The Numbers Game

TEAM 360

The last 8 days:

20 caches.

6 benchmarks.

3 states.

3054.7 miles.

That's 152.735 miles per cache.

In these last 8 days, I have found .00031094043% of all the active caches in the world (Geocaching.com data only).

Using that rate of recovery, and if the game of geocaching comes to a halt with no new caches placed, I will find all the active caches in 160,802.5 days, or just over 440 years, with a total of 61.4 million miles traveled.

My Explorer gets 20 m.p.g., so I will need to buy just over 3,070,021 gallons of gas in order to drive to all the cache locations. Gas is currently $1.81/gallon in the Phoenix area, so it will cost me....well....alot.

I gotta go fill up.

Allegedly, a pipeline burst coming from Tucson to Phx not too long ago, spilling 10,000 gallons. The pipeline was shutdown, and I've heard anywhere from 10%-1450% of our daily fuel comes from this pipeline, creating a shortage where regions of the Valley are running out of fuel, despite what AAA and everyone seem to be saying.

In a matter of 24-hours, fuel prices went from $1.79/gal. to $1.95, despite AAA stating vehemently that it would NOT hit $2.00/gal. like it did when the Iraq thing started.

[edit]

Before the gas prices climbed this quickly, they were hovering around the $1.54 mark.

[/edit]

Conveniently, the pipeline in question only pumps PREMIUM fuel, which doesn't explain why all prices went up so much in such a short time. The claim is that because premium is gone (for now), that all these other drivers are now consuming the rest of the available grades. The latest claim is that the company responsible for the line is waiting for permission to being pressurized testing of the line from the Office of Pipeline Safety (there's such a thing?), and that the testing could take a few weeks in order to ensure that the pipe itself is safe <insert chain pulling wisecrack here>.

I don't know how much of this to buy, because little seems to be getting done about it, and many of the gas stations on the west side of town seem to be running dry, with the problem slowly making its way across the Valley. Of the 300 CircleK stations in town, 100 are without fuel, and the rest are initiating rolling blackouts to 'spread the pain' I guess. Many other stations are running out, with station owners being told that gas (in some cases) was being delivered every 3rd day, but the stations are running out within a few hours.

The fact that we were told it wasn't going to be any sort of crisis is um, not accurate. When you have cars lined up 60-deep for fuel at one of the 2 stations in the city with gas, and people getting into fights over it, try and convince me there isn't a problem.

</rant>

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by pnew:

$1.81! icon_redface.gif

...and I thought Houston's $1.42 was high

I just filled up at $1.91. At another station, they were getting $1.99.

On Friday morning, I filled up my car for $1.83. After work, I filled up my Jeep at the same station for $1.87 - a 4 cent increase in less than 10 hours... This is the same station that I went to today, so between Friday morning and Sunday evening (2.5 days), the price of 87 octane went from $1.83 to 1.91...

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

When I left for work today, every statation nearby had gas and few customers. 10 hours later, 3/5 stations within a mile of me were out, yet our glorious governor says the state has PLENTY of gas for the public and not to freak out. Hmmm....Phoenix is the only region of the state with a gas problem, so of course she's going to say the state as a whole is alright. What I wouldn't do for the opportunity to shove a gas nozzle down her throat for that bureacratic crap.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

Peanuts...

$4.40 unleaded

Cheapest I found today in Tampere, Finland

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

Ah, I knew there was a reason I didn't live in Finland....lol. So what's the explanation for gas costing so much over there Divine, I've been curious about that for some time now. My first thought is all the taxes added, is that it?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

What I wouldn't do for the opportunity to shove a gas nozzle down her throat for that bureacratic crap.

Brian

Team A.I.

Well, it wouldn't do you any good if there was no gas at the pump!

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

Ah, I knew there was a reason I didn't live in Finland....lol.

icon_biggrin.gif You're always welcome, though. icon_smile.gif Oh, and when you are coming, could you pretty please bring some gas with you?icon_wink.gif

quote:
So what's the explanation for gas costing so much over there Divine, I've been curious about that for some time now. My first thought is all the taxes added, is that it?
Yeah, taxes definitely, you got that right. I remember reading somewhere that up to 75% of the gas price is taxes.icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif Wish I knew the reasons.icon_confused.gif

The same goes with alcohol and tobacco. Luckily I don't smoke. icon_smile.gif I just might move into another country after I've found all the Finnish caches.icon_biggrin.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -