Caches in the Fire Areas

RocketMan

Night Hunter posted this to the San Diego Thread and I thought it was important to post it here also. RM

quote:
Originally posted by Night Hunter:

_!!!!!!WARNING TO ANYBODY GEOCACHING (Searching for caches, Checking on caches, Replacing Caches) IN BURNED OUT AREAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!_

I was talking to a CDF Firefighter last night in the Otay Fire area. He was telling me that one of the most dangerous situations in an after fire period is people walking across burned out areas that were previously heavy brush. Sometimes they will find themselves ankle or knee deep in ash, and there could still be smoldering roots, or brush underneath. Even a few weeks after a fire. Temps of up to 1000 degrees F. This could melt the boots right to your feet.

Take extra care when going back into burned out areas. Don't assume the fire is completely out. Don't bushwhack just because there are no bushes. Stay on the trails and roads. It's not worth the risk, that cache can stay temporarily disabled for awhile longer.

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

I was talking to a CDF Firefighter last night in the Otay Fire area. He was telling me that one of the most dangerous situations in an after fire period is people walking across burned out areas that were previously heavy brush. Sometimes they will find themselves ankle or knee deep in ash, and there could still be smoldering roots, or brush underneath. Even a few weeks after a fire. Temps of up to 1000 degrees F. This could melt the boots right to your feet.

I would think you would notice 1000F temperatures long before it burned off your boots.

As a matter of fact if you were exposed to that temperature, you would not have to worry about your boots or anything else anymore.

30296_400.gif30296_1700.gif

--------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those temps ARE there. Ever play with your campfire? You know, its died down, but you see the glowing coals under the charred black top ?

what happens when you rustle it up and stir the fire ? You let the oxygen in, and the heat output becomes tremendous. All the ash laying on top forms an insulating layer, keeping a superheated pocket hidden from sight and feel. As that firefighter said, you break through and a world of hurt rushes out at ya. If you inhale at the wrong time, those superheated gases singe the sensitive lining of your lungs. You may have minor burns on the outside even, but you may not be able to breathe enough to walk back to your car.

Let the caches wait.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Went on an impromptu search that turned out to be in an area ravaged by fire. As I walked around the ashes, I can feel the heat from the ground even without any visible smoke. Took pictures of what was left of the hiding spot from 27 feet away. I don't want to risk melting my Tevas or getting burned myself.

Have GPS, Will Travel.

When I saw that you were 27 feet away I remembered that number from a log entry. Looked it up and sure enough it was my cache that gmaxis could not find (right off the tracks). I will check on this one but the plastic container probably melted.

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".