Zeroing in on Cache?

Guest Nomad

Guest Nomad

Ok, so I imagine it's pretty easy to get in the general vicinity of the cache, but can anyone offer tips for zeroing in on a cache? I have never used a GPS before, so any tips or tricks you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Moun10Bike

When I get within about 0.1 mile of the cache, I like to check the GPS for the bearing to the cache location. (If you wait until you are too close, then the bearing will change too much as your position wanders about even slightly on the GPS, and you will then have more difficulty with the following steps.) Then, take out your compass and sight along that bearing. Keep in mind the landmarks that you see in that direction (trees, stumps, bushes, etc.), then proceed toward them until the GPS tells you that you are in range of the cache. This generally places you within a few feet of the cache, and prevents you from getting "tricked" into wandering away from the true location by fluctuations in your position reported by the GPS due to signal blockage and reflection, poor satellite geometry, etc. The final step for me is then to look around and try to figure out where I would hide the stash in that spot if I were the stasher. More often than not, this leads you right to it!

Guest Quinnow

Nomad....Bike is right on all counts. And I want to make it clear for you that this goes both ways, so when you are hiding a cache make sure that tree cover doesn't come in to the factor, otherwise when you try to get your readings to post on the site you may find that they are not as accurate and could throw people way off. Not saying you should hide it in the middle of a parking lot, but watch to make sure your readings are nice and clear. Also I think it would be a good idea that when your GPS says you are at ground zero and you still see nothing, be sure to mark that spot with a hat or something, then look in a circular patern of a safe 30-40 feet icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

Nomad....Bike is right on all counts. And I want to make it clear for you that this goes both ways, so when you are hiding a cache make sure that tree cover doesn't come in to the factor, otherwise when you try to get your readings to post on the site you may find that they are not as accurate and could throw people way off. Not saying you should hide it in the middle of a parking lot, but watch to make sure your readings are nice and clear. Also I think it would be a good idea that when your GPS says you are at ground zero and you still see nothing, be sure to mark that spot with a hat or something, then look in a circular patern of a safe 30-40 feet icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com