anybody else as ignorant as me?

I had just completed a rather lengthly response to a topic that already had a lot of responses. I submitted it and then went on to see what other topics had popped up while I had been writing.

Then I decided to go back and review my latest submission to see if it had formatted as I had intended. I scrolled to the bottom of the page and...

IT WASN'T THERE!

Panic and paranoia arrived simultaneously. Had I fat-fingered the "submit" button? Had my controversial reply been deemed inappropriate and deleted? Had all that work evaporated into cyberspace without hope of retrieval?

Then I saw it - right there towards the upper right corner of the screen, in very small print, just below the ratings stars, why hadn't I seen it before? - the word "page" with a 1 & 2 next to it. Slowly, I moved the cursor over the 2 and clicked.

TA DA! icon_smile.gif

There it was! The brilliant result of all my painstaking labor was there for all to read - relegated to page 2 where it would probably never be found. icon_frown.gif

After a little checking, I was able to ascertain that all replies through #49 are saved on the front page, but #50 and following get bumped to subsequent pages. I also found out that the reason I hadn't seen the page designator before was because it only shows up once it's needed. DUH! icon_redface.gif

So I was wondering - has anyone else been as ignorant as me? icon_confused.gif

Worldtraveler

WT,

Well... for the first few days of the new forums, just about every topic had multiple pages, so I learned about it then.

Soon afterward, something changed, and almost all the topics were covered in one page. I'd gotten the impression that the multi-page topics were unpopular and had been disabled. Some topics still showed up as multi-page; I just figured they were the last few remnants of the feature.

I guess what happened is that Jeremy changed the number of posts per page to 50 (or 49, as it is) and only a few topics ever make it to that limit.

I sort of dislike the multi-page topics, as my habit has been to click on a topic, read it, the click on the back button of my browser to take me back to the list of topics, then I select a new topic to read. With multi-page topics, this doesn't work so well, as I have to back out through several pages of posts to get back to the topic list.

As far as ignorance. I don't often look for "next page" icon when I'm done reading the last post of a topic, so it's likely I've missed some additional posts but not known about it, so yes... I may be as ignorant as you.

Jamie

Jamie Z,

If you scroll a little further down the page, after the last post, you'll see a drop-down box with the words "Hop-To" on the left of it. All you have to do is click on the "GO" button, and it will take you to the main page of the catagory your in, i.e. -General, or -Getting Started, or whatever.

Just trying to help.

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

WorldTraveler--

I saw your post in another topic about trying to figure out how many folks realize there is a second page of posts. I didn't want to reply in that thread because it was off-topic. Yes, I knew they were there. Got to see it back while Jeremy was still playing with the "beta" version, so I guess I wasn't surprised by it. I always look when I get to the end of a page to see if there are more.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Actually, while reading the forums today I've noticed what I do as soon as a thread loads is look to the upper right to see if there are multiple pages. If I know it's a thread I've already read into the second page I click straight to that page. Then I double-check the date/time of the first post on that page to make sure I didn't miss anything on the first page.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching