Give location to Locationless Caches

BigBirdNL

Once upon a time, we were able to 'hide' locationless caches. (Hopefully this possibility will be back soon, but that's another issue.)

With a locationless cache you can log a find for a specific subject with the coordinates of that find. For example, you are asked to find Historical Covered Bridges. When you find one, you log it with the coords of the place.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an overview of where on earth all these bridges are?

With LocLess2Loc, you can create a loc-file with all coords of the logs of you locationless cache. This loc-file can be used with your favorite mapping program to generate a map af all these locations.

As an example, I will place the map with all Historic Covered Bridges here. This map is generated using CacheMaps for the eastern part of the USA.

The coming version of CacheMaps will have LocLess2Loc as a build in feature, but with the current version, you can already generate maps from loc-files.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

CMLogo_Transparent_Dark_Medium.gif

[This message was edited by BigBirdNL on August 31, 2003 at 07:31 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

How hard is it to develop loc and gpx files?

Both Loc- and Gpx-files are plain text files with a predefined syntax. Loc-files are quite easy, Gpx-files are quite complex.

I generate the loc-files needed myself. For a syntax description, see the CacheMaps site (Syntax Area).

With CacheMaps I also generate Gpx-files when needed. For this, I simply use the original Gpx-file as supplied to me by the Pocket Queries. From these I use only the parts of the caches that are selected in CacheMaps. In this way I am sure that the syntax is correct (it is actually from the give file) and don't have to dig into all details.

If you want to generate your own Gpx-file, look here for the official syntax.

BigBird icon_smile.gif

CMLogo_Transparent_Dark_Medium.gif