Do you wear a hat?

I'll generally wear a floppy brimmed hat to protect my face and neck from the sun. Although, lately the caches i've gone after have had so much canopy I'm not sure the sun is even there.

"When action grows unprofitable, gather information. When information grows unprofitable, sleep." - Ursula LeGuin

If you sew Velcro (hook) to the top of the hat,

and then glue velcro (loop, pile) onto the bottom of your GPSr, you can put it atop your head.

It continues to receive sattelites, and doesn't get lost, unless you stick your head into tight spaces.

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

During the summer, a Tilley is hard to beat. In winter, you need better head protection than that. Proof of that is this unauthorized picture of the Tilley Innovation, Research, and Evaluation Detachment (TIRED) during a very secret testing session here in Quebec.

george-hats.jpg

JK! It's a silly hat contest we held last winter. I'm the guy with a replica of the moon (complete with LEM and command module orbiting) in the last row.

Edited by Userzero

Tilley TM10 Mesh Hat. I have one of these, love it. Not warm enough in the winter but mid to late spring to mid to late fall it is my caching hat of choice.

I keep thinking about spending the little bit extra and buying a tilley. My birthday's in March so maybe I'll just do it then.

Worth it. You wont regret it. If you can, try to find a local retailer and check out the different models and sizes.

I wear a toque! A Thinsulate toque no less!

It isn't fashionable but when the mercury hits -25 or -30 fashion is forgotten, I see a lot of people wearing toques lately.

It is a toque kind of year.

-13c and dropping here in Buffalo. We don't average as cold as you but when the mercury falls the ears get covered. Now days my "toque" is covered by my hood. I find if my ears are warm and my toes are dry the rest of me is happy.

I have 2 Tilley hats. Wear them all the time. One is a T3 that has snaps like the Aussie hats. Quite dashing! The other is a T4 with wide brim. It is also great for driving to cut down glare. I hardly use my visor it the car. <BR>Tilley has new hats with vent mesh aroubd the brim to reduce heat. Called Airflo models.<BR>I am saving for one.

I have a Tilley Airflo and it is the best hat in the world. Remember that the proper fit for a Tilley is not to have a tight fit. On windy days just use the chin straps. Here is the link to my hat. My Tilley Airflo

You can't go wrong! :cry:

I wear a tilly as well and just soak it in streams we cross over to keep my nugget nice and cool. :D

edit to add: the bonus is you can spray repellent on your hat instead of your head and avoid the nasty taste in your mouth of overspray. :D

Here is a tip on Tilly hats. while Tilly says if the hats get stained from perspuration that the staine cannot be removed. Well I found that Oxy-CLean will leave my Tilly hat looking like new.

I got my Tilley TH-4 Hemp hat the other day. My intitial impression is that this is one well made hat. I love the pocket in the top and it feels soooo comfy sitting on my grape. It sits low on my head and shields my eyes and back of the neck very well. It sure looks miles better than my old Army issue Desert boonie hat and the Seattle sombrero. I'll post again later with further info if I can remember to do it.

-Mark.

I wear a tilly as well and just soak it in streams we cross over to keep my nugget nice and cool. :D

edit to add: the bonus is you can spray repellent on your hat instead of your head and avoid the nasty taste in your mouth of overspray. :huh:

Here is a tip on Tilly hats. while Tilly says if the hats get stained from perspuration that the staine cannot be removed. Well I found that Oxy-CLean will leave my Tilly hat looking like new.

That's not a stain, that's a badge of honor! -_- And if you wear it long enough, it's all one color! I kid, I kid, but I've dipped into so many lake and streams that it's more or less all one dingy mud color nowadays. :D

I was wondering if anyone wears a hat in the heat. Evertime I go out geocaching I wonder if I will get hotter as they say a hat holds the heat in your body or does it shade the sun? Let me know what you think.<BR><BR>"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

Usually a gray fadora (Raiders of the Lost Arc type) when I'm doing photography or my boonie

I wear an Iowa Hawkeye hat in good weather and a floppy hat when we have a couple days of summer and I wear my "mad bomber" fur lined in the winter which seems to be 7+ months. :)

It might be spring by the calender, but we still are trying to melt our snow in the Red River Valley of the North, so we can have another flood.

I love me some hats... I usually wear a wool cowboy type hat but can be seen in baseball caps or even the recently purchased hard hat (along with vest and clipboard) when looking for a tough urban cache where, since i cache solo, it tends to be a little bit of an explanation for the odd poking around behavior of some random dude.

On tilley hats: My grandfather loved his and even formed friendships based on traveling and having other tilley wearers recognize it. My dad wears his tilley hat every single day; as a dermatologist he's keen on sun protection but this has transcended that and become more "him" than anything :laughing:

Fun topic B)