Cache owner deleted my uploaded images

rooboy

I visited a couple of caches yesterday and uploaded some images today. The images cane be categorized as: trail photos, cache vicinity, cache container, cache location.

Well, 30 minutes ago I get an email from the cache owner (the same person owned all 4 caches I visited) saying that he had deleted most of my photos--only 9 of 29 remain icon_frown.gif .

My questions are:

1. Can this person do this?

2. Has anyone had this happen to themselves?

3. What, if any, recourse do I have?

I am disappointed that my photos were deleted, because I believe that photos and comments allow me to communicate my geocaching expereince. A secondary result, is that I may help others enjoy the geocaching experience (I have geocaching friends in Australia and German that monitor my finds, and photos are a good way of getting an idea of the location).

Ciao

RooBoy

rooboy0000@yahoo.com

Yes. Fortunately for the cache owner they have the ability to police their own cache and remove logs and images. Unfortunately for the cache logger it seems like sometimes your rights are violated.

Since a lot of the caching experience involves a sense of adventure in finding the cache, sometimes the cache owner would prefer it if the seekers didn't have any more info than what they gave out. As a result I wouldn't be surprised if a photo of the cache in its natural environment would be acceptable for some cache hiders.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Every log reveals just a bit more about the cache than the hider had originally posted. Since 'a picture is worth a thousand words', your pictures probably gave away too much info on the cache. The next finder would not have nearly the same experience as you, since you already gave the cache secrets away. If you want to spoil it for others, at least be decent enough to put that info on your own website so people have to purposely click a link to get there. Those that don't want your help won't have to look at it.

Oh, and 29 pictures on 1 log? that seems like overkill to me. I think the owner was generous to leave 9 of them. Usually, 1 or 2 pictures are more than enough.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Oh, and 29 pictures on 1 log? that seems like overkill to me. I think the owner was generous to leave 9 of them. Usually, 1 or 2 pictures are more than enough.

Smurfman - I think those pictures were spread out over four different caches. Still, that's almost 8 pics per cache. Even that's a lot imo.

I think the most I've posted at one cache was three.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

quote:
Originally posted by RooBoy:

I am disappointed that my photos were deleted, because I believe that photos and comments allow me to communicate my geocaching expereince. A secondary result, is that I may help others enjoy the geocaching experience.

We really appreciate it when people post photos from their caching adventures. There have been MANY times we have seen a picture on someone's post, and immediately thought 'wow, that's spectaular (interesting, neat, etc), we simply MUST do this cache!" Because of people's photos, we've had many adventures that we wouldn't have otherwise. So in return, we like to take a photo or 2 or 3 at exceptional caches and post them on the cache page with our log. It is also very rewarding when we meet fellow cachers who thank us for the photos we have posted, and who sometimes recognize us from the photos. We've never had a photo deleted.

I've been known to post more than a few pictures to a log. Some people say I'm the sole reason for when the site gets slow. I try to keep the pictures about scenery but sometimes even that is more info than the hider wants to give out. I don't think I've had any deleted yet, but I don't post spoilers. Brdad even asked me why don't I just write a coffee table book about his Old 470 cache, why don't I huh? If someone posts a picture of the cache container on two of my caches where I worked really hard on the camouflage you can bet your sweet bippie it's going to get deleted! And that's my right as the owner.

Planet

I've posted pics with my logs on a lot of caches. But if the owner doesn't want them there, no problem, there gone. I appreciate the fact that they took the time to hide the cache, so that I could go enjoy looking for it. Part of that appreciation is letting them decide how to maintain the log, even if my pics get deleted.

I keep a Webshots album (see my sig) for my geocaching pics, only I can delete them, and they are the full resolution pics, a much better way to keep them.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

Rooboy caches in my area, maybe he can slide those cache photos my way. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, most of his photos are not giveaways and are relevant to his Geocaching experience. I've enjoyed viewing them.

Do I think it's ok to post an obvious spoiler? No, but I have seen some posted and not removed by the owner. No big deal really, that is up to the owner, but it should at least be labeled as a spoiler.

What about general cache locations photos, one that shows the area where the gps leads you? Well, sometimes they're a give-away and sometimes they're not. If you don't mind being censored from time to time, don't worry about it, but general area shots probably bothers the cache owner more than you might realize.

Apparently in this case your photo was more detail than the owner wanted people to see. Don't get worked up about it, it happens. Just remember the more location shots you post the more likely you'll be edited.

See ya.

I enjoy looking at the pics myself. But, I agree that it's up to the cache owner. Maybe a solution is to upload them somewhere on the net and then place a link to it on the cache page where it says Users Web Page or a "go here" link to see the pictures. You may want to add that the pics may contain spoilers somewhere on it too, in case they do.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

pumpkinlights.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

I enjoy looking at the pics myself. But, I agree that it's up to the cache owner. Maybe a solution is to upload them somewhere on the net and then place a link to it on the cache page where it says Users Web Page or a "go here" link to see the pictures.

Good idea, except......

If I was the cache owner, and I looked over the log, found the link, looked at the photos, and decided they gave away too much info..... what to do?

Well, since I cannot delete the offending photos... guess I would need to encrypt or even DELETE the entire log. Encrypt if the link went inactive - delete to kill the link if needed. There is a middle ground here. And I think 8 of 29 photos is a good middle-ground. JMHO...

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Perspective from a newbie here....

We went to do a cache this weekend, and as we were reading through the logs, one of the pic's decription gave the location totally away. icon_frown.gif

Now the kids still had fun looking for it, but it totally spoiled the cache for us.

A picture link you can click on to see the pic. or choose not to, but the description underneath is there no matter what.

Maybe include in the picture decription the phrase spoiler.

The cache owner has the right to remove some pics if he/she wants to. I think it would be courtesy if the poster recieved a message with their reasons however.

Scott

quote:
Originally posted by RooBoy:

I visited a couple of caches yesterday and uploaded some images today. The images cane be categorized as: trail photos, cache vicinity, cache container, cache location.

Well, 30 minutes ago I get an email from the cache owner (the same person owned all 4 caches I visited) saying that he had deleted most of my photos--only 9 of 29 remain icon_frown.gif .

My questions are:

1. Can this person do this?

2. Has anyone had this happen to themselves?

3. What, if any, recourse do I have?

Since Rooboy is talking about me I guess I should reply.

1. Yes, the cache owner can delete photos as needed, also encrypt your log, or just delete it. (Which reminds me, you still have not changed the second find on the I380 cache to a note as asked.)

2. If you post something that is against what the owner wants on the page (ie. spoilers, lots of them and dead giveaways) it may be deleted.

3. Find a happy medium with the placer (ie, you consider how helpfull/hurtfull your pics will be to later finders, and take less apperant photos and I don't have to police you)

quote:
I am disappointed that my photos were deleted, because I believe that photos and comments allow me to communicate my geocaching expereince. A secondary result, is that I may help others enjoy the geocaching experience (I have geocaching friends in Australia and German that monitor my finds, and photos are a good way of getting an idea of the location).

Ciao

RooBoy

rooboy0000@yahoo.com

I have no problem with you documenting your adventure with pictures. What I have a problem with is your posting a series of pics like "this is the parking spot, this is the trailhead, this is something on the trail you'll pass, this is what the cache hiding spot looks like from the trail, this is the hiding spot, and this is the cache itself". It stops helping others find the cache, and just gives it away, killing most of the experience IMO. This is especially true when done to a cache to which you are the First To Find!

And RooBoy, please do not post pics of the container itself, or the container in plane view. It, removes any question as to the containers size and apperance. You'll notice I often omit this one on the cache page, so why would I want you to put a picture of it up? If someone wants to know this, or any other hints, they are free and welcome to contact me.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Good to see a response from the actual cache owner that clarifies the situation very well. Having gotten over my initial attack of cuteness icon_wink.gif, let me say this: I absolutely love it when I come across pictures posted with a log - in fact, I sometimes spend time seaching for caches that have good pictures posted. This is because my signature item is a continuously expanding series of laminated cards I call "Scenic Caches of the Great American Southwest". You can take a look at some of them in the thread in the Southwest Forum entitled (surprise!) "Scenic Caches of the Great American Southwest". Some of these cards are constructed from photos I have taken myself, but many of them are made from photos taken by other cachers and posted in their logs. By the way, when I use another person's photo for a card, I ask permission from the person who took the picture and I give them photo credit on the card itself.

However, here are a couple of things you should consider, Rooboy. Although I don't think there's anything officially declaring this, we should consider any cache listing as if it were the property of the cache owner. With that in mind, we shouldn't get bent out of shape at anything the cache owner elects to do with his/her cache listing, whether it is removing some pictures we've posted or even deleting our entire log - it's their cache listing, after all.

I also think that when we post a picture, it ought to be with the intention of enhancing the cache experience for other cachers or illustrating our personal caching experience. If you encounter a cache where you took in some really great scenery, I personally think that posting a picture showing that scenery will draw other cachers to seek it out. Likewise, if your log entry tells of encountering some wildlife along the way or falling into the local swamp, a shot of the critter or of yourself covered in swamp gunk will add to the story. On the other hand, if the cache owner wanted to show folks the specific cache location or the cache container, I think you should assume that the cache owner would have posted those shots him/herself, don't you?

Keep on taking pictures and posting them - many of us love to see them. But use some discretion - and some restraint - in what you show and how many pictures you post, and I don't think you'll find yourself being edited.

Peace,

Radical Geezer

quote:
Originally posted by pnew:

lol smurfman

orange leg

(what does that make me?)

Man, I don't know. I'm not sure exactly what your avatar is. I would consider calling you Attack Tootsie roll, but that makes it longer than your name.

I used Smurfman because it's slightly shorter and easier to type than GPSaxaphone. icon_wink.gif

I guess I could have also used Saxman.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

I love caches with pics. I love posting pics of my cache-finds. But if the cache owner doesn't like 'em, by all means, delete away.

In fact, if I think a pic I post might be a spoiler, I email the cache-owner and get his OK in advance before posting it.

Saves the trouble of them having to delete it and gives everyone the warm fuzzies.