Geocaching as part of Amazing Race 3?

tgspidell

Amazing Race 3 is about to start on CBS in October. It occurs to me that a geocaching hunt would be an interesting event for the teams to compete in. The question is: How do you build a geocaching event that ten or so teams can all find? If they're all finding the same item, one team can just follow another, ruining the challenge. Perhaps ten caches spread out in a circular arrangement in a desert, each starting in the center. Or perhaps it just wouldn't make good TV...

Anyway, I'd love to see it. It'd be a great promotional gimmick for Garmin.

tgspidell

And in honor of all the love and support Garmin has shown Geocaching, we would love to help them as best we can. /sarcasm

I personally like the Garmin products very much, but they seem to be very "un-cool" about any form of support or sponsorship for Geocaching. Oh, wait, they did make a geocaching waypoint icon with their latest software update. icon_rolleyes.gif

They could and should be kissing Jeremy's butt, with the number of units and upgrades I'm sure that our hobby has led to.........

Sorry. I hijacked your thread. Perhaps Amazing Race could consider seperate multi's with each team getting specific clues and decoding, each path leading towards a single end goal?

It's a game folks..........

And in honor of all the love and support Garmin has shown Geocaching, we would love to help them as best we can. /sarcasm

I personally like the Garmin products very much, but they seem to be very "un-cool" about any form of support or sponsorship for Geocaching. Oh, wait, they did make a geocaching waypoint icon with their latest software update. icon_rolleyes.gif

They could and should be kissing Jeremy's butt, with the number of units and upgrades I'm sure that our hobby has led to.........

Sorry. I hijacked your thread. Perhaps Amazing Race could consider seperate multi's with each team getting specific clues and decoding, each path leading towards a single end goal?

It's a game folks..........

If you watched the second run through of THE MOLE, one of the challenges they had to do was find a microcache using a handheld GPS, then punch in some new coords and get to a safe house. First one to arrive got a prize of some sort. At that point there were three players left, an older retired man from the NAVY and two young (20's) women. One girl got lost in the woods and had to be rescued. The second got lost in a large hay field and it took her hours to find her microcache, thus she came in second. The Navy guy had a long hard walk, but was the first one to finish. It was interesting to watch, especially if you are into cache and benchmark hunting.

I love Amazing Race, and even tried to convince a friend to team up with me for this time around (but they weren't available). Too bad, since it looks like this race will involve jumping out of an airplane. icon_biggrin.gif

But back to the point, here's exactly how I would incorporate it for AR3 (or 4).

Wait until it's a little further along in the race so that the teams are reasonably seperated (so they can't just follow each other). Then give them a puzzle to figure out the coordinates they need to go to (like our offset/multi caches) and the GPS. If they do the puzzle wrong and end up and the wrong place, they'd better figure it out quick and ge to the right place. Don't know how to use a GPS? Better learn quick (probably bribe somebody who does know to show them), or find a really good map and use that instead. And they'd still need to figure out HOW to get to the coordinates. I'd make it require at least a long drive, if not a plane flight, as well as a hike of some kind.

---------------------------------------

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

I love Amazing Race, and even tried to convince a friend to team up with me for this time around (but they weren't available). Too bad, since it looks like this race will involve jumping out of an airplane. icon_biggrin.gif

But back to the point, here's exactly how I would incorporate it for AR3 (or 4).

Wait until it's a little further along in the race so that the teams are reasonably seperated (so they can't just follow each other). Then give them a puzzle to figure out the coordinates they need to go to (like our offset/multi caches) and the GPS. If they do the puzzle wrong and end up and the wrong place, they'd better figure it out quick and ge to the right place. Don't know how to use a GPS? Better learn quick (probably bribe somebody who does know to show them), or find a really good map and use that instead. And they'd still need to figure out HOW to get to the coordinates. I'd make it require at least a long drive, if not a plane flight, as well as a hike of some kind.

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif