Is it Ok to double log?

Xitron

I'm curious, is it ok to log a find if you have already done it before? Does it make a difference if it is a 1 or a 5? The reason I'm asking is that I have recently seen some "found it" logs that stated that this was their second time finding the cache. Is it ok to log it if there is more then one person in the team and each one did it on a different day? What is the general opinion of double logging?

Those people are only cheating themselves. It's not like when you lose the remote...AGAIN, that it's really cool to find it...AGAIN.

One cache, one find. Unless reincarnated in the form of a new cache in an area where one was archived. If I visit a cache again for whatever reason (to drop of a TB, for example), I log the note to log it into the cache.

forumsig1.jpg

You are going to have a lot of responses to this thread that agree that you should only list one "found it" type log on an individual cache page. I agree that is the right thing to do for single stage regular caches. Multicaches are a little different in my opinion, but I am in the minority in that respect. To date, however, I have never logged more than one find per cache page (regardless of how many times I have visited it).

In addition, subsequent visits for the purpose of collecting prized trade items are frowned upon.

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

Ok let me ask a specific question. If two people share a account, one person does the cache alone one day and logs a find, does the other person get to go find the cache alone and log a find him/herself? I have seen multiple logs with the same name, but if it is a family doing it at different times I wouldn't have a problem with it. However if the same person does it again I think it should be placed as a note not a find. Multi's in my opinion are one cache one find.

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

Ok let me ask a specific question. If two people share a account, one person does the cache alone one day and logs a find, does the other person get to go find the cache alone and log a find him/herself?

If I find a cache by myself and log it, I don't log another find if I take the family back and let them find it. One find per cache per account. If I go back to a cache with the family and we have an experience worth sharing, I may post a NOTE the second time but not another find.

nm_button.gifTook sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

The other family member should create their own account. My wife has her own accout, but she rarely caches. Shoot, for that matter, the puppymonster has his own GC.com account. I have considered going back and letting him log his finds. He just doesn't type that well.

mtn-man... admin brick mason 19490_2600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sax Man's Wife:

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

Simple, drag her but out of bed at 4:00am and stuff her in the car.

If he drags me out of bed at 4:00 in the morning im coming after you!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That may be one of the funniest post I have seen!!! laugh4.gif

mtn-man... admin brick mason 19490_2600.gif

On the caches I go for without Puppy, I always re-visit the cache with him so he can find it himself, or I can show it to him. Or he just sneaks out there without me noticing then tells me so afterwards.

Since we only use one account to log, I just post a note on the page to say he was there, and what trades he made if he made any, along with any sort of story from the visit.

While it may not be about numbers, I'd rather not have 2 "finds" for the same cache. It just feels like 'cheating' to me, and I know there's always somebody that will point it out and complain.

A great serial killer once said, "Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me, I've looked..."

Infine ottengo il mio proprio cliente. Non ho sembrato giusto che non

poiché sono quello che trova solitamente tutti i nascondigli e

prenderebbe loro l'accreditamento per. esseri umani di f$@!ng.

(Finally I get my own account. I didn't seem fair that I didn't since I'M the one that usually finds all the caches and HE would take credit for them. f#$@!ng humans.)

quote:
I have never logged more than one find per cache page

There can be exceptions to the one cache, one find rule.

In a recent event cache, there were 10 temporary caches placed for the eventees. Since they were temporary, there was no cache page for the individual caches. Everyone who attended the event (and found the temporary caches) has logged multiple finds on the event page (as per the instructions of the event planner).

Originally posted by puppymonster

quote:
WOOF!

Good to hear you're well, puppymonster, and congratulations on your very first woof in the forums! Tell mtn-man I said "hi!"

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gifpuke.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by puppymonster:

WOOF! tongue.gif

Puppymonster, a simple WOOF! is all you would need to log a Cache.

I can see it now...A dog with more finds than me, simply because MTN-MAN is his master. icon_wink.gif Make sure to log you finds J.C.!!

Bob ~

Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?...Stephen Wright

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

In a recent event cache, there were 10 temporary caches placed for the eventees. Since they were temporary, there was no cache page for the individual caches. Everyone who attended the event (and found the temporary caches) has logged multiple finds on the event page (as per the instructions of the event planner).

I don't agree with this either. It's the same as logging multiple finds for a multi-cache just because it has more stages than a traditional cache. What is the benefit to this? You increase your numbers falsely? There is no prize for having more finds than others.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

nm_button.gif mystats.php?userid=team%20gpsaxophone&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000 bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella:

That's it. Bella getting her own account.

Sax Man's Wife: THWACK! (sound of her hitting Xitron in head with ammo box)

THWACK?

What ever that was, it wasn't an ammo box.

Every cacher knows the unmistakable CLANG of an ammo box.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

quote:
I don't agree with this either. It's the same as logging multiple finds for a multi-cache just because it has more stages than a traditional cache.

I don't agree with logging multiple finds for a multi cache either. That's one cache with stages, usually required to find inorder to find the actual cache.

In this case, each cache was unrelated to the others. It was 10 seperate caches. It was not necessary to find all 10, or any, for that matter. And there was no specific order in which to do them.

But because they were temporary caches, there were not seperate cache pages. Each cache was available for one day only.

Would it have made a difference if the same 10 caches had 10 different pages, and were all activated on the same day and then archived on the same day?

That seems silly to me. And would certainly be a lot of work for the approvers.

In another light, it was just like having 10 different event caches at the same general location, all sponsered by the same party and available to the same people in attendance.

Why shouldn't these be treated as seperate caches? All the rules for the caches were the same as any listed cache page.

Granted, there were not logbooks in the caches. But there was another way of logging them. To verify that you visited the cache, you had to retrieve a standardized item. And they did not build to one final cache or provide a prize for finders. They were simply 10 caches in different parts of the park.

This event was sponsered by the Indiana Geocaching Association. This practice is not uncommon in some other associations.

Originally posted by Bloencustoms:

Did any of the temporary caches pass approval by the site admins? If not, should the finds count on this site? (Not that I care about stats, just a question.)

The local approver was intimately involved in planning the event and the temporary caches.

And I don't care about stats either. I just like to log the caches I've found. (Since the temp caches were logged on the event page, they are manifested as event caches in the stats.)

Thanks for clarifying. It makes sense, but I have also heard people say that one event = one find. I have also heard that a new (not the old event page) event memorial cache placed on the site should not be logged as a find by people that attended said event. I don't necessarily agree with that. I have yet to log a memorial cache placed for an event I attended, but plan to. (It is, however about half a mile from the site of the event.)

[This message was edited by Bloencustoms on March 32, 1999 at 25:60 PM]

I have moved two caches a couple of hundred yards away from their original locations but have maintained the original logbooks. I would not mind, in fact would even persuade an additional 'find and log' as the hiding places are vastly different.

There are a few caches that I revisit but I usually just add a note saying that 'I dropped off a TB' or 'cache waterlogged' etc.

Just my addition to the barbecue. icon_smile.gif

Andy

An event cache should get one find. It doesn't matter if there are 10 temporary caches or none. If the temp. caches are to count as separate finds, they should be submitted to the site as regular caches and go through the normal approval process. They should be in place long afer the event, as temporary caches will not be approved. Since the admins will not approve temporary caches, they shouldn't count as finds at an event.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness

nm_button.gifmystats.php?userid=Team%20GPSaxophone&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

bandbass.gif

But the admins will approve a permanent cache, and the owner can archive it after 24 hours. The only difference is the lack of a cache page.

You say potato; I say potahto. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

quote:
Originally posted by J&MBella:

That's it. Bella getting her own account.

Sax Man's Wife: THWACK! (sound of her hitting Xitron in head with ammo box)

THWACK?

What ever that was, it wasn't an ammo box.

Every cacher knows the unmistakable CLANG of an ammo box.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Full ammo boxes go THWACK icon_wink.gif