Geo Fantasy Football league is up!

For anyone who wants to play fantasy football with geocachers, a public league entitled Geocachers has been created on ESPN. Live draft on August 26 at 6pm Pacific time. So far we have around 6 or 7 people who intend to play, so we need a few more!

Once you have bought a team, sign into ESPN. Once signed in, this link should take you to the league page.

You can also just do a league search for Geocachers.

pokeanim3.gif

I always do the pay games to avoid dead teams. Plus I love ESPN's draft mechanism. I've had some bad Yahoo experiences and a downright awful experience on Sandbox.

Anyway, I guess that adds another option for people. Regardless, the ESPN league that we have been discussing for some time has been formed and some have already bought teams.

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on July 23, 2003 at 11:13 AM.]

carleenp - will you be a go even if you get under 10 teams or some other level? Also, is there an IMA (in my absence) mechanism for the draft? We've had to give our top-lists to a semi-trusted associate when doing a live draft in person and I was wondering if there is something available for a computer generated version.

I set it up as a public league so that it would be more likely to fill. At last count, I thought we had 6-7 who planned to join. If for some reason we got less than 10, the league could always get changed to an 8 teamer (I would prefer to avoid that though). I also could probably recruit a few non-caching football people to join if it becomes necessary.

ESPN has an auto-draft feature, where you pre-set your list and the computer will draft you if you miss the draft or your computer somehow fails during the draft. Of course, it is preferable (and more fun) to draft in person though!

This is the other thread about the ESPN league and there are some links to the ESPN rules etc. there.

pokeanim3.gif

I think it's $29.99 for new players, $24.99 if you currently have a fantasy team going (i.e. baseball) and $17.99 if you already have another football team.

I wonder if you should just password-protect the league now and post the password here. Nobody would see it here except for geocachers who have paid their entry fee, so you shouldn't get any trolls. That way we can keep random people from joining.

Looks like the league is halfway there anyway! With your permission, I could post a note in the wi-geocaching.com forums as well to try and attract some more who don't read these forums.

- - - - -

You'd have to be an idiot to click here!

quote:
I wonder if you should just password-protect the league now and post the password here.

We can't without everyone quitting the league and forming a new one. That is why I had to agonize over whether to make it public or private or not. Anyway, the 6 entered now are all people from the previous discussion who said they would enter. There is one more possible/likely person from that discussion. Based on the responses to the prior thread, I was concerned that we would have trouble getting the last three.

So, we need three more. I'm hoping that by it being public, that some ESPN people who cache might see it and join. And YES do post on the wi-geocaching forums about it!

And off topic: I am so tempted to click your signature link, but I just won't do it (not an idiot)! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

The avatar is the character Death from Sandman comics. This particular picture is of a statuette made to promote a Death manga done by Jill Thompson (one of my favorite artists).

I did once try out the goth look, but that was 6 years ago and partially by accident. I died my hair black for my 30th B-day and wore a Death shirt to classes. Then I found that the *temporary* dye would not wash out! So, I had black hair for awhile and adopted a look of wearing black clothes to go with it until I had to start my professional job 4 months later.

pokeanim3.gif

off topic - CarleenP on her Avatar

> I did once try out the goth look, but thatwas > 6 years ago and partially by accident. I died > my hair black for my 30th B-day and wore a

> Death shirt to classes.

Somehow, I think I missed that episode icon_confused.gif

NevaLP, AKA Carleen's mom (who clicked on the idiot link - icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Somehow, I think I missed that episode

How can you not remember that I graduated from Law School with black hair!?!?!?! icon_confused.gif You commented on it several times during that period (you weren't fond of it). You might not have seen the black clothes that much though, I hid that!!!

Edit: Look at the pic you took at Terrace Grille after graduation w/ me and Mike and Pete. What color is my hair? OK, see you soon in CO for some serious caching! We WILL find that hard cache! Should be fun! icon_biggrin.gif

pokeanim3.gif

[This message was edited by carleenp on July 24, 2003 at 06:48 PM.]

[This message was edited by carleenp on July 24, 2003 at 06:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by carleenp on July 24, 2003 at 06:58 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by StormShadow:

name: GCFFL (ID# 167672)

password: "cache"

That's the name of the free league I just created in Yahoo. We'll take up to 11 more teams.

Signed up for the free league. Thanks for setting it up.

When in doubt...hit it with a big hammer.

Hey Chris and Cindy! Consider the ESPN league too! Yeah, it costs money, but that avoids dead teams and if you win you get a T-shirt. If you win on the leaderboard nation wide, you get more. I got a 36" TV and 5 disk DVD from them once in a football playoff game and got a prize for 6th on the leaderboard in regular FFL in another year! Of course, I do buy 10+ teams each year. What can I say? I'm an FFL addict!

Carleen, who is cpruess on the ESPN football boards.

OK lets fill up the geocachers ESPN league!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

That's the name of the free league I just created in Yahoo. We'll take up to 11 more teams.

What's the format? H2H or roto?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

quote:

What's the format? H2H or roto?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

HTH

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Hey Chris and Cindy! Consider the ESPN league too! Yeah, it costs money, but that avoids dead teams and if you win you get a T-shirt. If you win on the leaderboard nation wide, you get more. I got a 36" TV and 5 disk DVD from them once in a football playoff game and got a prize for 6th on the leaderboard in regular FFL in another year! Of course, I do buy 10+ teams each year. What can I say? I'm an FFL addict!

Carleen, who is cpruess on the ESPN football boards.

OK lets fill up the geocachers ESPN league!

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

Signing up for the free one is easy. Signing up for a pay one requires a ChrisANDCindy vote. Working on that.

quote:
Signing up for the free one is easy. Signing up for a pay one requires a ChrisANDCindy vote. Working on that.

Ahh! I see! Well keep working on it! For what it is worth, my boyfriend (and likely my parents too... do I hear Nevalp chiming in soon?) thinks it is crazy, but hey!I still do it! icon_biggrin.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Maybe I will tell her we could win an ammo box, then she will be all for it

Hey! If you, and anyone else who joins or who have joined, wins: I'll donate an ammo box to the winner and ship it for free as an extra prize! Seriously! Hey! I'll even stock it up w/ trade items! Not sure what to do if I win it... I guess I'll just place another cache! icon_biggrin.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

For anyone who wants to play fantasy football with geocachers, a public league entitled Geocachers has been created on ESPN. Live draft on August 26 at 6pm Pacific time. So far we have around 6 or 7 people who intend to play, so we need a few more!

Once you have bought a team, sign into ESPN. Once signed in, http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/ffl/request.dll?GROUPPAGE&GroupIDTo=6691 should take you to the league page.

dadgum! To bad carleenp. I can't make it, I have to work. Would have loved to join but I hate auto-draft. I like to take a flyer once in a while! icon_frown.gif

Whoa, hold on a sec.... 6PM Pacific??? What is that in eastern? I think it's a 4 hour delay!I get off at 10pm eastern If you could get everybody to wait about 45 minutes for the drive home...maybe I can play after all! icon_cool.gif Check it out and let me know! icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Spzzmoose on July 25, 2003 at 01:49 AM.]

quote:
dadgum! To bad carleenp. I can't make it, I have to work. Would have loved to join but I hate auto-draft. I like to take a flyer once in a while!

We would have loved to have you! Unfortunately, everyone else wanted a weeknight! icon_frown.gif I understand the auto draft thing... It tends to end up in wierd teams! I don't know when the free league that was posted about on this thread is, but maybe that would work for you? Plus, there is always next year! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

Glad to see we have some football fans here. Plenty of spots left in the Yahoo league. BTW, what are your favorite teams? Steelers fan myself and I admit....I still thought Kordell could do it for us.

Holy Mother of God!! Is Batch still on that team?

quote:

Stewart is nothing to rely on and will be nothing in Chi-town fantasy wise. Batch is backup to Maddox, where he should be, but don't pin your hopes on Maddox either. Yet, Maddox was a nice pick up for some fantasy owners last year and could be worth a late pick again. As for Batch's ability (fantasy or otherwise), I think Spzzmoose nailed it! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

quote:

Once you have bought a team, sign into ESPN. Once signed in, http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/ffl/request.dll?GROUPPAGE&GroupIDTo=6691 should take you to the league page.

dadgum! To bad carleenp. I can't make it, I have to work. Would have loved to join but I hate auto-draft. I like to take a flyer once in a while! icon_frown.gif

Whoa, hold on a sec.... 6PM Pacific??? What is that in eastern? I think it's a 4 hour delay!I get off at 10pm eastern If you could get everybody to wait about 45 minutes for the drive home...maybe I can play after all! icon_cool.gif Check it out and let me know! icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Spzzmoose on July 25, 2003 at 01:49 AM.]

Oops..double post!

quote:

quote:

Stewart is nothing to rely on and will be nothing in Chi-town fantasy wise. Batch is backup to Maddox, where he should be, but don't pin your hopes on Maddox either. Yet, Maddox was a nice pick up for some fantasy owners last year and could be worth a late pick again. As for Batch's ability (fantasy or otherwise), I think Spzzmoose nailed it! icon_smile.gif

I had McNabb as my starting qb with Vick (got in the 13th rd.!!! icon_biggrin.gif) as my backup. I grabbed Maddox of the waiver wire! Tommy did quite well for me for a couple of games! Thank GOD for Michael V. He won the superbowl for me! icon_cool.gif

I may have a little trouble with the 6pm time since that translates to 3pm on the right coast. My computer at work is very picky when it comes to internet applications. I suspect the html version might run OK, but I would hate to find out the hard way. I may just have to auto draft a round or two and try to beat the DC traffic home.

Any way to test it in advance?

Also is trading of draft picks allowed?

Success is not measured by the position one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.

- Booker T. Washington

quote:
Originally posted by bigcall:

Any way to test it in advance?

Find the page where it describes how the draft works there's a link to a system requirements page where you can also demo a draft to see if it works on your computer. I found it won't work through the firewall here at work, so I'm going to have to hightail it home by 4 central.

- - - - -

You'd have to be an idiot to click here!

quote:
I may have a little trouble with the 6pm time since that translates to 3pm on the right coast.

You have it backwards (and you too Dave). It is 6pm Pacific, 7pm Mountain, 8pm Central and 9pm Eastern.

You can log into the draft room 1/2 hour before the start time. Also, I found last year that the java applet was slow to load. It would look like it wasn't loading anymore when it was. So you might have to sit for a minute or two while it loads up.

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
This has probably been ask and answered before but here goes ... Can I invite someone to join that is not a geocacher (yet)?

Considering that I'm worried about filling it, it is OK with me. We can all work to convert the person into a cacher!

I'm leaving town later and will be gone for a week, so you guys keep bugging other cachers to join while I'm gone! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:

quote:
I had McNabb as my starting qb with Vick (got in the 13th rd.!!! icon_biggrin.gif) as my backup.

I don't believe you'll be able go that long w/o picking up Vick in either of the leagues discussed above. icon_smile.gif

No kidding! icon_rolleyes.gif Vick will become one of the top 5 QB's selected this year. I just couldn't believe he fell so low...I guess my fellow owners had too many suds in them!

quote:

Glad to see we have some football fans here. Plenty of spots left in the Yahoo league. BTW, what are your favorite teams? Steelers fan myself and I admit....I still thought Kordell could do it for us.

Mine has been now for over 30 years, the Miami Dolphins. I live and breathe the Phish. Don't ask how a Southern California native went figured on becoming an east coast AFC team rooting fanatic, but I did. Georgia killed my interest in the Rams when she drove them into the ground before leaving the town high and dry for greener astroturf in St. Louis. Fine with me, as we get better games on TV now that LA doesn't have a team to get blacked out each and every week.

Webfoot frog.gif

quote:

Yet, Maddox was a nice pick up for some fantasy owners last year and could be worth a late pick again.

I can attest to that last year. I rode Maddox hard until he got himself hurt and then I was lucky enough to pick up Chad Pennington for the stretch run. Didn't help me much in the playoffs, but it was a good run.

Webfoot frog.gif

quote:

don't believe you'll be able go that long w/o picking up Vick in either of the leagues discussed above. icon_smile.gif

I'm in another keeper league. My team was pathetic last year and I ended up in last - I just want it to go on the record that there are people out here willing to admit their teams sucked and they came in last place in their league.

The upside to this however is after my first two "keeper" picks - Aaron Brooks and Ahman Green, I'll get the first pick in the draft and Vick is available. I'm trying to "sell to the highest bidder" so to speak, but haven't had many offers yet. Could be interesting. Might keep Vick and then deal Brooks later on, who knows?

Webfoot frog.gif

[/quote

Come on Geocahers!!! This the best league to join, sure it cost a few bucks, but IMHO the more you pay for a league the better the competition. I've been playing fantasy football for over 10 years (yeah, before you could do it on-line) and without a doubt the best leagues are the ones you have to pay for. In the pay leagues, the team owners are much more competetive than the "free leagues". And this league is only $30 bucks! You can spend $30 just to park at a NY Giants game and only see one game to boot. So suck it up and join. We have (4) owner slots available.

quote:
Originally posted by clearpath:

So suck it up and join. We have (4) owner slots available.

You can spend $30 just to park at a NY Giants game and only see one game to boot.

Now there's only two open spots, so what are you waiting for?

You could spen $30 on tolls and gas just to get to Soldier Field to see Da Bear$ (and why would you want to do that?) Your $$$ would be much better spent here!

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

Now there's only _two_ open spots, so what are you waiting for?

We are looking for (2) more experienced fantasy football team owners. The cost is only $30, the experience level and season long participation will be far above that of the so called "free leagues".

Quote from carleenp:

Once you have bought a team, sign into ESPN. Once signed in, this link should take you to the league page.

You can also just do a league search for Geocachers