Caches made out of Altoid Tins

I have placed a couple caches that were micros made from Altoid Tins within baggies. I have had some problems with the baggies getting ripped and the tins rusting. Has anyone tried Altoid tins before (I am sure they have), and if so is there anything I can coat them with to help resist rust?

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page

Yeah that has been my problem. Actually this weekend I am going to replace two of them, one with a Regular cache (rubbermaid container) and the other with a Hide-a-key.

I have another container that I am also going to have to replace because even though it looked water tight it sure wasn't a rubbermaid.

I like micro caches, do you know if there is any place to buy empty 35mm canisters?

A different thread I was reading said to go to Wal-Mart (obviuosly there will be one nearby) and ask at the photo lab for their empties. As far as the Altoids tin, I was going to glue a magnet into one and turn it into a cheap knock off of a hide-a-key thingee. I wasn't even thinking about the rust factor. icon_frown.gif And I gues the hide-a-key thingees are not that expensive anyway.

Nah I picked up a two pack of Hide-A-Keys at autozone for like $2 or so. I am not sure about the waterproof factor with them either though. These are plastic, but they look like it might be slightly possible for water to get into the log book. I like the Altoid tins, but I only had them hidden for a week before the first log complaining about them rusting already.

Thanks for the tip about going to Wally World for some empty 35mm containers, had not thought of that. As I have digital cameras I don't ever run across the containers.

I was thinking about using a CD Spindle, but I doubt they could be waterproofed very easily.

Lately I have been seeing on the site caches that are in what appears to be matchstick containers.

I am not as big into the swapping trinkets and all. We do some, but for the most part I enjoy micros a little more. Virtuals are okay, and even though I have done a few, I wonder how many people actually go to the location, and how many just look up the questions on the web.

Anyway back to the topic, is there a perticular paint that is rust resistant, I am assuming that there is.

I have a Atriod tin cache. I painted it silver, glued a magnet under it and stuck it on the side of a bridge. I should stay dry there. I havn't had any complaints about rusting as of yet. Its been out there for about 4 months.

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

What's this rust-stuff you speak of?

I think its called Rustolium. (At least thats what I use) Its a special spray paint that prevents rusting. You can buy it at your local Walmart.

I have one that uses a fossil watch tin. I put the log into a baggie and stuffed it into the tin. The tin will still get wet and rust, but the baggie has more protection against tearing.

I got my film containers from a local pro photography supplier. They have a bin (big garbage can, really) in the lobby so everyone can help themselves. They have a good selection of type and color. You can also go to any photo processing place and ask for them. They gladly give them away.

Sbell111,

As we are in the same area, could you tell me the location of the place, or at least give me a clue, thanks!!!

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I have one that uses a fossil watch tin. I put the log into a baggie and stuffed it into the tin. The tin will still get wet and rust, but the baggie has more protection against tearing.

I got my film containers from a local pro photography supplier. They have a bin (big garbage can, really) in the lobby so everyone can help themselves. They have a good selection of type and color. You can also go to any photo processing place and ask for them. They gladly give them away.

I use rustolium when I paint my ammo cans and so far so good. I do recommend using 2 or 3 coats of the spray paint for good measure so its harder to scratch off.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

The Department of Redundancy Department

A geocache a day keeps the debtors away (cause your never home to take the call...)

They're not the best containers in areas that get a lot of rain. If you must use it, take the advice of others here and paint it. Also, place the plastic bag INSIDE. A small snack sized Ziploc will do the trick, or go to a crafts store and get a pack of 2x3 zippper lock bags. They fit nicely inside, without folding much.

As far as film canisters, they aren't as waterproof as you would think. I noticed that the Kodak canister's lids don't seal very well. But I have older Kodak canisters with tightly sealing lids. It seems that over the past few years, they changed something. Maybe other brands do a better job of keeping out the water, but I haven't experimented with them.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
I like micro caches, do you know if there is any place to buy empty 35mm canisters?

Go to ANY place that does film developing (where they have the machine in-house, like the one hour photo shops) and ask them for some. Generally, they will give you a trash bag full and tell you to take them ALL, and say "please". icon_smile.gif

They throw away large bags of them every day.

If the place doesn't have a one-hour photo, then you probably will come up empty. You need to go to a lab that actually does their own processing right in the building.

Good luck.

www.geocky.org

I am a wuss...I have given up trying to find Altoid or micro caches. I get to frustrated and the people with me usually get mad at me for suggesting we look for that needle in the haystack. So I am no longer looking for micro caches ....wait...that is unless I take a metal detector and it is an Altoids CAN.

There is a cache called "lets do dallas" in Dallas n.c. that is also an altoids tin painted flat black, and stuck to the under carrage of a caboose. It is by far my toughest find yet! Blends perfectly into surroundings even in plain sight!

quote:
Originally posted by Night Stalker:

I recently found a cache that was in the mini altoids tin. The tin had been painted flat black so it probably would not rust. It was hidden in the under carraige on a caboose. Very difficult find. Micro caches are products of warped minds.

"Either get busy living, or get busy dying"-Tim Robbins, The Shawshank Redemption

Painted flat black using Rustoleum, paint has held up for a year. The cache is not completely exposed to the elements, so that's in my favor. I did put the contents inside into a baggie. It does get damp but seems to be holding up overall.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I have an Altoids container cache that I've painted and clear-coated. I've only recently placed it so I'll have to see how it holds up to the elements. Magnets from the insides of hard drives ar an excelent choice for holding them to metal. They are very powerful. I just stuck one inside and it has all the gripping power necessary.

> Has anyone tried those new "mini" altoids

> containers yet? Don't know what you'd use for

> a log book - but what an EVIL hide these

> would make!

To log the cache you must e-mail the cache owner with the number or word that has been painted on the inside.

And Akulakat's container is indeed absolutely evil. Hmmmmm. I've got one of those little containers around somewhere. . . .

89355_500.gif

Wally-world does recycle their film canisters. I stopped by there twice to see about getting some for CITO containers, and they gave me about 25 total. So just check around, some places are happy to give you all the ones they have.

Last week while doing a multi-cache, I found the film canister on the ground, with a big hole in the bottom where some critter chewed through it. The cache was recently placed too - I was the first finder.

On the other hand, I know someone that used an Altoids tin for one of the stops on their multi-cache. A newbie cacher posted a Not Found for the cache, but diligently trashed out the area (including the Altoids tin!)

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

Last week while doing a multi-cache, I found the film canister on the ground, with a big hole in the bottom where some critter chewed through it. The cache was recently placed too - I was the first finder.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Why do I just not believe you were the first finder? Then again, maybe the owner planted it this way as a decoy for the real cache. Hmmmm quite devious.

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience."

I was wondering if a strip of electrical tape around the seam would help waterproof an altoids tin?

I placed a painted altoids micro last week and got a report that the log was damp after a rain storm.

Seems that the water runoff of the roof of the building just reaches the cache. I am thinking of putting a strip of tape around the tin as well as a couple spare strips on the inside lid. It may keep the water off of the seam and prevent rusting.

Problem would be finders who throw away the tape.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
posted July 21, 2003 07:03 PM

akulakat, how did you get the dirt stuck on?? (eeevil!!) i did an art project thingy where i mixed dirt with rubber cement and then tried to attach it to masonite with yet more rubber cement, but it started to come off after a year or two. i think it was just too thick and heavy.

Email me and I'll tell ya. mike@akulakat.com

Originally posted by Bilder:

I was wondering if a strip of electrical tape around the seam would help waterproof an altoids tin?

I placed a painted altoids micro last week and got a report that the log was damp after a rain storm.

Seems that the water runoff of the roof of the building just reaches the cache. I am thinking of putting a strip of tape around the tin as well as a couple spare strips on the inside lid. It may keep the water off of the seam and prevent rusting.

Silicon plumbers tape is another thought. It's meant to stop leaks, and it stays. Also, camo tape your tins. That tends to stick pretty well. It's just colored duct tape. Adds some girth and weight.

I can't think of any way to make an Altoids tin waterproof other than sealing it in a Ziploc bag, which will last until the bag rips.

The key is hiding it on a spot where it won't be subject to getting wet.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I agree that the standard rectangular Altoids tins are not very waterproof. However

the round two piece ones are VERY waterproof. I have one that has four hard drive magnets glued to the inside and is magnetically attached on the very top of a very exposed metal structure. The magnets hold so securely it almost requires a pry bar to remove it. icon_razz.gif I have been back to inspect it and found the log inside to be dry other than some minor condensation.

I have a micro that was an Altoids tin that has lasted a year.

It was painted flat black with RustOleum, however, I did make a mistake by not painting the inside as well.

There's a little rust forming on the inside so I'm replacing it this weekend but it has held up quite well - plastic bag inside of course.

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"