Protecting caches from moisture - a suggestion

Guest Point2Point

Guest Point2Point

After finding a few caches I noticed that no matter how good the container - even ones with zip lock bags - the contents (especially paper) have become damp. To help minimize the dampness, I think it would be helpful to put some silica gel packets in the cache.

These are the little packets that you can find in almost every new pair of shoes (in the shoe box). They are about the size of a sugar packet and they feel like a package of crushed gravel and they usually are labeled as 'Silica Gel - Do Not Eat'. I have used silica gel packets in my own personal storage of books and paper documents and it seems to help a lot. I got a handful of these little packets from a shoe store clerk one time just by asking.

Anyone have any comments? Should we all try to have some silica packs with us and leave them in caches that seem to need them?

Just an idea.

Great idea! I found some packets on ebay, assorted sizes, and have ordered some. With each geocache I visit, I will leave a silica bag, as well as something else behind.

Our first cache that we visited, which was today, had items in the cache that had become wet. One was an ink-jet printed page and the colors had run.