GAP shops!

Guest Tom Sawyer

Guest Tom Sawyer

Does anyone know of any waypoints for GAP shops in the US? Me and the girlfriend will be visiting the US (hopefully) soon and she is a BIG fan of GAP clothes. So rather than having to wander aimlessly in the hope of bumping into a GAP store I was wondering if anyone knows the relevant waypoints. That way I can impress the hell out of her and gain brownie points for spending £200 on what she thinks is a 'boy's toy'.

Also, if anyone knows of waypoints for any 'outlets' that too would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

P.S. we'll be driving down from San Fransisco to LA, and possibly on to San Diego

Guest Tom Sawyer

Cheers ClayJar

I've no idea where Baton Rouge is but I'll take your word for it.

And just to let you know, I love the US. I went there for the first time last year and again earlier this year. Great country and mainly great people, and I can't tell you how shocked, stunned and upset I am at what's happened.

P.S. I live in the UK

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sawyer:

Does anyone know of any waypoints for GAP shops in the US? ...

Thanks

Tom

P.S. we'll be driving down from San Fransisco to LA, and possibly on to San Diego

You can get http://www.mapsonus.com/ to give them. Start at the home page, under "New Users Start Here:" click "yellow pages". Then to make sure you get Lat/Long to make your waypoints click "General Options" on the left. Select the "Show Latitude & Longitude:" check box. Then "Set General Options". Then again select "Name Search" under Yellow pages. Fill out form with "GAP" for name, enter city name (Note it is spelled San Francisco). Click on any of the stores there and it gives the lat/long in decimal degrees.

Guest bunkerdave

Haven't tried this, but you might go to www.switchboard.com. Search for "GAP" and it should give you some addresses. Plug that address into "Mapblast" (the same site that gives us the maps that are on all the cache postings) and it will give you coords for the addresses. I have used this to get coords for numerous locations I have needed to get to, and I am always within 50 feet or so. It will certainly get you close enough to see the store.

One caveat: Many, perhaps most, GAP stores are in shopping malls, which in the US can get quite intimidating. You may have some hunting to do if the stores you seek are in those malls.

When I get a minute, I will try this, and let you know how it goes.

bd

Just did it - Works like a charm. The coords Mapblast gives are in Degree Decimal. I have a Map330, so I can put the coords in my GPS in any format I happen to be using, but yours may not do this. I have made the conversion on these coords for you, to WGS-84. Since I don't know how good you are at all this stuff, I will just tell you. TO make the conversion, simply multiply everything to the RIGHT of the decimal by 60. The number you get will be somewhere between 0 and 60. These are your minutes. You should be able to figure it out from there, in case you haven't already.

Here's one in San Francisco:

890 Market Street

(WGS-84 - Converted from Degree Decimal)

N37 47.08128

W122 24.44898

It works exactly like I said. According to Switchboard, there are numerous GAP stores in SF, and, I am sure you will have little trouble finding as many as you want. I could not tell if any listed were outlets, but I recommend finding those, if possible. Designer clothing stores, especially in upscale urban areas in the US, are generally a rip-off, and you will pay way too much for their merchandise. Malls are good places to avoid, also, as they have significant overhead. Just FYI, IMHO.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by bunkerdave (edited 14 September 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

Haven't tried this, but you might go to www.switchboard.com. Search for "GAP" and it should give you some addresses. ...

bd

Sounds like it would, but as side note mapsonus.com is owned by switchboard.com http://www.mapsonus.com and http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/ go to the same place. So I assume anything switchboard.com can find, so can the "yellow pages" of mapsonus.com.