THE GEOCACHE EXCHANGE: International Trading

CO Admin

The quote from below was originaly posted by canadazuuk. The thread was deleted in error. In no way was this intentional. I was responding to an alert on this thread, which btw was unfounded, and clicked the wrong icon. I am sorry. PLease feel free to repost your comments.

CO Admin

quote:
I have asked another geocacher from Finland to participate in what might be a fun addition to geocaching.

The idea I have involves exchanging a new, fully prepared geocache with a geocacher from a different country. The cache is to be filled with items unique to your locality, and any items unique to geocaching in general. (ie: Items from the Groundspeak store.) The cache should include a logbook and writing utensil in addition to a container.

It would be up to the two geocachers involved to arrange the trade.

Once an exchange has occured, each geocacher would then have the other person's geocache to hide as their own, as per current gc.com guidelines. It is suggested that both cachers names be listed in the 'hidden by' section.

Some further ideas would be:

Have the person you exchange with make up the title for your cache

Make a children's cache and have them involved

Include pictures of the geocachers involved in the trade

Let the cache description tell about the unique items

I am in no way soliciting any changes to the geocaching.com guidelines. This is simply an exchange of geocaches prior to their being listed on gc.com

Feedback and input is very welcomed. I have asked the geocacher from Finland to reply to this thread with their thoughts, and hopefully their agreement to take part in the first exchange.

Best regards,

canadazuuk

I work for the QOFE that works for the Frog

tongue.gif The Frog is my friend big_smile.gif

Ahh...thought something was missing.

The idea is an excellent one, and in reference to a question asked in the original thread about costs to ship.

I suggested that I spend about lets say up to 50.00 US to ship anime dvd box set of about 2lbs and 75.00 US to ship swords (real..yes I collect them) which weigh in close to 6 lbs (but are larger boxes.

I once paid 20.00 US to let something tour on boat across, it was painfully slow.

A suggestion I made to overcome fees of oversea shipping was to work out a chain of cachers to assist in moving the cache to the final location.

Perhaps asking in forums for cachers that are going to be overseas and see if they'll take a package with them and then they could find a spot to stash and place and report the coords. You could then get another cacher to pick it up whom was close to the coords.

Ideally it would be almost like the old moving caches, except you can't officially post those unless gc.com makes an exception, the exception being that the cache will become a traditional as soon as it arrives.

Either way you try to get it there I'm sure this would be a lot of fun.

Another question I replied to was someone mentioned how to handle price tactfully.

I think if your up front and specify what you think is a good minimum and maximum price then ask the other what they think as well. All sides should be able to agree and there shouldn't be any 300.00 caches traded for 5.00 caches 9as a post now deleted brought up.)

Anyway my 2.5 cents.

Keith

Bear & Ducky

I really like the idea of a "team" approach to this idea. Say, a canadian west coast team trading with other teams in other countries? By pooling resources we could come up with some really great caches that would truly represent their area of origin.

Canadazuuk, why don't you contact me via email and we can put our heads together and then contact cachers in this area to see if we can put something together.

"MMMMMM....you guys gotta try these geocacher thingys, they taste just like chicken!"- Gentle Ben

Ya know, given the international nature of this perhaps we could approach the tourism authorities in our respective areas and obtain some freebie items to include in the caches. Bumper stickers, lapel pins, information booklets, stuff like that...

"MMMMMM....you guys gotta try these geocacher thingys, they taste just like chicken!"- Gentle Ben

quote:
Perhaps asking in forums for cachers that are going to be overseas and see if they'll take a package with them and then they could find a spot to stash and place and report the coords...

I can see the guy at the ticket counter answering the questions at check-in..

"Has anyone asked you to carry anything on this flight?"

"Umm, Uhh, well you see....." icon_rolleyes.gif

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

Here are most of the rest of the posts that were on the original thread:

quote:
Bear & Ducky:

I think the best way you'd control it is just be up front about it.

When you get someone in a conversation about doing a cache exchange treat it like you were talking to a friend about exchanging christmas gifts.

Ask: "How much do you want to cap spending off for the cache? Container Cost Included?"

and "Whats the minimum cost you want it to be?"

It when then go to reason that both parties could agree on a cap and min but will probably spend the cap and if they spend more or only the minimum there shouldn't be any hard feelings or embarassment on one side or the other.

After all you agreed on the price range.

I think being open up front will not require any tact on this subject.

Keith

PS - Really great idea canadazuuk by the way!

Bear & Ducky

quote:
BrianSnat:

Not a bad idea at all. I'd seriously consider doing something like this. If any overseas geocacher is interested in participating, please contact me.

BTW, anybody know how much it costs to ship an ammo box overseas? What's the cheapest way of doing so outside the "slow boat to China" method? When my brother-in-law lived in Hong Kong, if we chose the cheapest shipping method to send gifts, or home goods through the USPS it could take over 3 months for the stuff to get there (literally a slow boat to China).

Is there a better way to ship slightly heavy items (like a stocked cache) overseas?

quote:
El Diablo:

It is a great idea! The shipping is going to run at least 25.00 through USPS which is about 10 days. The other problem is going to be customs. U.S customs won't be as big of a problem as some other countries. I've been in the International shipping business for 10 years and have shipped to most countries and some of their import laws are very strict.

I once sent some magazines to England and on the Commercial Invoice I listed it as printed matter.That was a 600.00 fine since I didn't specify magazines.I could you dozens of exzmples like that. Also keep in mind that there are duties and taxes.

El Diablo

quote:
Divine:

I'm the Finnish guy canadazuuk mentioned in his original post. Like other people in this thread, I too find the idea great. I've considered this hobby global ever since I started caching, and this cache exchange idea promotes the global aspect in great positive way. So I'm with you on this, canadazuuk. We can fix the details on private emails, but let the general discussion on topic go on in this thread.

As for ammo boxes, they are not easily available here. I have seen them on sale only in one shop, and they were quite expensive. I guess the container type, type of items, shipping methods etc. should be left for the exchanging partners to agree.

I'll advertise this topic in some international forums, if someone hasn't done that already.

quote:
kevin917z:

sounds like a cool idea, anyone from germany want to trade caches?

quote:
amishangel:

I boosted a couple of travelbugs overseas after seeing they were not making very good progress i.e. two years trying for new zealand and 5500 miles to boot. Contacted a geocacher in locale and express mailed it. Just an idea to consider for small items. Even included a texas geocoin, might be the only one of it's kind in kiwiland.

quote:
GrizzlyJohn:

Actually the cool part may be if you have the chance at some point in the future to visit the country and you could go hunt for your own cache.

I guess the point on the ammo cans is to leave that up to the cachers involved. There may be local issues or where the other cacher intends to hide the cache that may mean whatever type of container the other is thinking of using may not be a good choice.

But yes a real cool idea. Maybe at some point in the future the cachers could exchange back the caches and then place them back in the hiding place the other one was.

quote:
New England n00b:

Cool.

OK here's my offer:

I will make a New Hampshire, USA for shipment to anywhere is US/World (except NH) or General USA for shipment anywhere outside the world.

The cache I'd like to see in return should be themed for your nation (outside US) or your local non-US region if there is enough material for you to build a local cache. If inside the US, your cache should be state-specific.

I'll be using one of the spare 30 cal ammo cans I got in my last purchase. I don't care what container you choose, so long as it's a good quality and not a cheap gladware type product.

If anyone is interested, please email me through GC.com and we'll get things rolling.

(Keep in mind, much as I'd like to trade to Cuba for a cache of real Cuban cigars, I cannot do that. I must respect US laws, even when I see something really cool.). I'll need to know if your state/nations has any prohibitions I should be aware of as well.

Top notch idea canadazuuk!

OK, I'm using Mozilla and the edit button won't show up.

Make that a General USA for shipment outside the UNITED STATES!

I can't afford a ride on the space shuttle

quote:
StormShadow:

Sign me up. I know that there has got to be a Bavarian/Parisian/Czech/Roman etc. out there that wants to place a Pennsylvania Amish cache. Email me.

I said something expressing approval of the idea and suggested that people could only ship the trade items and each supply a local container to save on shipping. At the same time, I could see why people would want to send an ammo can to a place were they are not normally seen.

pika waving

There were a couple more:

quote:
BradC314:

I really like this idea. Imagine being able to log 'your' cache hidden by someone else in another part of the country/world.

Cool.

quote:
StormShadow:

Excuse me. I can't belive I forgot Texan as well.

quote:
carleenp:

I think this is a great idea! I would definitely do it. Maybe to cut shipping costs, the container could be supplied at each end, and just the contents get shipped. Of course if ammo cans are not widely used elsewhere, then perhaps the can becomes a unique enough part of the cache that it should be shipped too.

pika waving

I hope that pretty much covers everything. I had a copy of all posts except mine (notifications do not send you your own for some reason...).

The content of my original second post, which was regarding packaging and shipping issues, can be posted again later, or by someone who has the technology to recover it... icon_wink.gif

I'll be moving from NJ back to Czech Republic next summer and we'll be shipping some our stuff as a small freight shipment - I was already thinking about taking my cache and some spare ammo boxes. I can pack one or two more caches if anybody is interested.

Just I'll have to cheat when declaring that the shipped items are my property and not intended for trading ;-)

Czech caching in US.

In regards to shipping ammo boxes or going with them through customs.

An ex girlfriend of mine (whos from Michigan but lived in Ontario for University) Use to carry an ammo box as a purse.

She'd walk through customs all the time when we went to visit folks in the US, then again this was way before 9/11 ever happened.

I think an ammo box probably draws as much attention as a sword does, I ship them with no problem, but you have to expect the box will be opened and searched. So no sticking any shell casings in as trade items icon_wink.gif

Keith

Bear & Ducky

I recall seeing your cache at one point, but no, my idea is quite different.

The idea here is an exchange of unhidden geocaches, exchanged prior to them even being listed on the site. Two people, two families or two groups exchange caches, and then list the other persons cache as their own, as per the current gc.com guidelines.

I am working on putting together the first geocache to be exchanged. It is going to be a camo painted Lock & Lock container. I'd like to have it mailed in the next few days. I will post some pictures here. (I am also finalizing the cache that I am sending to my contest winner of 2 weeks ago.)

People are welcome to trade items only if they wish, however, for many caches, the container itself can be interesting. Part of the exchange could involve creating a home made container...

I like BeDoggy's idea of teams trading caches. The whole idea here is to encourage cooperation amongst cachers from all areas in the world. And as Divine noted in an e-mail to me, 'it promotes the global aspect of our hobby and possibly makes people interested about the exchange country/area.'

icon_smile.gif This offer is still open:

quote:
I will make a New Hampshire, USA for shipment to anywhere is US/World (except NH) or General USA for shipment anywhere outside the world.

The cache I'd like to see in return should be themed for your nation (outside US) or your local non-US region if there is enough material for you to build a local cache. If inside the US, your cache should be state-specific.

I'll be using one of the spare 30 cal ammo cans I got in my last purchase. I don't care what container you choose, so long as it's a good quality and not a cheap gladware type product.

If anyone is interested, please email me through GC.com and we'll get things rolling.

---------------------

It wasn't me.

Sorry, I think this is the same thing as the Peace Arch cache. The Alethiometrists and I exchanged our own cache items. He sent me a box filled with North Carolina items, and I sent him a box of BC items. I hid his box as my own, and he hid my box as his own. We just took it a step further and made it a multi stage to further the cooperation between countries. Please read the cache page to see more.

Don't want to take anything away from what you were saying Zuuk, but I also don't want to take anything away from the fact that this has been done already by The Alethiometrists.

"You are cleared for geocaching."

Yep, my fault for not mentioning that. You're right, it's not mentioned in the cache page. Sorry about that. I'm in the process of trying to get an exchange with someone in Wales. You're right though, it is a terrific idea, and a great way to make some international caching friends.

If there is anyone who would like to do another one here in Victoria, I'd be happy to exchange!!

"You are cleared for geocaching."

Looks like we're good to go on an American/Australian cache exchange! Anyone have a TB looking for a lift to Australia? Anyone have any suggestions as to what items I should put in the cache? I'll be sending the cache in 4 or 5 days.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

Cache is ready for Australia!

a8b0344e-b51a-4529-8e38-caf185dbe9ef.jpg

68d9704a-1c86-47e9-97f4-3eb1ce2160a9.jpg

6319eddd-43eb-4151-8284-07d756aa6396.jpg

Contents include: American flag, 'libery' mini book, Tom Clancy novel, Hummer H2, '64 Corvette, Fire truck, N. American plane, assorted American flag stickers, bandanas & pin, Coca-Cola Logbook, Kodak mini puzzle, american flag pencil, Yankees basebell, Yankee Bobble head, and some other typical trade items, including 2 travel bugs.

As you can see the container is an ammo box. One side is camo the other is hand painted with the American Flag & Australian Flag.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

This is a fantastic idea -- but I wonder if GC.com would allow two geocachers' names to appear on the cache listing? I have wondered about that locally, because there are a few caches down here that were planned out and hidden by three of us who do geocaching sometimes as a team.

The cache has always been only on one cacher's listing, even if there has been more hiders. Gc.com allows more text than just hider's name on the Hidden by -line. I figured my international trade cache in Canada to be under canadazuuk's hidden caches listing (on the Hidden by -line there would read canadazuuk & Divine) and canadazuuk would naturally be the one who's responsible of the maintenance etc. Vice versa, the cache sent by canadazuuk and hidden by me would be under my hidden caches listing, but the Hidden by -line would mention also canadazuuk's name.

(Canadazuuk, we should continue our business, sorry I've been nonresponsive lately. Busy at work & the usual excuses ;) )

I have access to ammo boxes locally, lets agree on a relative volume of stuff to include in the caches and I will be happy to send you stuff from Nebraska and receive stuff from your country and we can use our own ammo boxes/tupperware.

This will save alot of weight as well as customs concerns.

We have a lot of folks here whose families came from Denmark and Germany, so I would particularly be interested in trading with cachers from these countries to give the cachers in my area an extra incentive to find the cache, but would be happy to get this started with anyone from outside the US.

Edited by bigredmed

I think this is a GREAT idea - and I'd love to host a cache down here in Austin, Texas. Heck, I'd be happy to switch caches with someone in any other country - even someone from another state in the U.S.

If anyone is interested, we could just mail the contents to each other - I can find an appropriate container. Or we could mail the whole thing, if you'd like.

Let me know!