Should you be able to see people on a watch list?

I say everyone because I don't think that there is any hidden reason for being on watch lists. They are for legit reasons so I wouldn't feel bothered if someone/everyone knew I was on X watch list. I also think that if we are going to have thread ranking on this site you should be able to see who voted what. It helps eliminate all of the week posts from jerks who have no (you know what) to do so without hiding.

I really don't care to who is watching my caches but it would be nice to know just for the sake of knowing. I'm watching some caches and I wouldn't care if the owner knew I was watching his/her cache, its no secret.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

There's only reason I can think of that I wouldn't want my user ID appearing to the general public on a watch list. If it's a cache that hasn't gotten a first find yet, I'll put it on my watch list so that I'll be alerted if someone finds it before I'm able to go out and hunt for it. If my name shows up, that'll tell other local cachers that I know about it and intend to get it soon. As it is now, they've got to guess if the one person watching the cache is me, or Criminal, or VDS, or someone else.

Definitely not a big deal. So long as it's obvious to a potential watcher that their user ID will be listed, I don't have a problem with any of the options.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

I'd like to know who's watching, so I say everyone.

That way, as a "good" geocacher, I would keep them in mind for future reference of an event cache or just a simple request to go find a cache together in the future.

I guess that would work, wouldn't it?

I'd like to see something like what's on some BBS' where users have the option of making their ID available for viewing.

By default, if I were watching a cache, it would be visible to all, but if I were truely paranoid, I could make it invisible.

Of course, on the flip side, you could have something where if I chose to make my ID invisible, then I couldn't see anyone else's as well.

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

What if you could "anonymously" watch a cache and in that case, only the owner could see you. If you didn't choose anonymous, then everyone could see you. That way the paranoid cachers could remain anonymous with their watch lists.

JetSkier

I voted for everyone to see who is watching a cache. Like afore mentioned it is neat to see who is watching a cache and out of pure curiosity I like to know who is watching a cache. It also adds a new level of neatness to see that somebody else is interested in a cache let alone your own cache.

Where you all at? violent-smiley-081.gif

It's really just something for the owner to be concerned with.

It wouldn't help me one bit to know which cachers in my area are watching a particular cache. I know which ones will be hunting for it first(I'm one of that group), so having a watch list wouldn't change it.

On my newest cache, however, after it was approved it was being watched by one person and not found for 8 hours or so after placement. Was it the approver wanting to see what other cachers thought about it? Was it a local that wanted someone else to find it to get an idea of how difficult it was? A watch list for the cache owner would have answered that question.

bandbass.gif

I couldn't decide between 'everyone' and 'owner', so I voted for everyone. I like the idea of the combo watch list, allowing an 'anonymous' choice for paranoid cachers, but still allowing the owner to see all of them.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

There's only reason I can think of that I wouldn't want my user ID appearing to the general public on a watch list. If it's a cache that hasn't gotten a first find yet, I'll put it on my watch list so that I'll be alerted if someone finds it before I'm able to go out and hunt for it. If my name shows up, that'll tell other local cachers that I know about it and intend to get it soon. As it is now, they've got to guess if the one person watching the cache is me, or Criminal, or VDS, or someone else.

_WWJD? JW RTFM._

I see your point Travis, but I tend to look at the upside. If I see that an avid FTF cacher is on the watch list, I might try a little harder to beat him to the punch. It would be sort of like an 'Amazing Race' against known fellow cachers.

BTW, in my area I already know who the avid FTF finders are, so it's a safe bet they are looking for it regardless if they are on the watch list or not. Actually seeing them on the list would just add a little fun to the FTF challenge.

I voted for 'everyone' to see it.

--CoronaKid

Certainly the owner should be able to see who's watching their caches. I don't see any reason why everyone shouldn't be able to see.

Maybe it could be set up where all owners can see who's watching, but make it a perk for "paying customers" to be able to see all watch lists.

Either way, it's not a big deal. I just use my watch list as a way to indicate to myself which caches I've printed out but haven't hunted yet, so I really don't care if someone knows I'm watching.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

I voted for everyone.. Every now and then I see threads about a group of poeple going out together to find caches. They alwasy seem like they have a a lot of fun with it. If I know there a few others who are intrested in finding a cache im intrested in checking out then i might be motivated to try to orginize something like that.

At very least though i would say the owner should be able to see. Take for example the recent issue with the "Cache Pritate" I would be willing to guess that they had the caches they raided on thie watch list (esp. if they really were doing it for the reaction) might have given the cache owners a little bit of warning, but then maybe not. but i really cant see any harm to beig able to see that info.

I say only the owner for now. Watchers may be apprehensive about watching if they know everybody can see the watch list.

Also, adding the owner's ability to see the watch list is a gradual step towards letting everybody see the watch list. Why not take this intermediate step and see how it goes? Then decide later whether or not to allow everybody to view the watch list.

I voted for everyone. But I agree that an anonymous button that restricted it to just the cache owner would be nice. I can see no reason that the cache owner shouldn't know who is watching. The cache owner is not likely to be a"first finder" in any case.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Dru Morgan:I couldn't decide between 'everyone' and 'owner', so I voted for everyone. I like the idea of the combo watch list, allowing an 'anonymous' choice for paranoid cachers, but still allowing the owner to see all of them.

I agree completely with Dru. The owner should know who is watching his/her cache, but I'm sure there are folks out there who are paranoid enough to choose 'anon'. Of course they probably do have people out to get them so they really aren;t paranoid the are they?

icon_eek.gif

I have 8 accounts watching one of my caches right now. I'd love to know who they are.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Everyone. Just like the Forum, knowing who's who adds to the friendliness and comaraderie. (and sarcasm, too icon_wink.gif) It'll make it more clubby. Isn't knowing a person's "nickname" better than just being a number out there? It'll bring people together in a hobby where most people are off on their own most of the time.

Alan

I voted for "Undecided". I feel that everyone should have a choice as to whether their name is displayed or not.

That takes us back to the "Anonymous" choice. If you choose this option, not only would your name not appear, but i vote that no one else would be visible to you.

I guess what I am trying to say is that either way, to me, it really doesn't matter.

I voten no simply because excessive information always leads to trouble. People will be griping because cacherX is watchign all of thier caches or they will suspect anyone who is watching thier cache and hasn't found of plundering it if anything should happen to thier cache. And I'm sure there will be other things that haven't occured to me as yet. icon_rolleyes.gif

Eeyore

I'm one sat short of triangulation.

I would say everyone, with the option of someone being able to do owner only if they choose to. If I'm watching another cache, I don't care at all who knows it, but I think that there are people that would want to limit the information to the cache owner only. Maybe something like this:

If you are a paid member, you can see who is watching any cache depending on their settings in the next statement, otherwise you don't get to.

If you are a paid member you can control who is able to see you watching a cache (Owner only/everyone/no one), otherwise the cache owner and paid members can see you.

That might be a incentive to get more paid members or at least an additional perk for those of us who are paid members.

Seems like this is a popular "wish list" type item with the crowd. I'd like to see who is watching my caches, but I really don't see why anyone else would care who is watching my caches. I voted owner only but I really don't care if it's any other way. I'm going to enjoy whichever way it turns out.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I voted for "No One".

I think it should be left a mistery to everyone. Why would anyone NEEED to know? No one needs to know, and if everyone could see the watch list, then I'm sure there would be a few people that would be reluctant to watch caches.

People watch caches for different reasons. Sometimes I like to watch one after I find it, just to see what they take, or might leave in a cache. I have also put my self on a watch list, if I could not find a cache. Other people may watch caches that have travel bugs.

The way I see it there is no benefit to see who is watching a cache. If everyone knows, then the mistery and part of the fun is gone.

Take Care

Rocketman1

I thought about this and finally decide on No One.

As stated above, people watch caches for different reasons. Some are waiting to see if others find the cache (and perhaps leave some hints in their logs). Others watch after they have visited to see if someone takes their trade item. (alas many people do not log what their trade was). I am watching a cache because it on the same trail as my cache and I want to see if anyone goes after that cache and not mine. The cache I am watching is a members only cache while my cache is not.

I can't see any reason for either the cache owner or anyone else to use the information. I'm not even sure I should care how many people are watching my cache.

-- I found it in the last place I looked.

I see no reason not to make the watchers available to all paid members, the anonymous option would be ok.

The other thing that should be available to owners of all caches (and not just member-only caches) is the list of people who have viewed the cache page. I make all my caches members only for the first week for 2 reasons - 1) to encourage people to subscribe and 2) so I can see who is checking out the cache.

I voted "everyone", but I would also support some kind of gradation as previously mentioned by others. At a minimum, I think paying owners should be able to know who the watchers of their caches are; whether you want it to be a perk for them only or extend it to others (paying or non-paying) doesn't matter to me.

Worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by YeOleImposter (formerly yragnosluap):

The other thing that should be available to owners of all caches (and not just member-only caches) is the list of people who have viewed the cache page.

There was that list on the cache pages about 6 months ago or so. They took it off for some reason, probably the amount of data that it used up and the increase in the processing time it took to look up the info.

Everyone. I also like the idea of making it a premium member perk. I have enjoyed the mystery of it, but I think it would be a nice change of pace.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

I've always felt that the owner should have the have the right to see who is watching their caches. I have serious reservations about having the watch list being public, however.

It would also be nice to have an option for the cache owner to do a bulk email to everyone on the list.

One of the reasons I said Everyone is that a lot of caches have multiple owners - but to my knowledge, only one person gets official recognition of that. The co-owners of our ZooCache, who provided materials and labor to our cache, wouldn't get the same priviledges as I, the official owner, would get. In the case of an owner-only view of watchers.

UPSCWRU (University of Puget Sound, Case Western Reserve University)

I voted No One. Not a big deal to me which ever way it goes, but as others have said, I think people watch caches for a variety of reasons and people might be less likely to watch a cache knowing the cache owner knows they are watching. While I know the response will be Nobody is making you watch - or if you don't want to be known, don't watch, I still like it the way it is now.

Eswau

I don't mind if others can see what I am watching, and i would be happy to explain why if asked...

I would like to be able to see who is watching my caches and travel bugs. Not a big deal, just curious.

I voted only the owner, because I know some people tend to freak about this kind of thing. Of course everyone can already see the logs we post, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Just to complicate things, you could have it something between 'owner' and 'everyone' -- people on the watch list are able to see who else is on the list. Might help people get to know those with interest in similar caches... the 'comraderie' bit mentioned above. I don't think there's a reason that everyone looking at the cache page should see who all is watching, but that could be more an issue of implementation than who has access to the information. I, too, think there should be an option to anonymously watch a cache, thought don't know off hand what its main use would be.

-- If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If life is less kind, grow mushrooms.

I don't really see a reason to do that. It Is interesting to know who's watching your cache. I just don't know If I want people to know I'm watching their cache. I know that sounds silly but that's my gut reaction.

Don't hunt what you can't kill!