Use the hint?

Kodak's4

A lot of the time, it depends on how much time I have. I bag a lot of caches on my lunch break, so if I can't find it fairly quickly, I'll break the hint.

On weekend caches, I'll take a lot longer. If I can't find it after about 45 minutes, then I'll decode the hint (which, sometimes, is actually useful).

OK... I can't say I've never read the hints or descriptions... but usually, when I'm heading out... I'll just grab my GPSR... which I've already loaded with all in-state cache coordinates and go with nothing more than that.

Since most of the caches I search are 100 miles (or more) away, it doesn't make sense to review them (or the cache descriptions) when I get back home... I may never get a chance to hunt for them again.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines!

The early bird gets the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

Like others, my use of hints is situational. If I am alone on a hunt for one or two and not pressed for time, I'll refrain from using the hint until all other measures have failed. If I'm out on a day of caching with someone else and we're trying to hit a bunch in a given area, or I'm in a spot where I am not likely to return anytime soon, I'm more apt to use the hint if we run into problems locating the cache.

I completely agree with exConn, too: some hints are completely useless (and I'm probably as guilty as anyone for having provided some lame ones in the past)! My favorite: those that you decrypt to find that they only tell you the name of the park in which the cache is hidden (as if you can't tell that from the map)!

24_700.gif

Sounds like exConn and I have the same idea. Unless its a really short cheat, I'll go ahead and decrypt it before printing. Then I just fold the paper so that I can't see the cheat. If I can't find it after searching for a while, I'll go ahead and unfold the paper and take a look.

And I have defnitely seen some pretty bad cheats. A recent example was something like, "take the trail for about 3/4 of a mile, cache is off to the side."

I always read the hint before I go, because we have to travel so far to find a cache these days -- easily a couple hours' drive one way.

And I usually try to find an area where we can try to find three or four, so then I end up getting myself confused about which hunt goes with which cache. But since I'm usually not able to come back for a second try for the better part of a year, I REALLY want to find it. (And I get frustrated easily, which doesn't help at all.)

I usually look at the hint when I see the cache page for the first time. Helps me decide if I even want to attempt it. If it looks like something I'm interested in I'll print out the first 2-3 pages (unencrypted and enough to get a couple of recent logs), enter the coordinates, and file the printout away in a folder.

I usually have a set agenda in planning out the order and number of caches to seek given my time constraints. Some that appear harder I may put off so I can dedicate more time to them. Since there is normally a pretty good time delay between printing the cache details and beginning the adventure most of the details are forgotten.

Once I'm ready to go I'll reread the caches notes for details (parking, things to watch for, trail info, etc.). I'll usually give it about 45 min before resorting to decrypting the hint and/or reading a few of the logs for potential clues.

Anyway, the short version is #3 with a caveat.

hint? absolutely not ... no way... un-uh. If I brought the cache sheet my wife wouldn't have anything to complain about as we go into our second hour of searching the same 50 square feet! I have made phone calls from the middle of the deep dark forest back to the base camp and been given the hint. BUT ONLY ONCE icon_biggrin.gif

11902_900.gif

hint? absolutely not ... no way... un-uh. If I brought the cache sheet my wife wouldn't have anything to complain about as we go into our second hour of searching the same 50 square feet! I have made phone calls from the middle of the deep dark forest back to the base camp and been given the hint. BUT ONLY ONCE icon_biggrin.gif

11902_900.gif