What's the dumbist cache location you've seen?

dogastus

Locations vary and I'm not going to knock people for placing a cache. None of them that I've been to have been in a hole drilled in the fast lane of the interstate so I'm fairly happy.

Some have given me pause. One was 8' from a ledge and on a steep slope to boot. I retrieved that one while the rest of my group waited (they took their turn on a rock climb).

It's a bad write up that ticks me off. "1/1" buried in a rock pile in a public park. Too many people, too many rocks and too small a container. Had they said "bring your shovel you will be sifting" Id of been better prepaired for what the hunt really consisted of.

Now dangit BrinaSnat, I've been mulling that idea and wondering how to implement it without causing a row. So far I've failed on having any good ideas but there has to be way!

quote:
Now dangit BrinaSnat, I've been mulling that idea and wondering how to implement it without causing a row. So far I've failed on having any good ideas but there has to be way!

I guess you could use a dead tree or stump.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

You should check out the thread "Stop the Whoring of GeoCaching!" -- there's lots of cache-bashing there...

I don't know if I've ever done one that's "dumb" -- I think I appreciate the sport too much. Every cache I've done has been pretty unique, from Central Park's teeny, tiny "Imagine" to Rusty's epic "GeoCacher's GeoCache" and it's urban equivalent (or suburban) by Squealy, "Squealy's Valley Rally".

The thing that really burns my butt is ratings that don't make sense. If something is a 1 terrain that is supposed to mean it's paved, handicapped accessible, etc. Now if the person says it's paved most of the way, I'm fine with that, but when something says it's a one and there's all this bushwhacking or unpaved trails, I get a little angry. I had this issue when I took my mom caching... she was totally not pleased with the bushwhacking -- but it wasn't rated a one at least, but I think it was like 1.5.

I also hate when people don't mention that dogs aren't allowed. There aren't too many caches near where I live and most of my friends aren't in to caching, so I bring the dog -- and so it's frustrating when you get there and there's a sign that says "no dogs". Of course, this isn't the cache owners fault. I usually email the cache owner and say, "Can I bring the dog?" so that I know to leave her home -- better there than in the car.

Don't lots of people cache with their dogs?

Oh, the other one: caches placed by people when they don't live near the cache site. That drives me up a wall. My mom is on Long Island, but I won't plant a cache there (3-4 hours away) unless I can get someone to be the custodian of it. I hate having to replace caches for people who didn't just follow the rules and plant near their house or job or someplace they visit alot.

Wow, I'm cranky when I get up in the morning.

Let's not call it "dumb," just a newbie mistake. I wanted to be the FTF a cache in my area so I jumped on my trusty bicycle and rode the nearly 10 miles to the cache site. I thought something might be wrong as I cruised into the suburban neighborhood. The coordinates led me exactly to the front door of the newbie's house! (I confirmed this by telephone from a nearby pay phone.)

He apologized for the mistake and promised to check and repost the coordinates later that day (he was at work when I called him.)

So I rode home and monitered the cache for a few hours and when the new coordinates appeared, I headed out again...this time up a huge hill.

After 45 minutes of bushwacking through a rain forest on the edge of a cliff, (yes..in Indiana) I had to abandon the project for a lesser appreciated one called work.

I logged the cache as a no-find. A few days later the cache was archived!

As far as Im concerned, it should have been named: "What a waste of time."

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

I'd say it's a toss-up between two that I've found. The first was a moving micro placed behind a tree that was clearly used by many people as a human toilet. Needless to say, I step right into a fresh pile and splatter the nasty stuff all over my pants and shoes. Luckily, I had a change of clothes and shoes in the trunk.

The second was a cache place within 15 feet of a major freeway with cars zooming by at 80 mph. This cache was eventually archived due to its dangerous location.

--CoronaKid

Not dumb but annoying.

A cache placed in the middle of a round about. Onlyl way to get to it was by dodging traffic. Then as you searched for the cache you had to contend with courious motorists who couldn't understand what the nut with the funny looking device was doing in the middle of the round about.

the cache has since been archived for obvious reasons.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Mine is more of a most useless cache. It was a virtual where you went to a flag pole and e-mailed back who donated it. Would have been cool if there was a veiw or a hike, but it was just a flag pole about 50' from the parking lot in a school yard. Words can't describe how ordinary the area is.

quote:
Mine is more of a most useless cache. It was a virtual where you went to a flag pole and e-mailed back who donated it. Would have been cool if there was a veiw or a hike, but it was just a flag pole about 50' from the parking lot in a school yard. Words can't describe how ordinary the area is.

And people wonder why they cracked down on virtuals...

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

One we did in Louisiana. It had been a regular cache. The owner moved across the country and the cache went missing. So the owner just made it a virtual since he lived so far away and was unable to replace the cache. The "virtual" turned out to be just a grove of trees where the owner played as a kid, nothing else there. Pretty lame.

A little while back there was a newbie that put his first cache on his patio of his appartment. I mean you had to go through the gate into his 5 X 5 patio to sign the logbook. He knew it was kinda corny but placed it anyway. He went on to placing decent caches afterwards though... Just a newbie mistake.

64784_1200.gifBeen there... Done that...

Rookie Mistake storie: I remember this one was a cache placed out in a wilderness preserve that contained nothing but dog biscuits/treats/etc.(the cache was for cachers with dogs and the idea was to trade dog treats for dog treats).

The cache was was archived with no finds and I can't imagine what every could have happened to a container of animal food in a woods filled with hungry animals....

I think the prize for the dumbest idea for a cache has to go to the "use before date" expired medicine exchange suggested many moons ago by the troll BobLog in this thread. I have just had a really good chuckle re-reading that thread - in particular the outrage of some of the persons who took it seriously.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

I think the prize for the dumbest idea for a cache has to go to the "use before date" expired medicine exchange suggested many moons ago by the troll BobLog in http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=3186005051&p=1 thread.

That one had me ROTFL!! Of course its illegal for anyone other than a licenced doctor to prescribe medications, whether its bought in a pharmacy or given away!!! You are right, what a Troll!!

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

quote:
I think the prize for the dumbest idea for a cache has to go to the "use before date" expired medicine exchange suggested many moons ago by the troll BobLog in this thread. I have just had a really good chuckle re-reading that thread - in particular the outrage of some of the persons who took it seriously.

A classic!

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

I think the best comments were from vash the stampede:

quote:
holy mother of crap.

at first it was funny, then amusing, now its irritating. how in Gods green earth could anyone make so many gramatical and spelling errors in one sentance?? and how could they make the same errors every single time. obviously we are dealing with someone who has half of a first grade english level. i could eat alphabits and crap out more coherent thoughts than this.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif