4 x 4 required caches

Take it & Break it cache is a ORV (recommended, not required) cache. Mud tires help.

_ __ ____________________________________________________________ __ _

On my first day of school, my parents dropped me off at the wrong nursery -- there I was, surrounded by trees and shrubs.....

I would think that if a 4x4 was required to access a cache that the rating for terrain and difficulty would be higher - a 3 or 4 for terrain. The requirement of a 4x4 falls under "specialized equipment", I would think.

If you restrict your search to rated 3 caches and up you'll have better luck.

geotruck1.jpg

It's not whether or not you pick your nose that matters, but where you put the booger...

Nope. Look for 5's and 4's for terrain. Like was already said, a 4x4 is specialized equipment. Then again so is scuba gear, rock climbing, boats and airplans. It's not easy to tell without looking. But most remote caches in my area (Idaho) are rough terrain and 4x4 or at least high clearance in good weather caches. Maybe it's the same in your area. BTW. Remote is 2 miles out of town here. Nobody seems to like putting them on farms.

I hunted for a cache recently that was listed as a 5-star difficulty because of required 4x4. Well, I got the truck and headed out. The gate to the off-road trail was closed and locked, so my friend and I ended up bushwacking through 1/2 mile of swamp. Took us about an hour and a half to slog over rotted logs and tufts of weeds and when we finally got there, both of us had soaked our feet.

Does this mean that it's not really a 5-star since there is a shorter, "easier" way in?

Just yesterday we went for a ride to a nearby lake and followed a rutted trail that leads around the lake. After crawling through several deep puddles, we reached a spot where I dared not bring my truck without having another 4x4 to pull me out if I needed it. So we continued on foot. I thought the end of the trail would make for a great cache, and I'd recommend a 4x4 or ATV to retrieve the cache. Unfortunately, I'm only visiting this area and won't be up here again for a very long time to maintain the cache... also, I'm not sure who owns the land--whether it's county property or private property, so I'd hate to place a cache there.

Jamie

Well, first of all, most caches that say they require a 4X4 to get to, really don't... that is to say, you can walk to them if you really really really wanted to (not me, I'll take the 4X4, thank you very much).

Having said that, I just placed one recently called "Sargent 4X4" down near Sargent, TEXAS, but, you CAN walk the 8.3 miles to get to it if you really really really want to... LOL. Otherwise, please use a 4X4, honest. icon_biggrin.gif

"Aren't you guys ready for bed yet???"

Well, first of all, most caches that say they require a 4X4 to get to, really don't... that is to say, you can walk to them if you really really really wanted to (not me, I'll take the 4X4, thank you very much).

Having said that, I just placed one recently called "Sargent 4X4" down near Sargent, TEXAS, but, you CAN walk the 8.3 miles to get to it if you really really really want to... LOL. Otherwise, please use a 4X4, honest. icon_biggrin.gif

"Aren't you guys ready for bed yet???"

Unfortunately, the keyword search only searches the cache titles, not the body of the cache page. Hence, it the title doesn't contain "4x4" (or some varyation thereof, 4x4 required caches are tough to locate. The advice above is likely your best bet.

It never ceases to amaze me that some of the toughest stucks don't appear to "look" that bad in pics (case in point L & MM's pic above). Did you remember to lock your hubs? icon_wink.gif I see a winch bumper and what might be a winch on the front (hard to tell) - does it not work or were there no winch points close by?

I'm looking forward to some good 4x4 cache hunts when we move to AZ.

3265_1600.jpg

-

Unfortunately, the keyword search only searches the cache titles, not the body of the cache page. Hence, it the title doesn't contain "4x4" (or some varyation thereof, 4x4 required caches are tough to locate. The advice above is likely your best bet.

It never ceases to amaze me that some of the toughest stucks don't appear to "look" that bad in pics (case in point L & MM's pic above). Did you remember to lock your hubs? icon_wink.gif I see a winch bumper and what might be a winch on the front (hard to tell) - does it not work or were there no winch points close by?

I'm looking forward to some good 4x4 cache hunts when we move to AZ.

3265_1600.jpg

-

There was nothing to winch onto, which is something that always will happen even in the forest. The hubs were locked. The ground actually looked fairly dry until we broke through. It was very snotty below the surface.

At the time the picture was taken we were just getting lots of little branches and bark and shoving them below and behind the tires. We ground them into mulch and dug ourselves down as deep as the axles.

I am so grateful it wasn't a Chevy that happened by. I would have died of embarrasment.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
Originally posted by NoLuckAmongUs:

I know some are out there, but don't want to look through all 700+ caches in Texas to find them.

There WAS one at Tellico ORV in North Carolina. It is now gone. (long story) So why am I bringing it up here? icon_razz.gif Well, I heard that a certain geocacher (Blu-eyes) in Florida is interested in setting a new one up there to replace the original one, so maybe it'll be listed soon. I know she's not ready as of today.

Also, it is a huge huge place so there is definitely room for more than one cache. Anyone nearby wanna place one?

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 20, 2002 at 10:51 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by NoLuckAmongUs:

I know some are out there, but don't want to look through all 700+ caches in Texas to find them.

There WAS one at Tellico ORV in North Carolina. It is now gone. (long story) So why am I bringing it up here? icon_razz.gif Well, I heard that a certain geocacher (Blu-eyes) in Florida is interested in setting a new one up there to replace the original one, so maybe it'll be listed soon. I know she's not ready as of today.

Also, it is a huge huge place so there is definitely room for more than one cache. Anyone nearby wanna place one?

-----

froggy.gif You must be present to win.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on May 20, 2002 at 10:51 AM.]