What skills/equipment should geocachers have?

This topic was inspired by this thread.

The pursuit of this game known as geocaching has sent many people delving deep into the forests and fields of the world. Many of these neophyte explorers are unprepared to deal with realistic emergencies that can happen either through inexperience, ignorance, or improper equipment. Obviously, I'm not talking about the average 1/1 walk in the park but rather, the caches with terrain ratings of 4 or 5.

So, my question is: What skills/equipment do you feel are necessary to posess before embarking on a cross-country geocaching adventure?

I'll start.

1. Know how to use your GPS. (seems obvious but I guess it's not)

2. Carry extra batteries.

3. Carry the "10 essentials". Know how to use them. Again, this seems like common sense but how many people carry a magnesium fire starter but have never tried using it? How do you know it will work if you've never tried it?

4. Know what it's like to spend the night in the woods. Get some camping/backpacking time under your belt.

There's more but that's all I time for. I'm sure people will be able to add lots of good stuff to this list.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something."

-- Plato

I didn't see "cell phone" listed on the essentials. A hiking staff is recommended & useful, too!

As for skills, be able to walk without tripping over everything in your path while glancing at the GPS!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

I didn't see "cell phone" listed on the essentials. A hiking staff is recommended & useful, too!

As for skills, be able to walk without tripping over everything in your path while glancing at the GPS!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

A cell phone is a nice to have, but...

A cell phone isn't always a reliable tool and it is too easy to depend upon to get out of trouble. I can't speak for other areas, but here in the NW, the likelihood of finding yourself in a cellular blackhole is very real. Even Verizon doesn't cover my home very well and I'm 1 mile from the I-405 corridor.

Can you hear me... now? icon_rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

TL

Criminal wrote:

Don't pet a burning dog. /QUOTE]

To follow with my geopal Fishingfool's sig line:

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

You'll need a GPS. Reading the manual is optional. No real man reads the manual first.

Skills: Basically none, though making up excuses for going out on short notice are handy. 90% of what you'll learn about actual caching will be figured out on your first 20 or so.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt1344:

quote:
this seems like common sense but how many people carry a magnesium fire starter but have never tried using it?

I think you're taking this game MUCH too seriously . . .

Keep in mind we are discussing a terrain of 4 or 5, which would require special equipment, a long hike into the wilderness and/or an overnight stay

quote:
Obviously, I'm not talking about the average 1/1 walk in the park but rather, the caches with terrain ratings of 4 or 5.