Cache book found...

lysa

I was recently cleaning my 12 year old son's room and came across a geocache book... this cache was started july 8, 2001.. by someone named Keith and Mike.. I have no idea where my son got this book... I plan on discussing this with him when he gets home from school, but in the mean time I thought I would post this and see if anyone on this forum knows Keith or mike...

Lysa icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

Sounds like she is a mom who found the book and knew enough to log onto the website written on the cover. Not a geocacher, just a good citizen.

Hmmm, good catch, Dru. I was led astray by the "Geocacher" title under her name.

Are you assuming she's mom from the "I was...cleaning my 12 year old son's room" comment?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

She found it while cleaning her son's room. Can you imagine what a better country this would be if every mother "cleaned" her son's or daughter's room from time to time?

If only that were true. It'd be even better if we had a sort of mother after leaving home. "Mother" might not fly with the youth, so maybe Brother. Some sort of, I dunno... "Big Brother". Yeah, that sounds good. icon_biggrin.gif

If I lived in the area of the mother and son, I would volunteer an afternoon to take them out to see what Geocaching is all about..........reward the young gentleman for being honest.

Kudos to the Mom for keeping her son honest, and kudos to the son for being honest. Most kids would have said they found it on the playground.

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

Hey people... we are missing an opportunity here. Kids will be kids. How many of you thought 15 minutes ahead when you were 12. Remember "Finders-Keepers, loosers-weepers"? Fact of life for the kid. I would say mom has her head on straight, and the boy will be properly punished. The way mom is handling this, I would have no problem trusting her to educate the boy in the most efficient manner. And that doesn't mean a whipping or being grounded. Mom will know best.

HOWEVER....

I would say this is an opportunity. If you can, meet with the families, and introduce them to Geocaching! The families that show up will probably have enough of a family structure that having some event to share will be welcome. The ones that do not show up, well, who knows. While the kids did do something wrong, they are kids. Teaching them and turning them into allies of Geocaching while they are young is better than causing them problems, punishing them, and turning them against geocaching, and causing them to blame geocaching for their troubles, and wanting to "Get even". Who knows, one of the kids could end up working for the forest service or something and remember Geocaching. At this point, how they remember it can be affected by how you act over this.

In fact, I would say the local cachers might consider taking up a collection to get a GPSr to let the kids borrow. What better way to get them away from the TV/nintendo? I will offer to donate a few $$$ if you go that route. Train them young.

Just my $0.02 worth, but worth the price I think. Don't you?

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

It's not like this guy broke into a car window and swiped someone's laptop... I think at age 12 it's finders keepers. Good that things are getting squared away, but I'd like to see that boy get a GPS of his own. Obviously he was honest - he coughed up a flashlight. I can imagine being 12, and finding this, and wondering how mysterious and exciting it must be to be involved in this game of hide and seek. I hope those close to him arrange for him to get a GPSr that he can share with his friends. I imagine it would be his greatest treasure. That guy would be out caching with me pronto if he was my neighbor.

If you hide it, they will come.

Grandmaster Cache

Tank at: FISH WHISPERER'S LAGOON

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

I would say this is an opportunity. If you can, meet with the families, and introduce them to Geocaching! The families that show up will probably have enough of a family structure that having some event to share will be welcome. The ones that do not show up, well, who knows. While the kids did do something wrong, they are kids. Teaching them and turning them into allies of Geocaching while they are young is better than causing them problems, punishing them, and turning them against geocaching, and causing them to blame geocaching for their troubles, and wanting to "Get even". Who knows, one of the kids could end up working for the forest service or something and remember Geocaching. At this point, how they remember it can be affected by how you act over this.

I disagree. This sport is growing faster than it can maintain, and by introducing more folks who weren't inclined to look into things on their own, we're loosing certain qualities in the cacher population...

LOL! The only reason I have the title *geocacher* is because I registered to be able to post, hoping to find the owner of the cache! actually I had no idea what geocaching was.. I think I remember something about it on the learning channel or something... I just found the notebook and did a little research on it... as far as punishing my son... I did not ground him or *punish* him in any way other than that I told him that he must return the notebook, the item he has from the cache and *donate* some of his own prized personal possessions to replace the ones that were taken. I figured if he had to give up something he cared for ... it would instill a sense of value on "other people's things" for him. IE) if it hurt him to lose something of his... perhaps it hurt the person who lost things because he just picked them up and came home with them. As far as getting into geocaching myself, I talked to my fiance about it...and we both decided that we will give it a shot next summer after we can afford to buy a decent GPS... and of course do a little research. IT sounds like a lot of fun and something we could do together as a family and LORD knows there isn't alot of stuff out there that promises to be entertaining for all ages !

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth, I was surprised to see the quick response ! I like to think that I just did what anyone would have done.... and the people that responded to the post were wonderful !

Take care and happy caching folks !

Lysa icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
I disagree. This sport is growing faster than it can maintain, and by introducing more folks who weren't inclined to look into things on their own, we're loosing certain qualities in the cacher population...

And I disagree with this. icon_wink.gif You expect a 12-year old to look into it? C'mon. His mom did, isn't that great? I think this is a great story, if you look for the positive instead of the negative (not you personally, M. Snazz, just "you" in general - unless of course you personally decide to fit the general icon_biggrin.gif ).

I think this thread exists precisely because this mom "looked into things on her own." And, it sounds like the cache is going to get some new blood pumped into it with some Pokemon cards, Hot Wheels, as well as some of the original contents. I couldn't think of better candidates for the hobby, no?

Besides, after reading so much of the spew and spattle (hey, I'm guilty too!) in these forums over such a friendly hobby, who are we to talk about "certain qualities" within our population. hehehe.. We could always use a little class - that mom's post is a breath of fresh air in this bathroom in which we are quite gassy lately. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, not trying to start a beef or add any more stink... just suggesting that perhaps we should try to look at things more positively - heck, I wish these people lived near me (as I stated above) because I'd definitely like to teach and enjoy geocaching with new folks as well as the old. We are hardly a "large" sport... Stop folks in your grocery store and ask 'em if they've ever heard of "geocaching." Heck, I only found one person at the REI in Sunnyvale that had even heard of it.

And, with all the grumblings of lousy caches, maybe we need to largen the pool. icon_wink.gif I think there's a great deal of people who could bring some awesome caches and great hides to the game - additional creativity is always a good thing. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I love showing new folks the sport, and every single one of them wants to "trade up" once explained. They get a kick out of it, and I try to impress some degree of "ownership" upon them by making it "better." It works. And they like it. These folks could absolutely use a person in their area to "bring them into the game," and I think "we" would only benefit from having more people take the "mentorship" approach.

How cool to be invited into a "treasure hunting" sport that you actually stumbled on by accident. I hope someone invites 'em to the game, and takes them under their wing.

Grandmaster Cache

I was writing my novel above when Lysa was posting. She exemplifies my point more clearly than I could have in all my redundancy.

Lysa, PLEASE try to pursue this, and yes, it is a great family sport. We really needed this in our lives - something that doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg. You can get creative with caches just by using some extra stuff around the house. And ammo cans are not really that expensive if you consider the fun you'll be getting from others who do the same. And it is cheaper than a trip to the mall, or many other forms of entertainment.

You don't need to spend a fortune on a GPSr. I am getting one for my kids to use and I did so by trading something I already had, figuring I wanted the GPSr more. Hopefully, you look into this more deeply - and I'm sure you will find someone who will absolutely take you out on a good cache hunt. Then, you'll most likely be hooked.

The main thing is, you obviously get the concept of the sport. We need people like you and your family. And I challenge you to discover the closeness it can bring to a family. I hope you stick around, and it would be so awesome to read your first logged find. Cheers!

Grandmaster Cache

Well, That really is the plan, I have been doing nothing but surfing this site and reading the forums.. since this whole thing started.. And once I get an itch, lord help the rest of my family lol... This sounds perfect.. I moan all the time that my son does nothing but sit on his behind in front of his Sony Play station II, but until now could think of NOTHING that would keep us all interested... when *drpepper* pasted my emails.. he left out certain parts... which was very nice ... he was trying to protect my privacy... but I am getting married this weekend... and then we have all that lovely INS stuff to go through to get myself and my son legally able to work and live here permanently, I am assuming that it will take until the summer.. but after that, DEFINATELY will be trying this out.. I think it sounds like a hoot !

Lysa

quote:
Originally posted by lysa:

Well, That really is the plan, I have been doing nothing but surfing this site and reading the forums.. since this whole thing started.. And once I get an itch, lord help the rest of my family lol... This sounds perfect.. I moan all the time that my son does nothing but sit on his behind in front of his Sony Play station II, but until now could think of NOTHING that would keep us all interested... when *drpepper* pasted my emails.. he left out certain parts... which was very nice ... he was trying to protect my privacy... but I am getting married this weekend... and then we have all that lovely INS stuff to go through to get myself and my son legally able to work and live here permanently, I am assuming that it will take until the summer.. but after that, DEFINATELY will be trying this out.. I think it sounds like a hoot !

Lysa

I think we can all attest to the fact that, once you've found your first cache, you'll be addicted. It's a great sport.

I also think you handled the affair with your son in a pretty responsible fashion, although I'd be inclined to think that the kids didn't even bother to read the cache information or the log book once they made their discovery.

A GPS receiver is a great investment for lots of family fun, but judging by the history of your situation, I think all you'd need is to take your son with you into the woods. He seems to have a knack for finding caches without electronic assistance. icon_biggrin.gif

I would also comment that, if you do become involved in Geocaching, yours would definitely be the strangest story as to how you discovered this site!

Hope you enjoy the sport as much as I do!

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg

I'm In kansas city, Missouri ... I've had a number of emails from people that have read this post... it's been great ! Everyone has been so nice... I have been online for about 7 years now and can honestly say, the people I have "typed" to in here seem to be the friendliest so far ! lol

Lysa icon_biggrin.gif

If you are near El Paso, contact me direct. I have a spare GPS I loan to people for weekends. Would LOVE to get you started. E-mail me direct if you like.

EDIT....

Oops... this thread is moving fast. I am not near Kansas City.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Ditto on the warm fuzzy feelings with this thread!!

I'm thrilled to see Lysa's enthusiasm spark. It's so difficult these days to find a family activity that everyone loves and doesn't cost alot of money. After the initial GPS investment, and of course gas money, you're ready for some free play time.

I have 3 boys that up until October had to be forced to go hiking with us. Since we discovered Geocaching, they pester us to go all the time. My 15 year old even likes it, and he's at that 'cool' stage in his life where anything that has to do with his parents is uncool. he he he!

You don't have to spend $250 on a fancy GPS.....You can find a $100 Magellan that will do nicely.

Hope to see you in the woods!!

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

Lysa said:

quote:
but I am getting married this weekend... and then we have all that lovely INS stuff to go through to get myself and my son legally able to work and live here permanently, I am assuming that it will take until the summer..

Congrats on your wedding. As you are quoted above...When you research it further, you will find geocaches hidden in many, many other countries too! How cool would it be to explain, or better yet, show your new found sport/hobby to relatives not living near you? Or at the very least, just think what a fantastic Travel Bug courier you would make. icon_smile.gif

As first suggested above by Canadazuuk and Desert Warrior, I vote that we all chip in and buy this family a GPS receiver as a wedding present. There have been nearly 900 views of this page, as of this message. If 100 people chip in a dollar each, there's your eTrex or Magellan 310.

I've got my dollar ready. Let's surprise 'em when they return! How to make this happen?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

.... I would say the local cachers might consider taking up a collection to get a GPSr to let the kids borrow...

I agree in so far as "borrow", not give.

Although I can be genererous, we all (nearly all?) had to earn the money to buy our GPSrs.

If I had an eTrex yellow, I would certainly loan it around to people who want to try the sport.

I think of someone is upgrading from a cheap yellow, I wouldn't mind getting it cheaply to loan around.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

Good story here, and I also think it would be good if we got this family a GPSr to get into this family sport.

I would think that we need someone in the area to cordinate getting and giving the gift and maybe help them get started. Maybe the owners of the lost/pilfered cache might be willing.

Let me know who is collecting the money and I will kick in $10 or the smaller assessment (based on number giving) from my swag fund.

"We should give as we would recieve, cheerfully, quickly and without hesitation; for there is no grace in a benefit that sticks to the fingers".

BY: SENECA

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Servic

Any mother with morals like Lysa's deserves a nice wedding gift. If someone in Lysa's area wants to purchase a GPSr for her, her son and her fiance, I would kick in $10. I would suggest an Etrex or a Geko, just to keep things simple for them to get started. Just let me know if someone goes through with this. RangerRick

Being the owner of the cache, I think that's a great idea and will contribute as well. Does anyone have any ideas how I should coordinate it? (Like a paypal acct or an address where people can send their wedding gift money to?) Maybe I can meet up with them when I go out to replace the cache and give the gift at that time. Great idea folks!!!

Keith

I suggest we email DRPEPPER and let him count the number willing to give, get a price and devide the

price by the number giving to get the needed donation. Put the max donation in your email I suppose, if you desire.

Any other suggestions?

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win,

and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

I am going to e-mail drpepper with my donation details. It makes SO much sense for drpepper to help with the gift! Thanks!

Hopefully, you could collect the money and share your mailing address privately with the people who contact you via e-mail. Unless someone has a fancy PayPal way of doing this (I don't like PayPal).

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.