Hints???

I'm guilty of giving lame hints if I think they aren't really needed.

Hints like "You'll get no help from me"

"Zike!"

"You're on your own"

My favorite is "Cheater! Why are you looking here?"

I will leave a helpful hint is the hiding place is tricky or if I feel they are really needed.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Yes, quite a few people agree. If you search on useless clues you find an nice long thread devoted to the topic as well as many other miscellaneous occurances in other threads.

Two of the most annoying I've come across:

1. An encrypted clue that suggest the best hours to search so as to avoid geomuggles. Come on! I'm not decrypting the clue until I am in the field and stumped ... that is absolute wrong time to inform me when I should and shouldn't be there!

2. An encrypted clue that in effect suggested we were stupid for not finding the cache. Not cool when it's your 8 year old son and 5 year old daughter decrypting the clue!

Note, I am not suggesting that every cache have hints ... simply that if you are going to provide a clue don't make it useless. My take is that if you can't come up with a clever clue that provides legitimate assistance then don't bother. It isn't cute or funny to say "no clue here".

-=-=-=-=-=-

GPS_Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=

I don't have a problem with hints the way Jolly explains because I don't feel that a hint is required. My problem is a hint that says something like. "If you have hayfever bring lots of kleenex." or "Don't wear shorts the stickers will get you." This is information that I think belongs in the cache main page not in a hint that you may not read until after you have not been able to find the cache without it.

I second the motion. Nothing worse than those, "You don't need a hint" hints. I want to strangle the owner that does that. Matter of fact there are a couple caches that I want to do, but I refuse to just because an owner has done stuff like that in previous caches I attempted. If you don't want to give a clue then don't, but don't wast peoples time by giving stupid ones.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I agree with Jolly. If your not going to leave a hint, leave it blank.

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page

quote:
Originally posted by CaymanCache:

Who else gets irritated with hints that aren't even worth decrypting. I found one where the hint tells you to refer to another cache hidden somewhere! How is that going to help you?

anyone else agree?http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=79950ffa-4c27-41bb-934e-9b9df889787d

J2 HIKERS

I hate the ones that say "email me if you need a clue" Grrr... 250 miles later when I get to my email it's rather worthless.

Yeah, a lot of good email does in the middle of the woods.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:

Who else gets irritated with hints that aren't even worth decrypting. I found one where the hint tells you to refer to another cache hidden somewhere! How is that going to help you?

anyone else agree?http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=79950ffa-4c27-41bb-934e-9b9df889787d

J2 HIKERS

I hate the ones that say "email me if you need a clue" Grrr... 250 miles later when I get to my email it's rather worthless.

quote:
Originally posted by NeuroNomad & Sublonde:

I second the motion. Nothing worse than those, "You don't need a hint" hints. I want to strangle the owner that does that. Matter of fact there are a couple caches that I want to do, but I refuse to just because an owner has done stuff like that in previous caches I attempted. If you don't want to give a clue then don't, but don't wast peoples time by giving stupid ones.

quote:

http://www.michaelwhitt.com

I don't mean to cause a controversy but I think Jolly said he was leaving these types of hints not complaining about them.

Uh, oh well. Still don't like them, <GRIN>.

quote:
Originally posted by Cannonlaw:

quote:
Originally posted by NeuroNomad & Sublonde:

quote:

http://www.michaelwhitt.com

I don't mean to cause a controversy but I think Jolly said he was leaving these types of hints not complaining about them.

You guys crack me up! This is the main reason I bought a cheap PDA is so that I had all the hints available at the tap of a button. No more decrypting hints in the field for me.

Do yourself a favor and go to eBay and spend $40-50 on a Handspring Visor Deluxe. You'll thank me later.

--CoronaKid

The most annoying hint I've decrypted was for a cache under thick tree cover, where I'd searched for a while and really needed a clue.

The hint was long, and most of it told me how to get to the general location from the car park. Frustrating! In fact doubly frustrating! Firstly I was already at the general location so all that stuff was by then useless, and secondly it told me, far too late, a much better route than the one I'd taken.

Ah, well...

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

quote:
Originally posted by CoronaKid:

You guys crack me up! This is the main reason I bought a cheap PDA is so that I had all the hints available at the tap of a button. No more decrypting hints in the field for me.

--CoronaKid

You know I have an iPaq, MobiPocket and the like and nothing beats having that piece of paper. I'm just old school I guess icon_smile.gif

Vg'f ng gur onfr bs gur ovt gerr, jryy gur gerr'f abg uhtr ohg bar bs gur ovttrfg nebhaq. Fb...qvq lbh qrpbqr guvf yrggre ol yrggre...be qvq lbh whfg qrpelcg vg! Ubj pbhyq lbh!! Naq lbh pnyy lbhefrys n trbpnpure! Ab, v qba'g oynzr lbh vs lbh qvq. Bar gvzr v unq gb qrpbqr guvf fhcre ybat pyhr naq v jnf hc ba guvf jvaql fybcr naq v jnf jvfuvat v unq whfg hfrq gur qrpecg srngher. v guvax vg gbbx zl unys ubhe gb qrpbqr vg gung bar gvzr. Obl! V ubcr lbh'er abg univat gb qb gung sbe guvf bar evtug abj, orpnhfr rkprcg sbe gur svefg fragrapr abar bs guvf unf nalguvat gb qb jvgu svaqvat gur pnpur....be qbrf vg?!? Fbeel..v'z orvat YNZR.

Spoiler:

It's at the base of the big tree, well the tree's not huge but one of the biggest around. So...did you decode this letter by letter...or did you just decrypt it! How could you!! And you call yourself a geocacher! No, i don't blame you if you did. One time i had to decode this super long clue and i was up on this windy slope and i was wishing i had just used the decrpt feature. i think it took my half hour to decode it that one time. Boy! I hope you're not having to do that for this one right now, because except for the first sentence none of this has anything to do with finding the cache....or does it?!? Sorry..i'm being LAME.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

Yep, that would get someone killed.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Vg'f ng gur onfr bs gur ovt gerr, jryy gur gerr'f abg uhtr ohg bar bs gur ovttrfg nebhaq. Fb...qvq lbh qrpbqr guvf yrggre ol yrggre...be qvq lbh whfg qrpelcg vg! Ubj pbhyq lbh!! Naq lbh pnyy lbhefrys n trbpnpure! Ab, v qba'g oynzr lbh vs lbh qvq. Bar gvzr v unq gb qrpbqr guvf fhcre ybat pyhr naq v jnf hc ba guvf jvaql fybcr naq v jnf jvfuvat v unq whfg hfrq gur qrpecg srngher. v guvax vg gbbx zl unys ubhe gb qrpbqr vg gung bar gvzr. Obl! V ubcr lbh'er abg univat gb qb gung sbe guvf bar evtug abj, orpnhfr rkprcg sbe gur svefg fragrapr abar bs guvf unf nalguvat gb qb jvgu svaqvat gur pnpur....be qbrf vg?!? Fbeel..v'z orvat YNZR.

Spoiler:

It's at the base of the big tree, well the tree's not huge but one of the biggest around. So...did you decode this letter by letter...or did you just decrypt it! How could you!! And you call yourself a geocacher! No, i don't blame you if you did. One time i had to decode this super long clue and i was up on this windy slope and i was wishing i had just used the decrpt feature. i think it took my half hour to decode it that one time. Boy! I hope you're not having to do that for this one right now, because except for the first sentence none of this has anything to do with finding the cache....or does it?!? Sorry..i'm being LAME.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

Oh, sorry. ha ha. I wouldn't tell people my name at the local GeoCacher's meeting, ha ha. Just Kidding. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

That is an actual 'hint' on a cache I have found.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ihazeltine/bandbass.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

anyone else agree?J2 HIKERS

Is that my cache?

I have a cache that has two hints. The second one refers the seeker to another cache in another town. They would have to visit the other cache and then search through the physical logbook to find the clue.

My cache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=68088)

is not easy to find. Some very experienced cachers have stumbled here.

My thoughts are: As long as the clue(s) actually provide information, and the cache seeker wants information...anything goes. (including a possible 2nd or 3rd visit) icon_razz.gif

==============?If it feels good...do it?===============

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it!")**