Age and sex of cachers

Over the months I have become increasingly curious as to the composition of the Geocaching population. So if you wouldn't mind answering which age range you fit in and leave a note of whether you are M or F that would help to see how diverse this great game is. I searched the threads but haven't found anything on this. CAche on icon_smile.gif

"Democracy is the belief that 20,000 lemmings can't all be wrong."

What about those of us with multiple people on our teams? For instance, my son(12) and I (34)normally do the caches, but then my wife (34) and daughter (almost 2) go sometimes as well.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Must be a young whipper snapper that set up this poll. Ever heard of age discrimination. I don't need someone to carry me to the cache site I need two someone's.

No respect from the youth of today.

BASSETSLAVE

-----------

If you have the nose of a basset there is no cache that you can not find and you are never lost.

anibasset1.gif

Wow people get offended easily it is all in good fun. Plus how many times has it been alluded to that I don't know what I am talking about because I am somewhat of a younginicon_smile.gif If I only got a dime for everytime that happened then maybe I wouldn't have to work and just cache all day. Props to those with a sense of humor though icon_biggrin.gif

"Democracy is the belief that 20,000 lemmings can't all be wrong."

The average geocacher is a married male, 37.3 years old with 1.2 children and is employeed in the IT field.

This comes from a exhaustive study I did about a year ago where I wrote down a bunch of numbers and stats on a piece of paper and circled the ones that I thought looked about right.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Female in the 30s category here. I suspect that the results will not show a true ration of male to female cachers though. Just a guess, but there doesn't seem to be very many women that visit the forums. What do others think?

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

just turned 20 last week, male.

I have a feeling I'm one of the youngest active geocachers in the Houston area (who caches alone)

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

The Department of Redundancy Department

A geocache a day keeps the debtors away (cause your never home to take the call...)

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The average geocacher is a married male, 37.3 years old with 1.2 children and is employeed in the IT field.

Okay, I'm a married male, less than a year to go to hit 37.3 years old, and am employed in IT. I guess to really achieve average though I'm gonna have to sell off 1.8 kids. Any takers?

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

51+ male.

But this poll doesn't give the composition of the geocaching population, it gives the composition of those amongst the geocaching population who read the forums and choose to vote in forum polls. Which may or may not be the same thing. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

[This message was edited by Bill D (wwh) on July 10, 2003 at 01:36 PM.]

Not sure why 18 year olds are in the same category as 30 year olds. Usually it is 18-24 in a poll.

There was a more formal poll in the past. The median age for a geocacher was 38.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

He is also 190-240 lbs, likes beer, and has a beard. If he's married, his wife likes to scrapbook.

I'm 8 years, 0.2 children, and a beard short of average.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

He is also 190-240 lbs, likes beer, and has a beard. If he's married, his wife likes to scrapbook.

Sure, now you're upping the requirements for average. Now I'm gonna have to gain back the weight I lost from geocaching, develop a taste for beer, and grow a beard! Nah. Guess I'll just settle for being "almost average". But my wife does scrapbook. A lot.

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

quote:
Originally posted by SylvrStorm:

But my wife does scrapbook. A lot.

That's one more. I haven't figured out the correlation, but I've found it to be suprisingly common.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Hmmm... do women cachers tend to scrapbook? I don't.

I've met a few, but more often it's the non-caching wives of cachers.

Ending my threadjack now. Creating my own thread.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

[This message was edited by Dinoprophet on July 11, 2003 at 12:06 PM.]