hunter orange

Guest retired for cache

Guest retired for cache

I just got started caching & live in Wisconsin and hunting season is just getting started. So I'm going to wear hunter orange while caching in the woods. I don't know if this thread has ever been discucsed ? Retired for cache. Thoughts ?

Guest Markwell

Deer season in Wisconsin? I'd wear flourescent yellow and orange and carry a loud boom box whereever I go that played a tape saying "I'm a human don't shoot" over and over again.

Not to worry - they use bullets made of cheese icon_smile.gif

Seriously, as hunting season begins all over the country it is highly recommended for anyone going into the forest to wear bright colored clothing or at least a hat unless you know for certain it's a no hunting area.

Stay safe

Not to worry - they use bullets made of cheese icon_smile.gif

Seriously, as hunting season begins all over the country it is highly recommended for anyone going into the forest to wear bright colored clothing or at least a hat unless you know for certain it's a no hunting area.

Stay safe

Chartreuse!!!!

No, and I repeat NO self respecting WISCONSIN hunter would be caught out in the woods wearing CHARTREUSE!

Heck, we couldn't even spell it if it weren't on the page in front of me to copy!

And up here, the deer have taken to smoken the butts left by Illinois Geocachers, so don't try coughing to reveal yourself, you'd sound just like a deer.

Being a deer hunter and a geocacher. I feel you should not be in the woods geocaching during Deer season. The hunters send alot of monie every year to go out hunting the big buck. Bowhunting and firearm deer season is from Nov. to midlle of Dec. here in MI. I feel the hunters should have the woods for hunting for that time zone.

Guest Gliderguy

As I mentioned above, some states have really liberal archery seasons, especially in the south. Total avoidance may be unrealistic in these places.

I think any co-operation and understanding that outdoor using groups develop amongst themselves only helps in the long term, when we all are facing similar land-use issues from those who sit in their officies and decide what people should and should not be doing.

Arffer: I forgot how deep voiced those deer up north are. Here a snort sounds like Pee-Wee Herman trying to dislodge a chunk of popcorn from his nose...

Maybe more a throat clearing sound rather than a short cough would be more prudent.

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 08 September 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by Gliderguy:

If you are really concerned, whistle to yourself or cough occasionally. Making human noises like these also may decrease your odds of a close encounter with a big predator such as a bear or cougar.

I'd think the typical, "Where the hell is that cache?", "Dang, now the arrow is pointing THAT way!" and "Oh man, I knew I should have used fresh alkalines!" would do the trick. icon_smile.gif

Scott

redd@interbug.com

http://interbug.com/pigeon

quote:
Originally posted by Gliderguy:

If you are really concerned, whistle to yourself or cough occasionally. Making human noises like these also may decrease your odds of a close encounter with a big predator such as a bear or cougar.

I'd think the typical, "Where the hell is that cache?", "Dang, now the arrow is pointing THAT way!" and "Oh man, I knew I should have used fresh alkalines!" would do the trick. icon_smile.gif

Scott

redd@interbug.com

http://interbug.com/pigeon

Guest bunkerdave

In my neck of the woods (no pun intended) it is comical to observe the mass exodus to the mountains each fall weekend as so many head to the hills to "git their deer." I for one will not be heading to deer country until the shooting is over. We actually had a guy leave his one-year old in the truck last year while he went off hunting. The kid got out, got lost, and died of exposure. Not the kind of person you want to get near when he's armed. Or otherwise, I'd guess.