Old news, new news, same news

Hey there all

I just want to say that as someone who just started reading these message forums recently, thank you to those who like to help out and offer advice, opinions and even debate at times. All of this really is informative to read.

But a big "Shame on you" to the people that I see telling people that the things they are posting about have already been discussed too much, or are tiresome. Something you may have read and posted about 100 times may be completely new to me. Most people put a pretty understandable subject line on their post. If you see a topic that you feel you have already read all you can about or posted aqll the opinions you have about, then just don't go in and read that series of posts. There just may be someone out there who is logging in for the first time who will find that thread informative.

It almost makes me leary to post anything. Just because you are behind a computer and not face to face doesn't mean you can be rude.

Just my $.02

Dep

I don't mind beating dead horses but sometimes you can help yourself out by using the forums search feature. After reading previous discussion on a subject you have in mind then you can pose a more intellegent and thought out question. Don't be afraid to bring up old topics but if you have read the old arguments you can add-to rather then redo a given subject.

Just a suggestion

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

i say post as needed. those that dont like should use the delete key or back button more often. there will always be new people coming in asking the same questions and some new questions that havent been asked before.

have at it!

urbo

quote:
Originally posted by urbo:

... there will always be new people coming in asking the same questions and some new questions that havent been asked before.

The problem is those old people who keep coming back and asking the same questions because they keep forgetting the answer. icon_wink.gif

(Don't flame me . . . I'm a member of the O.F. Club myself.)

quote:
Originally posted by urbo:

... there will always be new people coming in asking the same questions and some new questions that havent been asked before.

The problem is those old people who keep coming back and asking the same questions because they keep forgetting the answer. icon_wink.gif

Go ahead and post...

but please don't be offended when someone points you to previous posts where the topic has been discussed and which may contain the answer to your question. Their intent is to inform, not offend.

Keep in mind that many consider it rude NOT to use the search feature before posting a question. It actually takes less time for you to search the forums than it does for someone to provide you with a direct link to a previous thread. But they go through the effort anyway. I find that very kind on their part.

But, I agree, post away! Every time a repeat question or opinion is posted new ideas come forth. And there is nothing wrong with wanting to get in on a discussion, even an old one

Hey, I'm all for bringing up old topics. It's nice to refresh ideas sometimes.

There are, however, a couple topics that I will warn against possible "I've had it with this topic!!!" backlash (just 'cause they are recent, but maybe not on page one of this forum).

Ammo Cans v. Tupperware

NPS is Evil

Cheaters

Junk in Caches

Elvis Really IS Alive

It does get a little tedious - not of the new user, but just bringing it to mind again - to see an ammocan v. tupperware poll, and three days later, the exact same poll acting like the first one never existed.

Sure, if there is a twist to the comments, or you have a particular comment you wish you make, by all means make it.

Things like "how do you average GPS coordinates" don't bother me. I think it's better to be involved in coversation and perhaps get some new ideas thrown around than to subject everyone to searching the forums for specific answers to questions.

Most of all, I like to see everyone welcomed, all ideas respected, nature preserved, planets aligned, Christmas carols at the front lines, and genuine friendship expressed here.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

VF,

On your list, you forgot the ever popular, "Can I use my GPS on an airplane?"

In any case... I try to answer a question if I know the answer, but if the question is asked again later... I honestly don't feel like typing up the same answer again. But the questions don't bother me.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

Go ahead and post any question you want ... unfortunately there are ... well, impolite people everywhere ... but there are a ton of folks that will help you out or at least point you in the right direction or link.

Case in point:

quote:
post as needed

i say post as needed. those that dont like should use the delete key or back button more often. there will always be new people coming in asking the same questions and some new questions that havent been asked before.

have at it!

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

icon_eek.gif What was the question again?

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

icon_eek.gif What was the question again?

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys