I need some help on a project.....

Snoogans

I am working on this travel bug idea. (Betsy is a real person who works at my company and she was tickled at this idea.)

How would all of this translate to a geocaching adventure? Some are quite obvious to me, but I would like a wider view. Anything that you post may be used in the TB's text.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People:

#1 Be Proactive: Fosters courage to take risks and accept new challenges to achieve goals.

#2 Begin with the End in Mind: Brings projects to completion and unites teams and organizations under a shared vision, mission, and purpose.

#3 Put First Things First: Promotes getting the most important things done first and encourages direct effectiveness.

#4 Think Win-Win: Encourages conflict resolution and helps individuals seek mutual benefit, increasing group momentum.

#5 Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood: Helps people understand problems, resulting in targeted solutions; and promotes better communications, leading to successful problem-solving.

#6 Synergize: Ensures greater "buy-in" from team members and leverages the diversity of individuals to increase levels of success.

#7 Sharpen the Saw: Promotes continuous improvements and safeguards against "burn-out" and subsequent nonproductivity.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

I've always tried to cultivate the habits in the legendary book. I like the idea, and I encourage you to continue to develop it, Snoogans.

In doing so you might want to conider celebrating how cultivating each of the 7 original habits makes you an effective geocacher because they've made you a more efficient person overall. The 7 habits, it seems to me, are universally applicable to any aspect of your life, including geocaching:

#1 Be Proactive: Assemble all relavant materials before you go out. Anticipate which maps or other info you might need. Having extra batteries or other redundant gear seems to fit here.

#2 Begin with the End in Mind: Visualize successfully reaching the cache. Assume that you can do it, even if it's a 5/5.

#3 Put First Things First: Take the search one step at a time. Or: Do easier caches as stepping stones to more difficult ones.

#4 Think Win-Win: Cooperate with cachers you meet on a trail, share the cahce find.

#5 Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood: Really listen to your team members input before you start bushwhacking. Or really understand the nature of the place when you're close to understand likely hiding spots.

#6 Synergize: Icorporate each of your team member's diverse talents in the search. Maybe someone can read a map more skillfully than another who is more skilled at taking compass bearings.

#7 Sharpen the Saw: Read the forums. Read books on orienteering and hiking. Practice computing coordinates arithmatically to understand the soul of the sport.

Thats my $.02. Good luck. Please post when its done so I can check it out even if I can't make it to your area to find it.

"Now may every living thing, young or old, weak or strong, living near or far, known or unknown, living or departed or yet unborn, may every living thing know happiness!"

I'll try to answer 'on topic' later today, but while you are putting out some concepts (i.e., the 7 habits), here are four others that I really like (by Don Miguel Ruiz):

1 -- speak with integrity and only say what you mean

2 -- don't take things personally

3 -- don't make assumptions

4 -- always do your best

icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

You stole my idea!! That book's preaching is intertwined in the company I work for.

I seriously was going to title a cache 'The Seven Habits of a Highly Effective Geocacher' as soon as I nailed them all down.

Whicon_razz.gif has surpassed whicon_razz.gif?

I still don't know the answer to an earlier question --

Are you a guy with a picture of a beautiful woman as your avatar, or is this now really your photo -- a famous person who is into geocaching? icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by StarshipTrooper:

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Great minds think alike.....? bad_boy_a.gif

...Or, *alike* minds think they're great? icon_biggrin.gif

I think Cool has it about right.

"...clear as mud?"

That probably hit the nail on the head. I still don't know if I was taking a poke at myself, or trying to insult Zuuk in an obscure way. The voices in my head are keeping quiet on this one, but it hasn't stopped them from continually urging me to run with scissors. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cool_and_the_gang:

I've always tried to cultivate the habits in the legendary book. I like the idea, and I encourage you to continue to develop it, Snoogans.

In doing so you might want to conider celebrating how cultivating each of the 7 original habits makes you an effective geocacher because they've made you a more efficient person overall. The 7 habits, it seems to me, are universally applicable to any aspect of your life, including geocaching:

#1 Be Proactive: Assemble all relavant materials before you go out. Anticipate which maps or other info you might need. Having extra batteries or other redundant gear seems to fit here.

#2 Begin with the End in Mind: Visualize successfully reaching the cache. Assume that you can do it, even if it's a 5/5.

#3 Put First Things First: Take the search one step at a time. Or: Do easier caches as stepping stones to more difficult ones.

#4 Think Win-Win: Cooperate with cachers you meet on a trail, share the cahce find.

#5 Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood: Really listen to your team members input before you start bushwhacking. Or really understand the nature of the place when you're close to understand likely hiding spots.

#6 Synergize: Icorporate each of your team member's diverse talents in the search. Maybe someone can read a map more skillfully than another who is more skilled at taking compass bearings.

#7 Sharpen the Saw: Read the forums. Read books on orienteering and hiking. Practice computing coordinates arithmatically to understand the soul of the sport.

Thats my $.02. Good luck. Please post when its done so I can check it out even if I can't make it to your area to find it.

That is exactly what I'm looking for. THANKS! icon_cool.gif

I will post my ideas here as soon as I get time.