Questions about this cache

Salvelinus

This cache was referenced to me by a new cacher who often ask me questions about geocaching.

Evidently this cache has been ransacked by animals and stolen. After reading the logs, I have two questions:

1. Why and how could someone accept credit for a find when they never really found it?

2. Why would you post your own cache as a find...twice?

I see the posting a find of your own cache as a newbie mistake. But, I personally would not log a find unless I really found it, or, at least the remanants of it. But, there may be some circumstances with this cache that make doing that alright. I really don't think it is ok to post a find like that, but I was wondering what the community thought.

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

I'm not sure about your first question, but in regards to the second, I'd say he was trying to post a note, but didn't click on the "make a note" radio button. The type of information that the owner gave in those two logs sounds like updates/maintenance reports, which are usually logged as notes. Whether the owner just forgot to make them notes, didn't know about that option, etc, that would be my guess as to what happened.

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.