The official FRS channel

I'm just wondering if anyone has successfully contacted another cacher by this method yet.

Since the matter was decided, I've brought my radio along on about 60 caches and dutifully made calls on both channels leaving the car and arriving at the cache. No responses yet ... (I also didn't meet any non-radio equipped cachers on those hikes.)

I think that, once the GeoCaching FRS channel gets a bit of high-vis promotion (mention on the main GeoCaching.com webpage or FAQ perhaps?), the number of folks who use it - along with your chances of contacting one of them - will increase. That aside, the other thing to remember is that if you're the only one hunting a specific cache at a given time in the first place, you won't be crossing paths with another GeoCacher anyway (with or without an FRS radio).

Frankly, I think that - in the vast majority of cases -, the GeoCaching FRS channel will likely be used as a means of coord'ing the activities *within* a single GeoCaching group; to contact other GeoCachers outside of your group would be the exception rather than an expectation (just as bumping into another GeoCacher on the trail 'in person' would be). Regardless, I look forward to those times when I might hear another group of GeoCachers chatting their way into a cache 'on air'. icon_smile.gif

I think that, once the GeoCaching FRS channel gets a bit of high-vis promotion (mention on the main GeoCaching.com webpage or FAQ perhaps?), the number of folks who use it - along with your chances of contacting one of them - will increase. That aside, the other thing to remember is that if you're the only one hunting a specific cache at a given time in the first place, you won't be crossing paths with another GeoCacher anyway (with or without an FRS radio).

Frankly, I think that - in the vast majority of cases -, the GeoCaching FRS channel will likely be used as a means of coord'ing the activities *within* a single GeoCaching group; to contact other GeoCachers outside of your group would be the exception rather than an expectation (just as bumping into another GeoCacher on the trail 'in person' would be). Regardless, I look forward to those times when I might hear another group of GeoCachers chatting their way into a cache 'on air'. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

... Frankly, I think that - in the vast majority of cases -, the GeoCaching FRS channel will likely be used as a means of coord'ing the activities *within* a single GeoCaching group; to contact other GeoCachers outside of your group would be the exception rather than an expectation (just as bumping into another GeoCacher on the trail 'in person' would be). ...

I agree with you there, which was why I thought we really didn't need to designate an official channel. But since it has been established, I thought I'd give it a try and see if anything develops.

In response to a part of your message I didn't quote, there have been many times when I've visited a cache an hour or less before or after another cacher ... I think it happened 4 times this past weekend, so the potential of "catching them" (or me) on the radio existed.

Let's face it, the odds of running into another cacher are already pretty small (though they tend to go up the first few days a cache is placed). Multiply that times the odds that any nearby cacher will have a turned-on FRS, and it goes into the "why bother" range.

Setting up a standardized frequency is fine for planned events and meetings, but that's about it.

3608_1400.gif

I don't beleive Jeremy has had time to place it anywhere on the geocaching.com page yet either (at least I haven't noticed it), so there is a small percentage of people that know about the channel AND use FRS radios.

Women are like guns, keep one around long enough and you're going to want to shoot it.

Don't most FRS radios have a scanning option? I've got a fairly cheap pair of radios (around here somewhere) and I know that you can just set it to scan the 14 channels for activity instead of having to sit on a specific channel waiting for folks to show up.

Those radios are great fun during county fairs, etc... everybody and their brother has em, and everyone thinks that you are talking to them. Get on and say "Hey honey, can you bring me some fries when you come back?" for a little fun. "Hey, hurry up and get back here - someone just ran into your car!" That is another one that tends to get a few replies. icon_smile.gif

I suppose that isn't a very nice thing to do. icon_razz.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Don't most FRS radios have a scanning option? I've got a fairly cheap pair of radios (around here somewhere) and I know that you can just set it to scan the 14 channels for activity instead of having to sit on a specific channel waiting for folks to show up.

Those radios are great fun during county fairs, etc... everybody and their brother has em, and everyone thinks that you are talking to them. Get on and say "Hey honey, can you bring me some fries when you come back?" for a little fun. "Hey, hurry up and get back here - someone just ran into your car!" That is another one that tends to get a few replies. icon_smile.gif

I suppose that isn't a very nice thing to do. icon_razz.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Uhhh, just what IS the official geocache channel?

I haven't seen it posted anywhere...

I've seen lots of discussion about lots of channels, but no official channel.

Looks like 2, 12, and 4 were popular choices, but what was the final decision?

[This message was edited by LongDogs on October 01, 2002 at 09:41 PM.]