Congrats to Jeremy..goecaching in the news

Guest will_m

Guest will_m

Thought everyone would like to know that geocaching was in the paper. Here is the link to the article I saw in The Baltimore Sun today in the Plugged In section.

http://www.sunspot.net/technology/pluggedin/bal-pl.treasure19.story?coll=bal%2Dtechnology%2Dheadlines

The only thing the article didn't do was mention the website but hopefulyl enough people will do the standard search for it.

Congrats Jeremy icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Will

Now where the hell am I?

Guest cache_ninja

nice! that article was in the works for many months. they do actually mention the url, which is good.

hopefully there will be visits to some of my MD caches soon..

c/n

Guest Nomad

The article certainly did mention the URL and that is what brought me here. I'm in the processing of picking out a GPS and as soon as I do I'll be an avid player. Ninja, glad to here you have some caches in my area. I've seen your postings about urban caches and they sound very intriguing. I imagine by the time summer rolls around there will be no shortage of MD caches.

-See you in the log book.-

Guest will_m

I didn't see it in the print version. Oh well, prescription in my glasses must have just run out. icon_biggrin.gif I haven't done any geocaching yet but I might. I use mine mainly for off-roading and screwing around with.

Nomad, if you want I can show you my Garmin GPS III which is the older version of the current Garmin GPS III+. That might give you some help deciding what you want to get.

------------------

Will

Now where the hell am I?

Guest Quinnow

small blurb?...wait till this evening when its on the channel 8 news...I did a two hour tour with a news team today, showing them my local website and the main site of Jeremy's at Geocaching.com Gave them Jeremy's name and some info about caching, then we went on a hunt. Also did a story with a reporter from the democrat and chronicle for an hour and a half last week that goes to print tomorrow. Nice to see a local fellow caching. Now I dont feel so lonely!

contact me at Navicach@rochester.rr.com if you want.

quote:
Originally posted by Paradigm:

The Rochester D&C had a small two sentence blurb in there technology section a couple of weeks ago, that is how I discovered Geocaching.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Nomad

Thanks for the offer Will, but I think I'm going to get the Magellan 330 M... proxien convinced me. Besides...I couldn't get the Garmin III b/c its discontinued and the III + is $517 <--- OUCH! I was going to get the Magellan 330, but why not pay an extra $20 for the marine version w/ water maps?

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Nomad:

and the III + is $517 <--- OUCH

Where are you shopping??!!? You can get it for $280 at tvnav.com! Even Amazon.com has it for $299.94!

Guest Quinnow

517.00 ???? wow!!...check out ebay or mysimon.com, you can get one for around 279-300...I have one and paid 299.00. Let me know if you want to buy some cheap swamp land in florida!....just kidding .

quote:

Thanks for the offer Will, but I think I'm going to get the Magellan 330 M... proxien convinced me. Besides...I couldn't get the Garmin III b/c its discontinued and the III + is $517 <--- OUCH! I was going to get the Magellan 330, but why not pay an extra $20 for the marine version w/ water maps?

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest will_m

quote:

I was about to say $517? I also know a place that sells it for $279.98 ( http://www.4x4books.com ) I knew the III was discontinued (got mine on ebay) but I like it for the fact I can use it on and out of the Jeep and it has a decent basemap. Plus, I did a firmware upgrade and it was the cleanest I have ever seen of any piece of hardware I use.

------------------

Will

Now where the hell am I?

Guest Moun10Bike

That's the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP). This is customarily discounted before sale (the "street price"). It's like buying a car -- you don't pay the sticker price in the window, you bargain from the invoice price.

Guest will_m

quote:

On Garmin's own page the list the MSRP as $571 US dollars.

http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/compare/mobile

That's where I got the price from. How can those other sites offer it for so much cheaper?

Nomad, seriously, you never pay retail on electronics these days. Garmin sells to retailers at a MUCH lower rate. Imagine paying retail for your computer. Add about $500 minimun tothe price in a lot of cases.

The site I gave you I think has the best prices out there. I think Garmin wishes it could sell for that much but no way could they. My offer still stands if you want to at least see what a Garmin III looks like (same exact size as a Garmin III+.)

------------------

Will

Now where the hell am I?