How bad do you the urge?

TMAN264

This a random thoughts post, on have bad you HAVE to cache sometimes.

I am a CPA, who has been locked up in his office for the past 12 weeks. I found some time last night to hit a new cache in the area, so off I went. I took my tie off, but that was it. I got to the new park under construction where the cache was, and drove a 2 track under construction in my 1988 non-off road car. I got within 1000 feet of the cache, so off I went, down a 100 foot hill, falling twice.

Did I mention it was 42 degrees and raining? The cache turned out to be on the banks of a pond, a really good location and hide, but hard to get to in wingtips. No worries though, since the mud and gunk off, at least that's what I told my wife. The pants are ruined though.

And yes, I'd do it again, that's have bad I have the cache bug,

Any other war stories?

Will cache for food.migo_sig_logo.jpg

Here's one. I was coming back from a meeting out of town and decided to find a cache in the middle of nowhere. The search took me well off road in my passenger car. You know how it gets, you just can't turn back. It started to rain as I was driving through an abandoned farm. The clay soil became so thick in my rear wheel wells that the tires could no longer turn. I had to climb a hill to find a broken piece of board to use to dig the clay out. All of this in a white shirt, dockers, and business shoes.

The quest for the elusive cache is a powerful force!

Veni, Vidi, Cachi ...

The first month I was caching, I did one every day at lunch.

Folks at the office kept commenting on my coming back with muddy shoes, dirty pants, dusty jacket covered in stickers........

Now, I can't seem to get out at lunch anymore, but all the close caches are already found.

Burt it DRIVES ME NUTS to drive by a cache or benchmark symbol on my GPS when traveling around. Last weekend i could see where the cache was hidden from the highway but could not stop. Grrrrrrrrr...........

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

IM STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL AND I WENT TO FIND ONE CLOSE TO MY HIGH SCHOOL ONE DAY AT LUNCH. I WENT AND IT STARTED TO RAIN, AND THE CACHE WAS HIDDEN ON A PIPE THAT WAS BIG ENOUGH TO WALK ON OVER AN IRRAGATION CANNAL. THE CANNAL WAS FULL OF WATER, YOU CAN PROBABLY GUESS THE REST BUT I FELL IN AND DIDN'T GO BACK TO SCHOOL THAT DAY. I FOUND THE CACHE AND I HAD TO FIND IT, I WANTED TO FIND THAT ONE SO BAD I DIDN'T CARE MUCH THAT I FELL INTO THE CANNAL.

MAXD1 icon_cool.gif

The Madness must end - soon.

Today was my 50th straight day logging at least one or more caches. I think I have a problem! I had to scramble out near dark the other day to keep my streak alive to make 50. It was a fairly close one that I held off finding til I needed it. I promised myself it would stop about here. We'll see. No further daily goals exist. Most of the close ones exhausted and they keep getting further away but new ones pop up every Sunday and Monday from the weekend hiders(which I'm very grateful to). If I could resist finding all the new ones on the same day I could probably prolong the streak a bit. Time to stop soon though. It was torture this last week to 'ration' my caches to make it thru the week to my 50 goal. I had to use some 'locationless' during the run. A local town had at least 5 or 6 that helped me thru on days I couldnt travel much.

Started finding benchmarks also last 2 weeks or so - at least one a day - first to log only. Usually not too hard to do in this area, for now.

Also been out several times dressed very inappropriately for caching. Especially the day I went mud-skiing.

Is there a Cachers Anonymous program yet?

Won't be long.

Marty/maleki

Sounds like a few folks need to come out to Missoua and try the 12 Step Program. icon_smile.gifhttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=28634

Some of us are Certified addicts! (and some are just working on it)

-Jennifer

According to his or her personal experience, each person must decide by himself or herself where they have been. Always for me the most important thing is not where the others have gone but the experience lived through.-Reinhold Messner

I used to get it pretty bad but at the moment I think I've OD'd. I'm backing off for a bit until some of the local areas fill up with caches again. I did find 16 this weekend, I just don't see myself doing much weekday caching any more. I'm sure the pendulum will swing around again.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

So bad that I've taken to hiking longer and longer hikes by myself in the woods, and this is NOT like me to do so! It's a weird feeling, I must say. I did 6 all alone the other day. It's amazing the noises you notice in the woods when you are by yourself.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

In sunny Arizona where we've cached in 115 degree heat (previously we would estivate in the heat), we have cacher's anonymous meetings (event caches), a 12 step program and even Rx: GPS prn for those days we can't live without it. The Arizona caching community is working on the Geocaching Patch (so the rumor goes) to satisfy those cravings. As far as being crazy, I went out to one right after having a root canal in the September desert afternoon heat during monsoon season when our humidity goes way up. Don't let the dry heat nonsense fool you. When it's over 100 degrees, it's hot. That particular day we set a heat record of 111 degrees. I'd do it again in a heartbeat too.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I hit 76 caches in three days. 138 for the month...a record for me. I've got hte bug real bad. Yeah, I think geocachers anonymous is a necessary thing for some of us. First thing I do everyday is to see if any new caches show up and rush out to get them if feasible.

You think I'd be tired after getting 61 caches on Saturday with the Yakima Cache Machine (5 am to 7 pm...awake from 3 am to 11 pm that day.

I guess I still had a lot of fuel: I went out next day and got 7 more and the 8th was a 4 hr marathon search up a steep, rocky slope in the Yakima Canyon...nothing. Still had a blast though! On top of that I drove home to Seattle. that cache was:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48090

This weekend I'm headed down to the Columbia River gorge to hit a few more. We're going to doing a few of the more strenous ones.

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on March 31, 2003 at 09:40 PM.]

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on March 31, 2003 at 09:42 PM.]

quote:
posted March 31, 2003 08:04 PM

Interesting little log for how bad I have the bug right now.

Try THIS link.

Yeah, but were you wearing Dockers and a trench coat? icon_razz.gif. Nice log, you rock....I wish we HAD gorges around here!

Will cache for food.migo_sig_logo.jpg