When You've Exhausted Your Local Area for Geocaches...??

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

What to do, huh?

I'm fortunate that I live in the San Francisco Bay Area which is in the state which has the most caches of all--

But what do you do if you live in Iowa or Idaho which has maybe 3 caches in the state? Or if in your local area, you've found and exhausted all possibilities?

What do you do?

I'm also fortunate that my job takes me throughout northern California, from the Oregon border to Fresno in the south, so there are no shortages for me. I average perhaps 1-3 caches a week.

I'm planning a trip to the Philippines in late December for a few weeks with my family-- so you can bet there will be a few new caches placed. That country is a cache virgin, I'm led to believe.

Guest ClayJar

I actually almost had this problem several months ago. Turns out by the time I had finished a several weekend series of caches in adjacent and nearby states, there were plenty of new ones waiting.

I was (and still am someday) going to start hunting NGS markers, and I've finished the local confluences (I've got to submit the last one). Also, now that I know about all the great hiking places around the state, I could hike for months.

I also want to start making something like a personal "tourist waypoints" list. I'll get waypoints for the places where I would stop if I were visiting the area. There are lots of waypoint lists, and there are some "where you should go" lists, but there's nothing really good and complete for people who like hiking and have GPSr's

Guest Markwell

I now have only 2 caches in 25 miles that I have not found. Options to keep the interest and skill level high...

• Hide caches - the area could always use more. If you set yourself a deadline it could be more fun (e.g. "I can't hunt any more caches until I hide a dozen").
  • Geodashing. Not the same, but it is fun, none the less.
  • NGS Markers. Very poor substitute, but - hey - what are ya gonna do?
Just a short list. Others?

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

What to do, huh?

Doesn't seem that hard of a problem to solve. Just find a geocacher in the same predicament, and swap jobs and houses with them, and instantly a whole new set of caches to find.

Jeremy could set up a new feature on the web site where, once we exhaust an area, we could post our job/house as being available for swap, and keep this going for years!

Should suggestions like this one be better posted over on the Top 10 signs that you are truely hooked...?

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Juricich:

What to do, huh?

But what do you do if you live in Iowa or Idaho which has maybe 3 caches in the state? Or if in your local area, you've found and exhausted all possibilities?

What do you do?

Well, we live in Iowa. There are 35 caches in the state- and growing. We haven't found them all, but we do travel to Kansas City which has a large number of caches on both Missouri and Kansas sides.

We also worked with GeoForse on getting a newspaper article about Geocaching- that has helped get the number of caches up.

Richard and Tracy