Great extreme geocaching spot - can it be described safely without giving away the suprise??

Zentreri

(this is a sock puppet account sorry, I don't want to give the cache details away too much with my userid).

I came across a great spot the other day that I had been eyeballing for a long time. I want to place a cache there but the area has a few cool features that may freak some individuals out. People who have a fear of heights, a fear of water, and fear of semi-small places. It does not require any special equiptment or level of fitness outside of what your typical adult geocacher is capable of.

But my questions are:

1. How to convey to the cacher what is in store for them for safety reasons without ruining the surprise(I don't want someone to show up with a baby stroller or freak out anyone who is afraid of water or heights).

2. If you put a pile of disclaimers in the cache description might the cache run a risk of not being accepted by the geocaching.com staff? It is perfectly safe but my own paranoia about offending someone else's sense of what is "unsafe" might make it appear dangerous when in fact it is not.

3. Perhaps just jacking the difficulty up to 4 or 5 and say "leave the kids and dog at home, people with a fear of heights may want to avoid this cache" will do the trick.

Sorry about the vagueness, I just don't want to give anything away.

Comments?

I've seen some caches with very few words in the description. I think I might take that angle. Make it an appropriate difficulty and make some vague statement on the cache page that this one isn't for the weak at heart, leave the kiddies at home, and be prepared for anything.

If I saw something like that, I'd start making plans to go out there to find it.

Personally, I don't think you have to mention anything specific if you don't want, but be sure to point out that there will be some surprises.

Jamie

[This message was edited by Jamie Z on October 16, 2002 at 07:17 PM.]

I think the admin staff have a context for what you're presenting. As long as you say something like, "No more dangerous than your average cache, but those stressed by heights, water, or tight enclosures may feel uncomfortable," then I think you've given sufficient warning to seekers.

Finder logs will help quantify the degree of possible discomfort. If you're uncertain you might have a buddy beta-test it for you and offer an opinion.

Let me add this: people who do have phobias are keyed in to anticipate (and thereby avoid) situations that tax their abilities to cope. You don't have to watch out for them because they are plenty busy watching out for themselves.

That being said, I still think it is a courtesy to warn anyone about something uniquely [and potentially] freaky. Even if you try to keep it a secret in your description, dramatic features are apt to be mentioned in the logs.

I already kinda beta'ed it and the response was very positive, in fact now we're two cachers going in on it they suggested to go even further, so I guess I will put it up with just the token info they need, a warning about high places, tight spaces and water, and see how it goes. I'll post the link here when she's done.

The funny part was that when we found a good spot to stash a cache there was some simple grafetti nearby. We're thinking of naming the cache after the grafetti and providing a picture of it as the only hint.

quote:
Originally posted by Zentreri:

The funny part was that when we found a good spot to stash a cache there was some simple grafetti nearby. We're thinking of naming the cache after the grafetti and providing a picture of it as the only hint.

I'd recommend caution about associating a geocache with graffiti (even graffiti that already existed, and that you had nothing to do with creating). I'm afraid it could somehow end up backfiring and causing bad press for geocaching.

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:

(this is a sock puppet account sorry, I don't want to give the cache details away too much with my userid).

I came across a great spot the other day that I had been eyeballing for a long time. I want to place a cache there but the area has a few cool features that may freak some individuals out. People who have a fear of heights, a fear of water, and fear of semi-small places. It does not require any special equiptment or level of fitness outside of what your typical adult geocacher is capable of.

But my questions are:

1. How to convey to the cacher what is in store for them for safety reasons without ruining the surprise

That's what the stars are for. If I see a high terrain rating I know what to expect.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I'd recommend caution about associating a geocache with graffiti (even graffiti that already existed, and that you had nothing to do with creating). I'm afraid it could somehow end up backfiring and causing bad press for geocaching.

I've already thought about that one. I detest any kind of purposeful defacement of an area for the sake of geocaching, or gang markings but this is a little different. For example, I like artistic graffiti in certain urban jungle wastelands where in some cases it is even sanctioned. Sometimes you have that one human out there who made their mark as if to say "I was here". Same kind of stuff you get in the John sometimes.

That is the kind of grafitti at this site. I have already thought out the proper disclaimer as to the fact that I didn't put it there, it was there when I got there, I don't know who he is, or even if he was "there". It's just going to be a photo clue and also the name of the cache.

Excellent warning though, to be sure!

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

That's what the stars are for. If I see a high terrain rating I know what to expect.

george

Yeah, I'll definitly do that. But what about when you get there and discover that you have to walk through fire or something to get to the cache. I think a litle warning is in order I'll have to add a little something. It was great to see those links in the thread above spelling things out, and they were still approved. Hats off to the cache screeners for not being lawerly or PC.

Cheers!

I also was very descriptive in my first caches when it came to describing safety. As I've done more caches, I realized that the terrain and difficulty ratings say most of it. When things are expected to get rough, most cache owners here will say that it is not a good one for children or those out of shape or such. Generally, we're all able to recognize danger and fend for ourselves.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

george

Yeah, I'll definitly do that. But what about when you get there and discover that you have to walk through fire or something to get to the cache. I think a litle warning is in order I'll have to add a little something. It was great to see those links in the thread above spelling things out, and they were still approved. Hats off to the cache screeners for not being lawerly or PC.

Cheers!

A big part of caching is adventure, discovery and preparedness. If I go out for a high terrain level cache I come prepared. Level 5 means special gear (ropes, boat, etc etc) so a 4.5 would mean something extreme but no special equipment is needed.

Discovering that terrain as I go is part of the adventure.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.