Found members only cache by non members "On purpose"

quote:
Originally posted by Rocknroll:

There is enough information on the web pages to get to members only cache. A little work is involed but it is there. This for non members and Jeremy so he can fix it if he wants to. I still will be a member some day.

So which of your 23 finds were members only caches you found by other means? "I've an inquiring mind; I want to know."

I think he is referring to triangulation of the cache area as being discussed in another thread.

This would allow a person to locate the area of a member's only cache (unless it was an offset cache). A thorough search (and a little luck) would result in the find. I don't see how it could be logged to the website, however.

I had never thought of that. I just derived the coordinates of Moonshine Mountain by OUTSID4EVR & MAJELLIN by triangulating it from the three nearest caches. The error due to the rounding of distances to the nearest 100th of a mile was 131 feet. That's a pretty large search area.

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi:

I had never thought of that. I just derived the coordinates of Moonshine Mountain by OUTSID4EVR & MAJELLIN by triangulating it from the three nearest caches. The error due to the rounding of distances to the nearest 100th of a mile was 131 feet. That's a pretty large search area.

If you trianglated from a larger number of known points, wouldn't you eventually narrow down the search area?

25021_1200.gif

even though it would be cheating in a way I would like to know if this would be helpful in finding a MO cache. If you triangulate to an area then hide a or 2 cache in that general area you will have some closer points to triangulate.

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll