wear snowshoeing.

In the summer, it keeps the sweat under control...nobody sweats like I do...doesn't take much! Thus, I usually go through 5-6 bottles of water on a 8-10 mile hike. I also bring my water filter just in case.

I have a collection of baseball style hats, with logos of various ski areas, outdoors equipment mfrs. and organizations like the Nature Conservacy. I wear them any time a hat would be appropriate (meaning when I'm not dining, working, or at a wedding). They help keep the sun and sweat out of my eyes and a healthy dose of spray keeps the bugs of my hair.

I also have my beloved, 20 year old, faded and well worn NY Yankees baseball hat that I only wear when playing baseball, or softball. I've stitched it many times to keep it going.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

One other note about hats... Baseball caps are fine, they definitely keep the sun out of your eyes. But they leave a couple of important areas exposed: First, the back of your neck. Spend a day out on a boat with the back of your neck uncovered and see how sunburnt you will get. Second, the tops of your ears. This one might seem like a little thing, but it is one of the most common spots for skin cancer to pop up. Cancer prevention is one of the main reasons I wear a hat all the time. I am out in the sun all day almost every day, and my Grandfather had problems with skin cancer on his nose and ears. That's all the encouragement I need. Wear those hats, and use sunscreen.

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Maybe we could convince the Tilley people to make a limited number of hats with the Groundspeak logo on them?

Now THAT would be cool. I'll take a T2 model with the logo anyday!

Maybe get the hat and sew the Groundspeak patch onto it?

The key is to have a few hats, not just one. Get a lightweight (maybe mesh vented) hat with a brim for hot weather use. Get a more durable, thicker hat for cold weather use.

I had a friend came to visit from out of state, and it rained for 5 days straight. Finally I decided I had to go out and get some exercise, so we grabbed some rain jackets and I grabbed a couple hats. My friend proceeded to tell me how he hates hats, that I looked like a dork, etc. Once we gout outside and he'd been rained on for 30 minutes, I offered him the hat again. He wore it, and when he got back home, we went out and bought one. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Botrytisfree and Erwinia:

One other note about hats... Baseball caps are fine, they definitely keep the sun out of your eyes. But they leave a couple of important areas exposed: First, the back of your neck. Spend a day out on a boat with the back of your neck uncovered and see how sunburnt you will get. Second, the tops of your ears. This one might seem like a little thing, but it is one of the most common spots for skin cancer to pop up. Cancer prevention is one of the main reasons I wear a hat all the time. I am out in the sun all day almost every day, and my Grandfather had problems with skin cancer on his nose and ears. That's all the encouragement I need. Wear those hats, and use sunscreen.

True, but in a pinch, the baseball cap can cover those sensitive areas on the side the sun is shining. I have been seen driving with my bill on the window side, or walking with my hat cocked in a funny direction just to help protect from the direct rays when I'm starting to get a burn.

I have about 20 baseball caps with different designs (mostly WB cartoon type), had 3 wide brim hats - 2 straw and a convass (one straw hat was recently destroyed in a 6 hour rain storm). The canvass is soaked in duck oil for water repelling and will outlast a 12 hour rain storm before it starts to leak.

Here's a pic of one of my favorite hats.

image153.jpg

Cheers!

TL

I have 2 Tilley hats. Wear them all the time. One is a T3 that has snaps like the Aussie hats. Quite dashing! The other is a T4 with wide brim. It is also great for driving to cut down glare. I hardly use my visor it the car.

Tilley has new hats with vent mesh aroubd the brim to reduce heat. Called Airflo models.

I am saving for one.

Here's another vote for Tilley for caching (Resistol for riding). The T3 is super and well worth the investment. Check out eBay for some good prices.

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."--Sherlock Holmes

Wearing a hat is easier than removing ticks from one's scalp, so I always wear a hat. My two favorites are my orange "Cool as a Moose" cap and my red/black NJ Jackals baseball cap.

My wife has informed me that it's time to replace my "Cool as a Moose" cap, as it has become almost as 'fragrant' as our daughter's soccer shin guards. icon_wink.gif