"How To Stay Alive In The Woods"

CYBret

I recently dug through the garage and found my old, worn copy of the book, "How To Stay Alive In The Woods" by Bradford Angier. The subtitle says it's a "Complete guide to food, shelter, and self-preservation that makes starvation in the wilderness next to impossible!"

Have you read this book? It's been around since the 50's and my copy from somewhere in the early 90's says there's more than 600,000 million copies sold.

I find a lot of things in the book to be a matter of common sense and others make me realize I never would make it!

By the way, if you're interested, I found a few copies available on eBay including one that seems to have been released with the "Blair Witch Project." That would be cool to have! icon_smile.gif

I think I'll start keeping my copy in my pack...just for something to read when I get a chance to sit down.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

CYBret's Geocaching Page

I keep my copy in a small dry bag in my pack. Great campfire reading, makes me want to whittle some arrows. icon_wink.gif Seriously, though, even thought the book was written long ago, the information it contains is just as useful today. I've read many wilderness survival books, but if I had to only have one book with me, this one would be it. I do recommend the Peterson's field guide to edible wild plants as a supplement if you have the room in your pack.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

quote:

By the way, if you're interested, I found a few copies available on http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3560543991&category=2236 including one that seems to have been released with the "Blair Witch Project." That would be cool to have! icon_smile.gif

I had forgotten...in the Blair Witch, one of the film makers packs a copy of "How to Stay Alive" She must have forgotten to read the chapter on the dangers of dark supernatural forces and shakey photography.

Bret

CYBret's Geocaching Page

"Field Book for Boys and Men" from the boy scouts is about the best all around survival book I've seen. From Emergency shelters, edible plants, first aid, to setting and making snares and cooking without pots, pans or even utensils and even a reminder to "Do a good turn daily".

George, Eagle Scout class of 76

"Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!"

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

more than 600,000 million copies sold.

That's 100 copies for every man woman and child on the planet. Wow!

Good catch Jamie!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

more than 600,000 million copies sold.

That's 100 copies for every man woman and child on the planet. Wow!

Jamie

Ok, that's the last time I wake up so I can go post a note in the forums! bad_boy_a.gif

Bret

CYBret's Geocaching Page

I have a copy of this as well as other survival books in my collection.

This one and the good old Boy Scout Manual are must reads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I like the SAS survival manual myself. I love books that, after reading them make you look at life a little diferently. For instance now when I go out in the woods with buddies, I make a mental note about which one I'd feel the most comfortable making gloves out of their intestines.

Wonderful book, I still have my copy, minus the front and back cover and there is a suspicious black ink mark along the top edge of the book - I think I "borrowed" it from the High School Library when I was about 14 years old. If I remember correctly, I did a lot of stupid crap when I was 14. i'm not sure if the book ever helped me stay alive in the woods or not, but I sure enjoyed reading it. I did, however, catch my cousin in a "bear" trap I learned how to make out of that book. My cousin was 13 at the time and did even stupider stuff than I did, if you can imagine. One was not watching where he was going and almost getting a wooden spike through his leg. Isn't reading fun? :-)

If you can't find it, you ain't looking hard enough!

I have a whole library of wilderness survival books in my collection, but I must admit my altime favorite is an old copy of the 580 page, Air Force Regulation, Search and Rescue, SURVIVAL TRAINING dated 15 July 1985. This is printed in 8 1/2" X 11" format and is more than 1 1/2 inches thick.

One of my favorite photos has always been "Dressing a rabbit without a knife". This one rocks--

125725_1000.jpg

"I cache; therefore I am"