have address, get coordinates?

READ HERE - part of my personal FAQ.

Unfortunately, if you're not in the US, there's an extra step you need to do:

Once you get the map to display, zoom in to maximum, then choose "both" underneath the map (Move Icon, Move Map, Move Both), then click on the red plus marker. The coordinates should display then.

They will be in decimal format. Continue down my FAQ page to see how to convert.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

I don't know about a web site but MS streets and trips will give you the coordinates. tools>location sensor and move mouse over the address (that you found by typing the address in to S&T).

A little cumbersom but it's the way I use it when I go to a new place. I got this program from Costco for about $12 after rebate and it's much faster then the web and doesn't require the cd.

It is also in decimal deg. format - why is this (geocaching.com) the only place I have to use decimal minutes?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

why is this (geocaching.com) the only place I have to use decimal minutes?!?!

Default setting of most units. If it were not, we'd have to handle the swarm of questions about the coordinate format being wrong from all the newbies. Each FAQ would have a BIG BOLD instruction about changing the GPSr to Decimal Degrees, and we'd still get questions.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

Ok I didn't know that was the default setting - someone finally gave me an answer. I know my gps (garmin 3+) came with default of dec. deg. but maybe more come with default of dec. min.

Just that dec. deg. seems to be more prevalant on everything I have used - actually it's the only option on most.

-------> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave to a troll