Deleted versus Retired?

Guest lee p

Guest lee p

What currently happens if a cache gets deleted from the site? Does all trace of it disappear? Does it deduct one from the total number of caches a person has found?

Is there any way to place a cache into a "retired" area instead of totally deleting it? If there was a cache that had tons of interesting comments, I'd like to still see a record of the cache somewhere. This also helps people see where past caches have been placed and why they aren't around any more.

Guest cache_ninja

yup i asked jeremy the same thing recently, im hoping he'll make a "retired" section/link, for the reasons you mention, and also, in case someone found a really nice spot, even if there isn't a cache, it might be nice to visit. i hadn't thought of your point though, which is a good one, with a kinda comprehensive list of retired caches/comments people will get some good info on where to/where not to place caches..depnding if a cache was "retired" by cache owner or "plundered" or moved for other reasons etc.

c/n

Guest Boromir

The Building42 caches that were raided are all still on the site, and the one I visited is still listed on my personal cache page. The only difference is that there is a message at the top saying the cache is gone, and it does not show up when you do a search by area.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=364

I agree it might be useful to be able to search for retired caches in some way (other than by id number).