Burying cache containers

I was thinking of having a cache this summer where I bury it in the sand at a beach. I have 2 questions...

1) Is this kind of cache acceptable? It's not like disturbing soil or anything, or does it take the fun out of it by having to dig.

2) What kind of container would last the longest, be most durable in sand?

I think they allow burying caches in the sand at a beach. What TPTB object to is a cache that requires the use of a shovel, pick or similar item to place and/or retreive it.

Consider the likelyhood however that your cache will be quickly found by one of those beach combers with metal detectors, or some kids digging in the sand. From what I've read, beach caches don't seem to last very long.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

This would be more of a sandbar cache, and only get to it by boat. It's setup with a beach on the front of the "island" then kind of a sandy wooded area where some people will campout overnight. I was thinking of burying it in the sandy woody are in the middle of the sandbar. I don't think this would be found by mistake, somebody would either need to have the coords or have a metal detector, which highly doubt somebody would bring to this location.

quote:
Originally posted by The Weasel:

This would be more of a sandbar cache, and only get to it by boat. It's setup with a beach on the front of the "island" then kind of a sandy wooded area where some people will campout overnight. I was thinking of burying it in the sandy woody are in the middle of the sandbar. I don't think this would be found by mistake, somebody would either need to have the coords or have a metal detector, which highly doubt somebody would bring to this location.

Try this first.

Drop a penny in the middle of your backyard, and waypoint it. Go back the next day and try to get within 3-4inches of of the penny using your gps. You already know where the penny is, and I'll bet you have a hard time finding it. Biggest problem with caches buried is if you are lucky, you can only expect a GPS to get you within 20ft or so. You might get closer, or you might be farther. Either way, thats alot of sand to tear up looking for a cache. I don't know about your spot, but some beach areas around here are extremely fragile enviromentally, I wouldnt think of tearing up a 60ft circle looking for a cache.

Maybe if the area is otherwise ok, you could include some hint to make it easier to find, like "30ft on a bearing of 270m from the tree with the double trunk".

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Either way, thats alot of sand to tear up looking for a cache. I don't know about your spot, but some beach areas around here are extremely fragile enviromentally, I wouldnt think of tearing up a 60ft circle looking for a cache.

On the other hand, sand makes it easy to probe with a long skinny object and you don't have to "tear up a 60ft circle" to find it. We had one out in an offroad vehicle designated sand dunes. It lasted for about 2 years before someone stole it.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.