Anyone seen the Geocaching Jeep commercial?

Ramness

Just saw a cool Jeep commercial this evening.

Story line goes:

Guy and girl in a restaurant/bar checking each other out. Girl walks by and drops a wadded up napkin on the floor next to the guy as she is leaving. Guy picks it up and reads it.

Then it shows the guy in a red Jeep pulling up next to a yellow jeep on a mountain road with the girl standing there in front of it. Then the narrator says something along the lines of, Jeep owners speak in a different language. Then shows the napkin with Lat/Long #’s written on it.

Pretty cool idea! Next time I see it I’ll try to get the #s and see where it is.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:

Just saw a cool Jeep commercial this evening.

Story line goes:

Guy and girl in a restaurant/bar checking each other out. Girl walks by and drops a wadded up napkin on the floor next to the guy as she is leaving. Guy picks it up and reads it.

Then it shows the guy in a red Jeep pulling up next to a yellow jeep on a mountain road with the girl standing there in front of it. Then the narrator says something along the lines of, Jeep owners speak in a different language. Then shows the napkin with Lat/Long #’s written on it.

Pretty cool idea! Next time I see it I’ll try to get the #s and see where it is.

Can we log this cache if we see the commercial? Granted the coordinates would be in my house!

Here in Phoenix yesterday, I heard only part of a radio commercial & the guy said: "so, the next time you're out geocaching....." I think it was for a local car lot or something! I was channel surfing & only got part of it, when I went back it was unfortunately over. Anyone else here in town able to hear the entire thing & know what it was?

Dogs Have Owners....Cats Have Staff!!

Yeah, i've seen that one three times now. But when it starts, it looks/sounds like an episode of MTV's 'the Real World,' so i tend to tune it out until i realize what it is. So i've tried to remember the coordinates.

So far, all i've got is N 37 degrees.

Too far south for me to cache in on them, i 'spose.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

I've only seen the commercial once, but it was after I saw it mentioned in the forums.

I don't recall the coordinates, but I seem to remember it only had the degrees and minutes.

Pretty good for a guy to track her down in a roughly 60-mile square.

Jamie

Saw that one last night. At the beginning, when she dropped the paper, I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be funny if she just wrote down some coordinates." Then when it turned out she did, I hit re-wind on the TiVo and made my roommate (lone_stranger) come watch. Didn't even think to find out what the coordinates were. Would be cool if they were right at the spot the people were in the commercial. Next time I see it I'll hit pause and post the coords here if someone doesn't beat me to it.

---------------------------------------

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

Saw that one last night. At the beginning, when she dropped the paper, I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be funny if she just wrote down some coordinates." Then when it turned out she did, I hit re-wind on the TiVo and made my roommate (lone_stranger) come watch. Didn't even think to find out what the coordinates were. Would be cool if they were right at the spot the people were in the commercial. Next time I see it I'll hit pause and post the coords here if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Missoula Organization Of Geocachers (MOOG)

MOOG; Unarguably, the coolest geocaching club acronym to date. icon_cool.gif

but come on how much time do you spend looking for a plastic box with toys in it? If you knew that woman was out there waiting for you how much effort would you go through? Even if the jeep ran out of gas I have spent some time on my hands and knees trying to find something that I had no idea what it looked like. He knew this was going to be a worthwhile find.

You've got a better map than I do, Cachew Nut. The coordinates you're posting for Celia's are showing up about 750 feet from the highway, but it's certainly possible.

MapPoint 2001 shows the nearest anything is ''House Of Tavern'', 131 N Fir St, Telluride, CO 81435, (970) 728-6207. (37.93852, -107.81152) It's 7.16 miles away as the crow flies, but 28.6 as the Jeep drives.

The next closest tavern is ''Buffalo Gap Vittles & Fire Water,'', 34.22 miles south of the coordinates (at 37.43222, -107.55717).

The topo map at LostOutdoors.com is showing an elecation of about 11,420. The nearest road is about a half mile away, but there's a trail to the north that gets within 0.2 miles, but it's at the 11,000 foot level, so it's probably prety steep.

Any idea what those 'Y' shaped things on the LostOutdoors map are? Avalanche chutes, perhaps? Doesn't look like a very safe place to park your Jeep icon_rolleyes.gif

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

You've got a better map than I do, Cachew Nut. The coordinates you're posting for Celia's are showing up about 750 feet from the highway, but it's certainly possible.

MapPoint 2001 shows the nearest anything is ''House Of Tavern'', 131 N Fir St, Telluride, CO 81435, (970) 728-6207. (37.93852, -107.81152) It's 7.16 miles away as the crow flies, but 28.6 as the Jeep drives.

The next closest tavern is ''Buffalo Gap Vittles & Fire Water,'', 34.22 miles south of the coordinates (at 37.43222, -107.55717).

The topo map at LostOutdoors.com is showing an elecation of about 11,420. The nearest road is about a half mile away, but there's a trail to the north that gets within 0.2 miles, but it's at the 11,000 foot level, so it's probably prety steep.

Any idea what those 'Y' shaped things on the LostOutdoors map are? Avalanche chutes, perhaps? Doesn't look like a very safe place to park your Jeep icon_rolleyes.gif

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."

From Mapsend Streets and Destinations

Celia's Restaraunt

630 Main Street

Ouray, CO 81427

970-325-4223

Not sure if it's current, but 750 ft. from the road does sound possible, and a highway just might be called Main street.

The elevation I got from Mapsend Topo.

I can see the nearest road to the east on the picture posted above, that would be County Road 20A. Mapsend also shows an unnamed road to the west, near County Road 31. Actually, there appears to be a small cluster of roads there, and it can be seen in the picture as well, I think, it looks like the numeral 2. Both roads are about .5 miles from the coordinates.

Additionally Mapsend Topo shows some POI's nearby, the closest being a summit, Red Mountain Number 2, which is .28 miles south. If I was going to take a jeep somewhere, that might be the place to go see, seeing how it's a point of interest. Not exactly the highest point on the mountain, so I don't know why it's classified a summit. Maybe it was just a good name for a POI. Coords are N37 54.763, W107 40.114.

Also, the area is loaded with mines, not sure if they are active mines or not, but withing a half mile are Robinson Mine, Cora Belle Mine, Paymaster Mine, Monas Queen mine, and Midnight Mine.

Actually, since you have nothing beyond integer minutes, you'd be best to assume she rounded. That would mean you'd have a box centered at N37°55',W107°41', but the corners would be N37°55.500',W107°41.500' - N37°54.500',W107°40.500' That makes it about a 2.15 mi x 0.9 mi rectangle. About two square miles.

Just hope she's not a serial killer, all those mineshafts and such... icon_razz.gif

Or mine icon_razz.gif at Midnight icon_biggrin.gif

JENNY 10/5/14/14/25 37 55.10514 107 41.1425

Emerald Lake, icon_eek.gif 37.5510 107.4114 11,550" 1.5 mile west+ - icon_eek.gif 11,550'

icon_cool.gifAmerican Girl Mine NW .750 mile D/M/S 37 55' 10" -107 41' 14" icon_wink.gif10,500'

[This message was edited by Trailblazer # 1 on October 21, 2002 at 09:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by Trailblazer # 1 on October 21, 2002 at 09:18 PM.]

Wow... this thread has resurfaced in the form of a markwell at just the right time.

A few days ago I was watching TV with a friend of mine. The Jeep commercial came on, and since he knew I was an avid GPS user, he asked me about the commercial, whether I'd seen it or not.

I told him I had. And thinking about this thread, I explained that there had been a detailed study of the commercial done on the geocaching site.

He said we were all a little weird.

Just about two hours ago I awoke from a nap whereby I had a dream that some girl in school had done a similar thing to me. Except instead of handing me a slip of paper, she gave me the whole GPS with a GOTO already programmed. It was a SporTrak Pro, if I remember correctly.

Don't ask what happened, cuz I don't remember. icon_frown.gif

Jamie

Well, since Jamie brought it back up, what about the japanese suv commercial currently airing? I think it's nissan, but I could be wrong. It shows a man and woman going into an antique shop kind of place. Guy's checking out a jukebox, the woman, a piece of furniture. As they are carrying the furniture ot to the truck (see, the wife gets her way again!) it looks like that flash a long/lat on the screen, presumably the place they bought it? Maybe its not even a waypoint, I've just been staring at my GPS for too long..........

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

One of the toughest off-road trails in the country is the Black Bear Pass. It's near Uncompahgre/Ouray, CO (near Ophir/Telluride). Check out any off-road magazine and there is bound to be a story about it. The pass is only passable after mid-June (usually early July) and only for about 3 months.

Since Jeep is aiming their advertising at off-roaders, the coordinates they picked were appropriate in case anyone looked them up. They figured that serious off-roaders would know that those coordinates are near one of the toughest trails in the country.

There are actually two commercials that I've seen like that with coords. One with the jukebox which I believe is somewhere out in the wilderness in the midwest, and another one with hunting down a rare first edition Vonnegut book and running into Kurt himself at the store to sign it. The coords for that one put you somewhere in the ocean between NY & Connecticut. N41 W73 (at least it allowed me to find this little bugger on lostoutdoors.com 40.99344 -72.996749)

These commercials tick me off. Even if they don't put the real place it was filmed (which is probably just a back lot in Hollywood) at least make it some real site. Make it the corporate site of the company or something, so we'll at least remember who the commercial was for.

If nothing else, at least it will get us geogeeks talking about the commercial. And that's all they want, isn't it, to make any possible inroad on our overloaded consciousness?!

quote:
Originally posted by mattb5:

The coords for that one put you somewhere in the ocean between NY & Connecticut. N41 W73 (at least it allowed me to find this little bugger on lostoutdoors.com 40.99344 -72.996749)

These commercials tick me off. Even if they don't put the real place it was filmed (which is probably just a back lot in Hollywood) at least make it some real site

Keep in mind, they rounded the coords off to the nearest degree. So the bookstore could be anywhere within 30-35 miles of the spot in the water--easily on dry land.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mattb5:

The coords for that one put you somewhere in the ocean between NY & Connecticut. N41 W73 (at least it allowed me to find this little bugger on lostoutdoors.com 40.99344 -72.996749)

These commercials tick me off. Even if they don't put the real place it was filmed (which is probably just a back lot in Hollywood) at least make it some real site

Keep in mind, they rounded the coords off to the nearest degree. So the bookstore could be anywhere within 30-35 miles of the spot in the water--easily on dry land.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Just about two hours ago I awoke from a nap whereby I had a dream that some girl in school had done a similar thing to me. Except instead of handing me a slip of paper, she gave me the whole GPS with a GOTO already programmed. It was a SporTrak Pro, if I remember correctly.

LOL! Now there's a man's fantasy. She gives you a the GPS too!

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm... will stalk you silently."

quote:
There are actually two commercials that I've seen like that with coords. One with the jukebox which I believe is somewhere out in the wilderness in the midwest, and another one with hunting down a rare first edition Vonnegut book and running into Kurt himself at the store to sign it. The coords for that one put you somewhere in the ocean between NY & Connecticut. N41 W73

mattb5 you are referring to the commercials for the NEW Nissan Murano of which I am the proud owner of one of the first icon_wink.gif in this area. Nissan is marketing it as an urban SUV so they are showing off the $2000 optional DVD based nav.system in these ads. Since I already have my Etrex and know how to read maps pretty well, I passed on that option. The 2 ads are for the jukebox/Louis XIV chest with coords N37 W122 in the SF bay area, and the first edition Vonnegut one with coords N41 W73, near New Haven CT.

It is a great truck for my needs; anyone interested can check out this page at the Nissan website or email me for more opinions and why I picked this one.

Be careful what you wish for!

quote:
There are actually two commercials that I've seen like that with coords. One with the jukebox which I believe is somewhere out in the wilderness in the midwest, and another one with hunting down a rare first edition Vonnegut book and running into Kurt himself at the store to sign it. The coords for that one put you somewhere in the ocean between NY & Connecticut. N41 W73

mattb5 you are referring to the commercials for the NEW Nissan Murano of which I am the proud owner of one of the first icon_wink.gif in this area. Nissan is marketing it as an urban SUV so they are showing off the $2000 optional DVD based nav.system in these ads. Since I already have my Etrex and know how to read maps pretty well, I passed on that option. The 2 ads are for the jukebox/Louis XIV chest with coords N37 W122 in the SF bay area, and the first edition Vonnegut one with coords N41 W73, near New Haven CT.

It is a great truck for my needs; anyone interested can check out this page at the Nissan website or email me for more opinions and why I picked this one.

Be careful what you wish for!

So, for $2000 you can plug in N41 W73 and drive into the ocean? Is it amphibious too?! Where's Kurt?

Or you can go to N37 W122 and drive onto the DeLaveaga golf course/park? icon_wink.gif

Do those types of systems even give you your lat/long, or just show you where you are on the street? Can you interact with it as far as what your destination is?

$2000 for it built into the vehicle or $100 for one I can carry around AND GeoCache with. Hmmm . . .

Department Of The Interior Sets Aside Two Million Acres For Car Commercials

WASHINGTON, DC—Seeking to "safeguard our precious wildlands for future generations of SUV ads," the Department of the Interior set aside two million acres in Wyoming and Colorado for use in car commercials Monday. "If we do not protect this land," Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton said, "we may one day have no place for Dodge Rams to run wild and free."

http://www.theonion.com

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Mein Vater war ein Wandersmann, und ich hab' auch im Blut