Geocaching.com resondsibility

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Ok. I'm a bit peeved.

I received the two cache IDs that I was informed were placed without permission. I disabled both caches and informed both of the owners that the land managers did not give permission to place these caches.

Both have emailed me back. They had both received permission to place their caches from the local land managers.

One even had a picture of the state trails coordinator beside his state car right after a geocaching workshop.

Do your homework. You should probably discuss whatever issues to whoever you're speaking with so they know which end is up.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Ok, now we are all peeved. Here is how I did my homework.

I received an email with the following comment from the State Parks Director:

“In checking the web, I’ve noticed a few caches, to include one that is illegally buried at Pinnacle Mt.”

I felt obligated to forward this information to Geocaching.com. I sent the information to TennesseeGeocacher, because he had recently sent me an email asking for my help on local issues. TennesseeGeocacher is the Geocaching.com approver for this area.

I fowarded the director’s comments and listed the only two geocaches in that park. I recommended that these cachers obtain approval for their caches.

I never received a reply so after a couple weeks I posted this thread.

I included the State Park Director’s contact information in my email to both TennesseeGeocacher and Jeremy. Has anyone contacted the director? Was there a buried cache? Are the local park superintendents ignoring Park Directive 3220. I don’t know, maybe everyone needs to do his homework.

You can be sure I won’t be doing any more homework to support this website.

Hmmmm... looks like you got your wish. The cache was archived by the cache owner. Looking at the cache (now that we know which one it is) I see some interesting things.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=1205&log=y&decrypt=

I see that you found the cache on May 12, 2001. You didn't have a problem with it back then. It was in fact your first cache find. I also see on August 12, 2001 that the State Trails Coordinator also found the cache and seemed to like it. "He was very excited about the possibilities and promised to invite us to the next trails council meeting." About a year ago on July 4 the owner put a new log book in the cache and mentions that it has the blessing of the State Park System.

Of course, maybe some things have changed. They know exactly where the cache is (since they found it and all). If they wanted it out of there, couldn't they have just gone out to get it themselves?

Congrats, the sixth oldest active cache in Arkansas is now gone. ID=1205.

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

Hmmmm... looks like you got your wish. The cache was archived by the cache owner. Looking at the cache (now that we know which one it is) I see some interesting things.

I see that you found the cache on May 12, 2001. You didn't have a problem with it back then. It was in fact your first cache find. I also see on August 12, 2001 that the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=3034&L=45229 also found the cache and seemed to like it. _"He was very excited about the possibilities and promised to invite us to the next trails council meeting."_ About a year ago on July 4 the owner put a new log book in the cache and mentions that it has the blessing of the State Park System.

Of course, maybe some things have changed. They know exactly where the cache is (since they found it and all). If they wanted it out of there, couldn't they have just gone out to get it themselves?

Don't kill the messenger. I didn't have a problem with the cache. The State Park Director had a problem with it.

The fact that the cache was in a hole covered with leaves and sticks didn't bother me. It was my first cache find.

I did have a problem with the non-response from geocaching.com and the subsequent insinuations that I didn't do my homework. What did they want me to do? I get the feeling that you would have prefered I did nothing.

I never did get along too well with the 'rules are made to be broken' crowd.

Normally I would just let this die down but solohiker has blown this way out of context and he did not send me the emails that he spoke of to me on those dates. I spoke with the parks director last week by e-mail and by phone and there is no problem. All caches already in state parks would have to have a permit none would be grandfather in. When doing the permit process all caches that were undesirable by the Park mangers would not be approved and would be archived. This process would take about 30 to 45 days. I assured him that we at geocaching.com would do what there wishes were on this matter again no problem with the state parks people.

The only problem I am having is trying to find out which caches are where so I can contact each cache owner and explain the new state park policy and assist them getting a permit.

I posted a thread in the South, Southeast Forums to ask for help in identifying the caches but only four have been spoken of and if that is all there is, there is no problem.

At this time I would ask that you solohiker back off because too many cooks will burn the beans for us all.

Tennessee Geocacher

Geocaching.com Admin.

quote:
Originally posted by Tennessee Geocacher:

Normally I would just let this die down but solohiker has blown this way out of context and he did not send me the emails that he spoke of to me on those dates. I spoke with the parks director last week by e-mail and by phone and there is no problem. All caches already in state parks would have to have a permit none would be grandfather in. When doing the permit process all caches that were undesirable by the Park mangers would not be approved and would be archived. This process would take about 30 to 45 days. I assured him that we at geocaching.com would do what there wishes were on this matter again no problem with the state parks people.

The only problem I am having is trying to find out which caches are where so I can contact each cache owner and explain the new state park policy and assist them getting a permit.

I posted a thread in the South, Southeast Forums to ask for help in identifying the caches but only four have been spoken of and if that is all there is, there is no problem.

At this time I would ask that you solohiker back off because too many cooks will burn the beans for us all.

Tennessee Geocacher

Geocaching.com Admin.

You can be sure I will not be promoting the web site or forwarding any more messages. Please don't ask for my help again.

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

I see that you found the cache on May 12, 2001. You didn't have a problem with it back then. It was in fact your first cache find. I also see on August 12, 2001 that the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=3034&L=45229 also found the cache and seemed to like it. _"He was very excited about the possibilities and promised to invite us to the next trails council meeting."_ About a year ago on July 4 the owner put a new log book in the cache and mentions that it has the blessing of the State Park System.

It appears that the cache owner has made the decision to comply with State Park Directive 3220.

I stand by my actions and reject the notion that the State Parks should be the ones policing this hobby.

I am not satisified with the actions of geocaching.com regarding this situation.

An apology would help.

I am sure that geocaching.com wishes this thread were dead. I resurrected the thread, because the cache in question has evolved, as it should.

I don’t expect to get credit for the evolution, I just want geocaching.com to be more responsive in dealing with these issues.

quote:

Originally posted by solohiker:

I am sure that geocaching.com wishes this thread were dead. I resurrected the thread, because the cache in question has evolved, as it should.

I don’t expect to get credit for the evolution, I just want geocaching.com to be more responsive in dealing with these issues.

I'll bet you are fun at parties! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I would not characterize myself as the life of the party. Perhaps that is why I enjoy this hobby. I would enjoy this hobby even more if it were run like a business, instead of being a business run like a hobby.

That would take the fun away from the rest of us.

Cheers!

TL

quote:

I would not characterize myself as the life of the party. Perhaps that is why I enjoy this hobby. I would enjoy this hobby even more if it were run like a business, instead of being a business run like a hobby.

You are wound a bit tight for this game, huh?

I see in an unrelated thread you mention that cachers need to start hiding more in Arkansas. You are helping with that by doing this?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?tx=32bc9333-5e52-4957-b0f6-5a2c8fc7b257&u=solohiker

Lets see...you send an e-mail to the admins, that you aren't even sure that they received, with some vague complaints about lack of permission for a cache that you fail to name.

When the cache in question is finally identified, the owner says he did indeed receive permission for the cache, though there was a subsequent rule change that he probably wasn't aware of.

The admins then respond to this by attempting to identify caches that are not in compliance with the new regulations so they can advise the owners how to bring them into compliance.

Because of this, you demand an apology and de-list all of your caches?

You're wrong about yourself. You aren't extremely dislikable. You're psychotic...well maybe you're both.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 26, 2003 at 09:43 AM.]

quote:

I will not promote an organization that will not support its members.

How is hiding caches promoting Groundspeak?

When you hide a cache you promote the game. That is what you advocated doing in Arkansas, hide more caches to promote....???? Here is your quote (Arkansas cachers need to get busy placing caches}

So, what is this rant by you about?

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

solohiker, I just want to know why you archived all you caches....is that part of your "I'll take my ball and go home" attitude?

I am embarrassed to be associated with such a weak administration. Nothing more. I still enjoy the sport.

quote:

I am embarrassed to be associated with such a weak administration. Nothing more. I still enjoy the sport.

I'm betting the feeling is mutual.

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

Clearly. Jeremy's reaction to this problem does not surprise me.

quote:

Nor me. He attempted to address this issue, despite the fact that you were deliberately vague about its exact nature. What did surprise me is that he didn't call you you a douchbag, because you certainly would have deserved it. But I'm sure you already know that.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

The administration did not act until you gave them enough information to make a decision. You posted this thread on July 3rd. Less than a month later, the issue appears to have been resolved. Try working with your local government on an issue and you'll see that the Geocaching admins worked at light speed in comparison.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

Wow, this thread reminds me of why I decided to become a paying geocacher. Thanks for putting up with all the guff Jeremy.

As for Solohiker, maybe it's time to find a cache up on top of a mountain somewhere. A good one, that takes half a days worth of hard climbing to get to. Once you get there, huffing, puffing, heart pounding from both the exertion and the view, none of this will matter anymore. Nothing like a good outdoor adventure to put the world all back into perspective.

quote:
s for Solohiker, maybe it's time to find a cache up on top of a mountain somewhere. A good one, that takes half a days worth of hard climbing to get to. Once you get there, huffing, puffing, heart pounding from both the exertion and the view, none of this will matter anymore. Nothing like a good outdoor adventure to put the world all back into perspective

And hopefully he will stay there.

It's too bad the anger had to flow on this particular thread. I have been to the cache in question. I only have about 20 finds but this was by far my most favorite cache. I have been visiting that particular part of Arkansas for 15 years now and have never visited the state park it was hidden in untill I got into geocaching. This particular cache allowed my father in law and myself a day to ourselves for him to show me all the sights that are around this area. Where he swam as a child and went to church camp right down the road, as a child. Its a shame if this cache and the hider SoloHiker wont be around. I was looking forward to some more of his hides next time I was in the area. I dont mean to babble on, it just happened to be a very memoriable day of caching for me. I hope these problems are resolved. I also have to say it was an excellent spot to hide a cache. icon_smile.gif

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

I'll agree that I'm a jerk and have no business running the web site. Since we've resolved this question of the ages, I'm closing this thread.

Please no namecalling in the forums.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™