Geocaching makes Ny Times

I was just reading the newspaper awhile ago and saw a geocacheing article so I immediately came to my pc to see if anyone made a post about it.-I noticed no one,why not be the first icon_biggrin.gif

Congratulations by the way Ct trampers and Connecticut A-team for makeing the paper!

Did you say you want to go on ANOTHER geocacheing trip?

Connecticut section of New York times.(I get it since I am in connecticut)

I got it on June 21st.(today)

Did you say you want to go on ANOTHER geocacheing trip?

quote:
Originally posted by Team Og Rof A Klaw:

Uh-oh, here come the yups...

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

_All who wander are not lost._

Not to worry. I don't think Biff and Muffy would leave their 535i alone for a walk in the dirty, yucky, buggy woods to find McToys when they could be lounging at the Club.

quote:
We all know about StayFloppy, the Ateam and Trampers, but the real Q is did they actually go out with 'em or did they just browse the site and cover like they do the rest of their articles? Wink

Well they did credit Stayfloopy with over 3,000 finds. Last I looked, the Floopmeister was about 1,500 caches short of 3,000.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

I can't speak for the other cachers in the article, but the Times reporter did accompany us on our cache hunt.

Kind of wish they had mentioned the Cache in Trash out aspect, (we emphasised this to the reporter on many occasions) but I think overall the article was good.

As far as StayFloopy's count being off, well, he is likely to hit 3000 by next month anyway. icon_wink.gif

The "history" of the web site always confuses the press. Mike Teague and I did not design the web site together, though Mike did have some input as to many features as it got started.

It's sad to know that out of the last 3 years and all the press, only on 3 occasions have I ever received a follow-up fact-checker to review a piece before printing. I understand that society is always in a rush but as a result the news suffers. To know that the NY Times (ignoring the current issues there) sets the bar and lacks in any follow-up is a bit disconcerting.

At least the Internet is around. It may be fraught with inconsistencies and errors, but the benefit (I hope) is that it makes newer generations more critical thinkers. Don't believe everything you read - or see on TV.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

It's sad to know that out of the last 3 years and all the press, only on 3 occasions have I ever received a follow-up fact-checker to review a piece before printing.

If the S.F. Chronicle reporter follows up with me on the article he is writing, I will suggest that he do so. icon_smile.gif

George, I don't mind you calling me a yuppie. icon_wink.gif Mostly because it's true. icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
I'm sure it's very interesting, but I have NO interest in ANYTHING the New York Times has to say.

Your loss, it is a well written article in a very good newspaper. I was disappointed to read Stayfloppy (sic) was credited with a few extra finds, and am not surprised to read JI's post on the inaccuracies of the website's history.

quote:
Uh-oh, here come the yups...

Prett ironic comment coming from Kingston, NJ next door to Princeton which just might be the yuppie capital of the free world. icon_rolleyes.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

If the S.F. Chronicle reporter follows up with me on the article he is writing, I will suggest that he do so. icon_smile.gif

He's already done some factchecking, so I am fairly confident the article will be done well. Glad to hear you're part of the piece, Marky icon_smile.gif

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

BreakTrack, (said w/tongue in cheek)... If U have no interest in anything the NY Times has to say why did u even read this post in the first place??? (being light... don't take offense)

Wherever you go, there you are!

Hey, no offense taken, but, if I didn't come in I couldn't have posted about my lack of interest.... so I compromised... I read the posts, but not the article.

I figure if I want to read fiction, I'll buy a novel. At least the authors of novels admit it's fiction up front. LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

It is interesting how news stories get distorted through human error, lack of follow-up, and intentional bending of the story to be told. It is this way with Written, Audio, and Video NEWS. If we are not witnesses to an event, we cannot see the errors in the story, like Kitty that shot the Fox dead, but it really was the Rabbit, that did the shooting.

I have cached since July '01, and been on the boards since then, I have seen lots of errors or omissions in several articles about Geocaching. Ive even seen errors in the news on Science and Technology stuff.

Least favorite thing in the news, is about POLY TICKS(Dont like(heart wrenching(Negative))).

What I like in the News is:

Astronomy, Gadgets, Science, and Technology.

I do follow up on these things by way of a Google search.

My favorite Media sources: TechTV and Science channels.

IMPORTANT:

EVEN THIS POSTING CAN BE SUBJECT TO ERRORS, since im human.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

Yeah, media inaccuracies were first demonstrated to me in high school. There was a scandal, a sit-in, etc. I knew the kid involved and the principal personally--not a SINGLE one of the media outlets got the story/facts straight. Amusingly enough, the newspapers and TV each had different versions, if you read them all you'd know they didn't agree but still be no closer to reality.

(It was a small enough town of 9,000 w/only two papers. I think only one TV channel showed...)

In terms of TV, it's all about speed--they can't afford to get too deep (it's scary actually). (As a video editor, and recently working w/a TV crew, I've seen lots of it...)

I wish papers were more caring, most writers and editors (written-type) are so fanatical about details, you'd think so, but no...

It's funny once you start to become more educated, to witness all the ignorances pervaded by the press. Ever check out straightdope.com?

Enjoy,

Randy

Postscript:

My worry is that real information will get lost, as innaccuracies get posted as "real" info on the Internet, Web, and then in the major media outlets, who now websurf for their corroboration, more and more ignorances are pervaded on the public and in schools!

Think of this, of the over 270,000,000 people in the U.S.A. alone, nevermind the billions in Asia, nearly all carry mostly innaccurate info and share it as fact. Real facts get lost and buried under the onslaught of pervasive innaccuracies.

I think our future looks bleak (speaking in terms of centuries, not decades)...

(Hehe, look at all the hooplah regarding the supposed "Millenia" back when we were approaching the year 2000... We've only been using this calendar since 1752! A thousand years won't have past until 2753 [note the '3', NOT '2']... Don't even get me started on all the "millenium bug" ignorance! Like your car's ECU cares what year it is...)

Sorry to gripe, especially OT, but this thread lead this way!

The article will certainly bring greater awareness and credibility to our favored hobby, regardless of factual inaccuracies.

Enjoy,

Randy