News report: Iraq war may affect GPS service.

Nikan

So many things rely on GPS these days that it would be almost catastrophic for them to shut it down. We lived with GPS 'jitter' for years before they shut it off and it was never a real hinderance to geocaching. According to the article, the USAF can localize jamming, so I doubt any of us will experience any changes in service during the potential upcoming war.

quote:
Insiders say the most likely option would be "selective denial of service on a regional basis", though in extremis the whole non-military system could be shut down.

"In an extreme case, if things were going very badly wrong, they could switch off the civil system altogether," said one military GPS expert. "But that really would be the 'nuclear option' because it would cause so much disruption around the world."

If they use selective denial on the region of Irag, not many cachers will be affected, and the ones that are probably will have more important things to worry about then geocaching.

If they shut down the civilian system totally, it will be because nuclear weapons are coming into play, and most of us won't be around to geocache much longer anyway. icon_frown.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Nikan:

There are some rumors being reported that civil GPS service may be downgraded during a conflict in Iraq.

Full rumors are being reported by the http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1045511354557

This could make Geocaching interesting around the world.

I ran a quick satellite footprint view on my ham radio satellite tracking program. And it is possible that the footprint of satellites will cover Great Britain and the middle east at the same time. So if the service is degraded (SA turned on) it will also effect Europe, North Africa, and West Asia.

Now, wether they keep SA on over the Western Hemisphere or not is another question. Like the war or not, if giving up geocaching for the duration will make the soldiers safer and end it quicker, I am all for it. My son is in the Scout Platoon, 3rd Squadron.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:

I ran a quick satellite footprint view on my ham radio satellite tracking program. And it is possible that the footprint of satellites will cover Great Britain and the middle east at the same time. So if the service is degraded (SA turned on) it will also effect Europe, North Africa, and West Asia.

I think the trigonometry involved allows them to be a bit more localised than that. To quote the FT article - "Something similar happened during US operations in Bosnia, which caused temporary trouble in Italy" - seems to imply that it's not going to knock out an entire hemisphere, just a few neighbouring countries.

quote:
Originally posted by kitsune:

So many things rely on GPS these days that it would be almost catastrophic for them to shut it down. We lived with GPS 'jitter' for years before they shut it off and it was never a real hinderance to geocaching.

Huh? Geocaching BEGAN AFTER it was turned off. It would have been nearly impossible before.

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

quote:
Originally posted by ScottJ:

Huh? Geocaching BEGAN AFTER it was turned off. It would have been nearly impossible before.

Odd -- I could have sworn it existed beforehand. *shrug* I need more coffee.

I remember when the announcement came that the DoD had turned of SA. I ran outside, switched the GPS on and... didn't notice much of a difference. I still get similar 'position error' readings as I did when SA was on. Maybe I never get a good enough signal to get those excellent position fixes that you're supposed to get post-SA.

ScottJ is correct. SA was turned off May 1st, 2000.

[This message was edited by kitsune on March 06, 2003 at 11:55 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

I want to hide some caches in Iraq and Iran!

--majicman

My son, ARMY SCOUT, has asked if we want a cache in the palace in baghdad. But I think we need to get it to him quick if we really want to do this.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

Where would the media/journo's be without something to write about icon_razz.gif, right or wrong

Funny that this type of stuff comes out of Europe and funny how there's this comparison between their "yet to be developed" system and GPS.

Also heard a "rumour" icon_biggrin.gif that Galileo's new motto is "Better late than never" icon_cool.gif, but we'll also have to wait some more to see how true that is.

The media is generally very short sighted and last week is forgotten about but then they probably wrote much the same before Afghanistan and shock of all shocks, what happened icon_confused.gif. But if one keeps dusting the same old story off, different location, then who knows but nothing has changed since Afghanistan and lots have changed since the original Gulf War with the systems capabilities.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

I'd really like the soldiers and airman over in Iraq to deliver many caches over there.!! These would be like.....ultra micros....about the size of a .223 cartridge case....."left cache,,,but forgot the log......just look for the pile of caches,,,mine is one of them......" lol.....this whole thing won't take long in my estimation.......

We're going on a treasure hunt...we're not quite sure just where...but with our trusty GPS, we'll find a cache stashed there!!

By Daughter Cheryl

US troops took one of Saddam's presidential palaces in downtown Baghdad today.

I'm going to be watching for a new cache in the area!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

I want to hide some caches in Iraq and Iran!

--majicman

My son, ARMY SCOUT, has asked if we want a cache in the palace in baghdad. But I think we need to get it to him quick if we really want to do this.

El Paso, Texas.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.