Suggestions for good geocaching 4X4 vehicles for rough terrain?

We are new to geocaching and have been doing our hunting in the southern Nevada, Utah and Arizona areas thus far, which is really hilly and rocky. After beating our Expedition up a little too much in the brush, we have decided to look for a used 4X4 for this weekend hobby. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions about 4X4 trucks verses, ATVs, sand rails, etc. and have similar experience with terrain in this area? What has worked best for you folks out there? We have found ourselves frequently traveling narrow, rocky or soft "roads" with pretty steep inclines or declines, areas often heavily used by ATVs and motocross bikes so the ground is severely rutted. Since this will be a hobby toy, we don't want to spend a lot of money but don't want to break down out in the middle of nowhere either! Thoughts, anyone?

You didnt say what you want to spend but for what a new atv costs you can but a very clean used 4x4 truck. I have a 90 model ford bronco we use for hunting, canoing, fishing and geocaching. has power everthing, a/c tilt and cruise and the top comes off. I have about 3000.00 in it. Another advantage is you can drive it on and off the road so your not looking at trailers, tow bars ect.

JPACS

Have to say that our Cherokee has been a good one. Small enough for the trails and big enough for a family of 5. There are plenty of them around and the prices seem to be really good. 2001 was the last year for production so i picked up another new one to go along with my 94. Anyway, i have had good service with mine and its been in some pretty tough situations.

jeep_village_crk_sandbar.jpg

I've been driving off-road vehicles of one type or another since 1976. I love quads, would dearly love to own a sand-rail or a dune buggy (so would Steak) and Steak desperately wants a Jeep or another Baja.

I own a nice newer long wheelbase truck, and have never hesitated to take it out in the boonies to get scratched up, have the tires bruised by some radical rocks/stones, or head out on trails that, in some of the hairier spots have left me requiring the use of a spatula to get my a$$ out of the seat (can you say pucker factor?). It also comfortably carries my two cache-rats (kids) and rides sweet on the highway for those long cache excursions.

BUT it would be hard to tell you what you should get. Do you like caching in all seasons, all weather (need something enclosed, preferably with a heater)?

Do you want something that WILL go ANYWHERE (ATV's have limitations on terrain - just try to get one through two feet of snowpack, something my Ford will do)?

Do you want something that CAN go ANYWHERE (adding a trailer to your equasion (sp?) can completely change your financial requirements and if you need to traverse city/state/county roads you'll need a permit for ATV's, buggies, etc.)?

I think that a high(er) ground clearance Jeep or 'Zuki Suicide might be better all around. Cheap upkeep (for older models), you don't need to be a rocket scientist to fix stuff yourself on most of them, parts are cheap and readily accessible and they can be modified to do anything and go anywhere. They haul your gear, your grub and your GPS. Sounds like the ticket to me...

But I could be wrong... Hell, you can tell I haven't put much thought into it. icon_rolleyes.gif

As my brother always says: "Not bad for a girl!"

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

I've been driving off-road vehicles of one type or another since 1976. I love quads, would dearly love to own a sand-rail or a dune buggy (so would Steak) and Steak desperately wants a Jeep or another Baja.

I own a nice newer long wheelbase truck, and have never hesitated to take it out in the boonies to get scratched up, have the tires bruised by some radical rocks/stones, or head out on trails that, in some of the hairier spots have left me requiring the use of a spatula to get my a$$ out of the seat (can you say pucker factor?). It also comfortably carries my two cache-rats (kids) and rides sweet on the highway for those long cache excursions.

BUT it would be hard to tell you what you should get. Do you like caching in all seasons, all weather (need something enclosed, preferably with a heater)?

Do you want something that WILL go ANYWHERE (ATV's have limitations on terrain - just try to get one through two feet of snowpack, something my Ford will do)?

Do you want something that CAN go ANYWHERE (adding a trailer to your equasion (sp?) can completely change your financial requirements and if you need to traverse city/state/county roads you'll need a permit for ATV's, buggies, etc.)?

I think that a high(er) ground clearance Jeep or 'Zuki Suicide might be better all around. Cheap upkeep (for older models), you don't need to be a rocket scientist to fix stuff yourself on most of them, parts are cheap and readily accessible and they can be modified to do anything and go anywhere. They haul your gear, your grub and your GPS. Sounds like the ticket to me...

But I could be wrong... Hell, you can tell I haven't put much thought into it. icon_rolleyes.gif

As my brother always says: "Not bad for a girl!"

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Funny you should put a picture of a new Bug up there....

I had one on rental last week and well, lets just say Hertz isn't very happy with me right now. Apparently oil pans are a drag to replace on them.

The extra insurance was a good thing.

I am kinda partial to my Yamaha Grizzly. It gets me where I want to go. Then it gets me back home again. I can even go places that most 4X4 trucks can't.

I use it all the time in our adventures in Geocaching.

This is a picture that I took just about 10 days ago while out rider and caching with my daughter, Li'lRider.

23949_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by cache us if you can:

We are new to geocaching and have been doing our hunting in the southern Nevada, Utah and Arizona areas thus far, which is really hilly and rocky. After beating our Expedition up a little too much in the brush, we have decided to look for a used 4X4 for this weekend hobby. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions about 4X4 trucks verses, ATVs, sand rails, etc. and have similar experience with terrain in this area? What has worked best for you folks out there? We have found ourselves frequently traveling narrow, rocky or soft "roads" with pretty steep inclines or declines, areas often heavily used by ATVs and motocross bikes so the ground is severely rutted. Since this will be a hobby toy, we don't want to spend a lot of money but don't want to break down out in the middle of nowhere either! Thoughts, anyone?

You want a special vehicle for geocaching? You ARE serious! icon_wink.gif I've prowled the desert and mountains for many years and have learned a few things by trial & error, just as you will.

For starters, the kind of terrain you describe is rough on vehicles, as you've found with the Expedition. You may want something more compact to handle narrow, steep, rocky conditions. I'm partial to Jeeps but other brands will work too. Look for good clearance, short overhangs, protection for vulnerable parts underneath, low gearing for crawling and compression breaking, some sort of limited slip or locking differential, and good all-terrain truck tires (but not the mud type with huge lugs that dig holes in the sand). Many drivers are partial to manual transmissions but, as one old-timer pointed out to me, it's easier to hold your beverage and drive off-road with an automatic. icon_cool.gif

As for pickups vs. enclosed, that's a personal choice. I find pickup beds to be a poor place for gear, even with a cover, because of dust, rain and bouncing around. An enclosed cabin is cleaner, comfortable, and provides more options, including passengers. It's also hard to find a pickup with a short rear overhang.

For creature comforts, it depends on what you are willing to pay. A used $3k 4WD will be intensely uncomfortable: loud, dusty, hot, rough riding, broken-down seats, and oil leaks. If you're young, that's part of the adventure, but it gets old quickly. I like newer vehicles with good air conditioning, firm seats, a modern suspension that works reasonably well on the road, and a fuel-injected engine that handles altitude and steep inclines.

You live in a great area for off-road exploring. Find what suits your needs, have fun and drive responsibly. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cache us if you can:

You want a special vehicle for geocaching? You ARE serious! icon_wink.gif I've prowled the desert and mountains for many years and have learned a few things by trial & error, just as you will.

For starters, the kind of terrain you describe is rough on vehicles, as you've found with the Expedition. You may want something more compact to handle narrow, steep, rocky conditions. I'm partial to Jeeps but other brands will work too. Look for good clearance, short overhangs, protection for vulnerable parts underneath, low gearing for crawling and compression breaking, some sort of limited slip or locking differential, and good all-terrain truck tires (but not the mud type with huge lugs that dig holes in the sand). Many drivers are partial to manual transmissions but, as one old-timer pointed out to me, it's easier to hold your beverage and drive off-road with an automatic. icon_cool.gif

As for pickups vs. enclosed, that's a personal choice. I find pickup beds to be a poor place for gear, even with a cover, because of dust, rain and bouncing around. An enclosed cabin is cleaner, comfortable, and provides more options, including passengers. It's also hard to find a pickup with a short rear overhang.

For creature comforts, it depends on what you are willing to pay. A used $3k 4WD will be intensely uncomfortable: loud, dusty, hot, rough riding, broken-down seats, and oil leaks. If you're young, that's part of the adventure, but it gets old quickly. I like newer vehicles with good air conditioning, firm seats, a modern suspension that works reasonably well on the road, and a fuel-injected engine that handles altitude and steep inclines.

You live in a great area for off-road exploring. Find what suits your needs, have fun and drive responsibly. icon_biggrin.gif

Smaller than an Expedition is handy. I really like the Pathfinder. You can get 4 people + dog in it with no problems and it is a reasonable highway ride.

On the downside it could use another 40 HP and black is not a great off road color unless you don't mind a dirty-looking vehicle! icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

Smaller than an Expedition is handy. I really like the Pathfinder. You can get 4 people + dog in it with no problems and it is a reasonable highway ride.

On the downside it could use another 40 HP and black is not a great off road color unless you don't mind a dirty-looking vehicle! icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!