Vote Geocaching in the People's Voice Awards!

iryshe

I voted twice. Once from work, and once from home. Hey, I read the site from both places, don't I. And I print my cache pages here, that color laser is so much nicer than my HP at home. So why not vote from both places. I also proxy-voted for Army_Scout, who is still in Iraq, and not likely to be home till after voting closes. Desert Kid voted herself. Hmmmm, wonder what her E-mail address is at school......

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

We're starting to lose steam. Apparently there is a write-in campaign going on with one group with an absolutely awful web site. If you haven't voted, help us stay in the running!

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

Looks like the People's Voice Awards is basically a contest to see who can create the most disposable email accounts. We may still hang on to win, but to do so, we'll probably have to play the same game of voting from numerous accounts.

Meanwhile the REAL contest, the WEBBY, is selected by a group of panelists without a public vote. One of the panelists is Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert. I think Dilbert would enjoy Geocaching!

I don't think write-ins happen in the Webby's so we're up against the other 4 nominees. I'm admittedly slightly biased, but this is the way I see the others:

Videonation: Requires a download to view anything on the site. Sure, it's just Realplayer, but still......

livejournal.com - first screen says it's free but second screen says it's free only if you have a "friend" who already has it.

meetup.com - the way it's set up, the meeting would be over by the time I pulled it up.

nervousness.org - Looks like they're actually pulling for livejournal to win it. Also, after spending 15 minutes on their site, I still don't have the slightest idea what they're about!

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

[This message was edited by pater47 on May 19, 2003 at 10:06 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by AllenLacy:

I just noticed that "We the People" website has a link to a detailed page on how to vote for it.

http://www.wethepeoplemd.com/help.asp

Egads, it looks like they spent more time on the "how to vote" page than the entire website. I sure hope Geocaching.com doesn't lose to this crappy site.

On a bright note, Geocaching.com has jumped up to 30% from 25% yesterday. "WethePeople" has dropped 1% after gaining all last week. Hopefully we'll be able to hold onto our lead.

--CoronaKid

I came across this message in the discussion for the personal site category, where 'somehow' icon_rolleyes.gif shukoor.com, an under-construction write-in website, has managed to get a higher percentage of the vote than the five nominated sites combined:

quote:

shukoor runs v-empower.com, and they run a number of websites that are dominating the write-in-categories in these webby awards.

Check these categories:

education: indiademocracy.com

community: wethepeoplemd.com

services: ezquestionnaire.com

technical achievement: statedemocracy.com

spirituality: alislam.org

personal: jackjohnson2002.com

govt&law: statedemocracy.com

activism: weblobbying.com

best practices: statedemocracy.com

all are run by v-empower.com

Seems that there's a bit of elaborate cheatery going on in webbys this year. I can't believe the webby people haven't yanked these sites, but it would be really REALLY sad if geocaching lost to same lame crap like this. Just think of what a dominating percentage of the vote geocaching.com would have if wethepeoplemd wasn't there. Nevertheless, vote, people!

[This message was edited by ooga booga on May 20, 2003 at 06:47 PM.]

From the voting page:

quote:
Your vote has been cast!

Where are the instant polling results?

To maintain an element of surprise the instant results feature is now turned off. Winners will be announced at www.webbyawards.com, Thursday, June 5. RSVP at www.webbyawards.com/rsvp to attend the event. Winners will be revealed to registered revelers only.

Voting, however, continues through May 23, 2003, so you've still got time to vote in other categories.

Still time to vote, people!

- From the shallow end of the gene pool. -

May be too late, but could this vote have been made a event cache? With the confirmation email has proof for cache find.

Would that have helped?

Just a thought icon_rolleyes.gif

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

An event cache report has been sent in.

Not sure if it will be approved.

Cache GCG54C

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

quote:
Originally posted by ooga booga:

all are run by v-empower.com

I was really wondering how these write-in sites were dominating some of the categories. It just seemed so unlikely for them to have such a grassroots movement, especially after seeing some of the sites. This definitely clears things up a bit.

I voted way back when, and when Jeremy sent that note out I was tempted to use some of my other e-mail addresses to vote with, but decided against it. Now I'm glad that I didn't lower myself to that sort of trickery. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"