GPS Recommendations?

Guest Nomad

Guest Nomad

I'm sure this is the most common question asked here, but gimme a break I just learned of this sport today (through an article in The Baltimore Sun). It sounds like alot of fun and I'd like to take it up, but obviouslly I need a GPS. So please, if you could, recommend a good GPS for me. Here's a couple of specs I've nailed down:

-Lightweight, preferably pocket size

-around $200 (U.S.)

-waterproof (one that floats would be nice)

-map display

If you don't feel like writing a review, any good websites would also be appreciated. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

-See you in the log book.

Guest Quinnow

Hey Bud...be sure you get what you really want. Take your time and research options and prices, a good place to start for prices is on "mysimon.com" or also on Ebay auctions. I have seen several units there that are brand new and about 30% less than store prices.

I have a garmin GPS III Plus and love the heck out of it, it has mapping and sevral other options that some GPS units don't have.

Also don't forget that you might want to buy a gps by clicking a store link with the geocaching website, this way some of the money you use to buy it will go back into the site itself to help maintain it( Though I have been a bit lacking in that field myself)But check around get tons of advice and make your choice from there...good luck!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Anton

Greetings,

I like my Garmin 12MAP: handheld shape, displays maps on screen, tough, waterproof, has a jack for an external antenna, takes map downloards from Garmin MapSource CDs, and has the position averaging function for laying a cache accurately. Price ~$283.

Safe Trac GPS Store - good pricing

http://www.safetracgps.com/

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest 300mag

Good luck in your next purchase and geocache hunt. You can get some more info on this site

www.joe.mehaffey.com you will get revues on lots of different models there icon_smile.gif

Also one thing recomended is check how much usage time you'll get with your batteries.Some units really munch them.Like mine.lowrance gm100

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 03-20-2001).]

Guest 300mag

Good luck in your next purchase and geocache hunt. You can get some more info on this site

www.joe.mehaffey.com you will get revues on lots of different models there icon_smile.gif

Also one thing recomended is check how much usage time you'll get with your batteries.Some units really munch them.Like mine.lowrance gm100

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 03-20-2001).]

Guest proxien

We're using the Magellan MAP 330M and are quite happy with it. We went with a mapping unit so that we could use it anywhere and have some street references without having to use laptop based software.

The 330M (M is for marine) has navaids and bouys etc in the base map and costs an extra $20. I don't really do any water navigation, but for the extra money, The CDROM and cable come in the box, but with the land unit you have to send away for the CDROM. Since I am into quick gratification I wanted the CDROM in my hands the same day as the GPS.

The software--MapSend Streets--is pretty decent but it does not include any Point of Interest info and seems to be a little dated, maybe three years old? One nice thign about the software is that you can store up to 4 non-contiguous zones and send them to the GPS.

The 8mb of flash memeory in the 330 seems to be about the right size for me, I do most of my car travels in the southeast quadrant of PA and managed to get everything from Harrisburg to Trenton NJ (as far north as I-80 and south to the MD line) stored in about 7 megs of memory.

Good luck and happy caching!

------------------

Mike Newman

tenmilesaway.com

nothing is there

[This message has been edited by proxien (edited 03-21-2001).]