Have any of you done this type of cache?

Guest Quinnow

Guest Quinnow

I have just placed two sets of caches in my area using .50cal ammo cans. But I placed them with a twist, I'll explain...

What a did was went out and bought a few "master programmable combo locks" and some lock hinges. What I then did was mounted the hinge clasp on each of my ammo container caches so that I could lock them shut. I then went to an old cemetery and found a grave dating back to the late 1700's. On one of the markers I noticed a young girl had died at the age of 3 back in the early 1800's. Her marker was old and and showing great aging. After sitting there for a while and wondering how she might have died I figured I would bring her into the game (as I am sure she would have loved it)

I took some of the dates written on her stone and programmed my combo lock to reflect these numbers. I then placed and locked it on my cache container and then hid my cache about a mile away from the cemetary.

So now when I added this cache page to the Geocaching list it shows two parts. The first part is coordinates to the cemetery and gives clues and tips to finding this little girl, one found I ask that they take certain numbers from her marker but I only say they will need them for part 2 ( I do not explain why) so now when they go to part2 cache page they can hunt for the actual cache, but to get inside it they must use the numbers found at part 1. I don't want to post the links of the two I have done like this, but if you e-mail me I will send them to you. gqstone@rochester.rr.com

Great twist to a great game! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 17 May 2001).]

Guest cache_only

Quinnow:

That looks good. My wife and I would enjoy an offset-type cache like that. There are none in our area. All the caches near us are the standard type.

Rob

Guest 300mag

Cool idea Quinnow.It is something to remember for future caches. I have just stashed a new cache.It is a multi waypoint cache with clues.I just give the parking coords and a clue to the first waypoint coords.It is already logged once.From the log entry it seems very good. icon_smile.gif

Guest cleenjeep

Great idea quinnow! I was just planning a multi stage cache here in Mid Michigan. Cache Only, keep your eyes peeled as you know I am near you! My question is, how far is too far apart for a multi stage cache? I figure that each leg of the offset should be within one mile of eachother. That being said, it is difficult to get a park big enough, or private land that is okay to use close enough to another. It is something I am currently working out.

michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is Cleenjeep's Site

Guest Scout

quote:
Originally posted by cleenjeep:

My question is, how far is too far apart for a multi stage cache?

I was thinking of posting a two-stage cache where the distance between the two stages is measured in thousands of miles! I had an idea for posting an offset cache where the first stage would be a virtual cache at N 0 0.000 and W 0 0.000. The description would give the details on how to compute the offset. I liked the cachet value of owning the cache at the origin of latitude and longitude (pun intended). I didn't do it because I didn't know what country to register the cache location in!

Guest Alex

$64,000 question.

Is it;

a) N00 00.000, W000 00.000?

:D S00 00.000, E000 00.000?

c) either of the above?

d)both of the above?

e) none of the above?

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Quinnow:

I have just placed two sets of caches in my area using .50cal ammo cans. But I placed them with a twist, I'll explain...

What a did was went out and bought a few "master programmable combo locks" and some lock hinges. What I then did was mounted the hinge clasp on each of my ammo container caches so that I could lock them shut.

I really like that idea and might barrow it if it is OK with you Quinnow. :~) very inventive.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _________________ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/

"But a big booming voice from the sky is exactly what you have found..."

-Contact