ticks

put vaseline all around the tick--smuther the little B------ and he will back out. Also Try giving your dog fresh garlic in his food, my vet claims it repeals the little buggers....

NOSEEUMS--High Protein Low Calorie unpacked trail snacks!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

Everything I've read sais don't burn em, smother em, paint them with fingernail polist and all that. You want them out, not dead with the head in is what the said.

Now I don't know about the Garlic but I do know if I eat enough it keeps away the human variety of pests. Keeps away the wife too though and I'm rather fond of her.

The books all keep coming back to pulling steadily with tweezers. Which isn't easy. Those dadgum things have quite the grip.

There are many versions of a tool that looks like a miniature cersion of a carpenter's nail puller (think "claw hammer"). Usually about 1.5-2" long, sometimes sold with a little magnifying glass. It's cheap and it's the simplest method for removing ticks (I've use it over 150 times!). Usually comes with instructions, so I won't go into that here.

see it here.

...clear as mud?

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

There are many versions of a tool that looks like a miniature cersion of a carpenter's nail puller (think "claw hammer"). Usually about 1.5-2" long, sometimes sold with a little magnifying glass. It's cheap and it's the simplest method for removing ticks (I've use it over 150 times!). Usually comes with instructions, so I won't go into that here.

There are a couple of different tools that I've seen for removing ticks. I've never had to use one before (knock on wood), but I have heard that they work pretty well, and are easier to use than tweezers. I'd imagine they could be used on a dog just as well as humans.

Smothering the tick with vaseline, painting it with fingernail polish, etc. is generally regarded as a bad way to remove a tick. It may get the tick out, but it also causes them to vomit their stomach contents into their host before they exit. When a tick is infected with Lyme Disease, the bacteria that causes the illness is often found in the tick's stomach, so having that vomited in your bloodstream isn't too good.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

quote:
Originally posted by bon&maxi:

anyone know the best way to get a tick off a dog?

I haven't had a dog for a few years but I always just jerked them out with my fingers & dropped them in a cup of gas. No harm to me or him but if it would make you feel a little better, wipe a little antiseptic on him.

I wish they'd had that new stuff (advantage/frontline?) back then.