THE GEOCACHE EXCHANGE: International Trading

CO Admin

We placed Dutch Treat, een Nederlandse traktatie in Alaska a couple of weeks ago here in Alaska with the help of Johny Cache in the Netherlands. A travel bug that originated in the Netherlands showed up in the cache this weekend.

Our reciprocal cache hasn't been placed by Johny Cache yet because the Alaskan package hasn't shown up overseas after nearly six weeks :(. Sure am glad we insured the contents. This could be a record for us having a cache get muggled before the goods were even put in the container :(.

To hold down shipping costs, Johny Cache and we agreed to supply the cache container and disposable camera on our respective sides of the ocean. Shipping an ammo box would have doubled the shipping charges.

To hold down shipping costs, Johny Cache and we agreed to supply the cache container and disposable camera on our respective sides of the ocean. Shipping an ammo box would have doubled the shipping charges.

The ammo cans are sometimes interesting as they are not used commonly everywhere. They are heavy and they will bust the bank on shipping. I have always done as you did.

Been reading through this tread and found it to be an interesting idea.

I'd like to try out an exchange with a cacher from Sweden or Norway. If there's any question, I'm from Minnesota in the US.

I think it'd be a neat way to learn a little bit about my heritage, and in return, for someone to learn a little bit about how things are here in Minnesota (we actually have quite a few decendants of people from that region).

I can be reached via my geocaching profile's email address.

The ammo cans are sometimes interesting as they are not used commonly everywhere. They are heavy and they will bust the bank on shipping. I have always done as you did.

It isn't that bad. I sent an ammo box to Europe and shipping was only $30 and that was sent the most expensive method with $400 insurance (no the insurance wasn't for the ammo box). You can knock the cost down quite a bit if you aren't pressed for time and send it the slow way. Could take a long time to get there though. As long as two months.

This seems like a fantastic idea! Would really spice up the contents of local geocaches, we're up for helping out! Anyone interested we're on the sunny south coast of UK and putting together some caches as we speak!

Everywhere we go "hmmm, would a cache be good there?"

Everywhere we shop " hmm, would that fit in a cache?"

Everywhere we are "I wonder if there's a cache round here"

Everyday we're at work "I'd rather be geocaching!"

Sending you an e-mail - - I'm located in the Washington, DC area and would like to do an exchange with someone in the UK.

I've two International Cache Exchanges going right now. One from Australia ("ICE - A Taz In America") and one from Japan ("Little Japan in Idaho"). It took about a month to work out all the details, get the goodies purchased, mailed off, and the cache here placed but it was a fantastic experience!!

Edited by LadyStevenson
We placed Dutch Treat, een Nederlandse traktatie in Alaska a couple of weeks ago here in Alaska with the help of Johny Cache in the Netherlands.  A travel bug that originated in the Netherlands showed up in the cache this weekend.

The other half of our international cache exchange went live in the Netherlands last weekend: Golden Heart of Alaska.

Funny thing happened...after the first box of Alaskan trade good "went missing" for eight weeks, we sent a second box which reached Johny Cache in only five days. A week later, the first box arrived intact, so Johny Cache has quite the supply of goodies for future cache maintenance.

All in all, the feedback has been great! Johny Cache really outdid us with his Alaskan trivia quiz puzzle cache. The junior ladybugs have already received one Dutch postcard from a cache finder and they immediately ran to the globe asking where the the postcard came from.

One of my other hobbies is Miniature painting. We do the same thing, we paint up a mini and ship it. From that, I would suggest GC making a special forum to help those willing to exchange to hook up.

An even better idea, although more time and money intensive is for someone, if not GC, to come up with a website. People would register, put thier locations, where they want to send thier caches, etc. and the scripts would send out emails when a match is found.