State Park or State Forest

Depends on the state, but often they are managed by different agencies, for different goals. Kind of similar to national parks, vs. national forests.

In NJ they are managed by the same agency (Division of Parks & Forestry), but there are some differnces in the regulations.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on January 30, 2003 at 05:53 PM.]

Our state parks are usually more developed than a state forest. For instance, official swimming spots are normally in state parks, with bath houses, etc. The state parks might also have official picnic areas, and at least some paved roads. Our state forests usually have trails and dirt roads, and not much else. Oh yeah, state forests are free and many state parks charge to get in, at least in season.

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Depends on the state, but often they are managed by different agencies, for different goals. Kind of similar to national parks, vs. national forests.

That's the way I understand it. At least here in Oregon. The State Forests are managed by the Oregon Department of Forestry and the State Parks are managed by the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department.

As far as different goals:

State Parks (quoted from their web site)

The mission of the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department: To provide and protect outstanding natural, scenic, cultural, historic and recreational sites for the enjoyment and education of present and future generations.

ODF (quoted from their web site)

To serve the people of Oregon through the protection, management, and promotion of a healthy forest environment, which will enhance Oregon’s livability and economy for today and tomorrow.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

In NJ we add Wildlife Management Areas (WMA's) to the mix. The land has been purchased thanks to the license fees paid by hunters and fishermen, but is open to all (but be real careful during hunting season).

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Skywalker:

The way I understand it, parks (state or national) are for preserving, and forests are for logging.

That may be the case in some states, but National Forests, at least, exist for a number of uses, including not only logging, but wildlife management, watershed protection, mineral extraction, and recreation.

Ron/yumitori

We (in NJ) don't log our state forests. I think the major difference here is that the state parks usually have facilities like visitor centers, bathrooms, beaches, campsites, parking lots and often charge admission. On the other hand our state forests have no facilities. I think another difference is that hunting is allowed in state forests, but not state parks, but I could be wrong on this one.