What countries are missing Geocaches?

quote:
Originally posted by giantsfan:

If there are Geocaches in 176 countries (even though Bermuda is not a country it is still being counted) and there are 193 countries, what countries are left ungeocached?

Where do you get the number 193 from? I seem to remember from my stamp collecting days that the correct number is 300+

Gotta love Google!

Article from: Ask Yahoo

quote:
We started our search by typing the whole unwieldy phrase -- "how many countries in the world" -- into the Yahoo! search box. We realized the chances of finding a Yahoo! category on the subject were about as small as Andorra, but we were confident the Google search results would point us in the right direction.

Our first stop was an article from About.com's Geography section. The article, titled How Many Countries Are in the World?, was recently updated on December 6th, 2000. It states that depending on the source, the world has either 189, 191, or 192 countries.

The United Nations, which represents almost every country in the world, has 189 members. However, Switzerland and Vatican City have chosen not to become members of the United Nations. Therefore, many people believe the number is 191. But not so fast...

Taiwan ostensibly meets all the requirements of an independent country, but, due to political reasons, much of the world refuses to recognize it as such. Taiwan considers itself an independent nation and continues to push for recognition from other countries, but two of the world's powers, the U.S. and China, have yet to be swayed.

If Taiwan is considered an independent country, as it is by the World Almanac and Book of Facts, then there are 192 countries in the world. It should be pointed out that there are a couple of countries that are heading towards independence: East Timor recently voted for independence from Indonesia, and, if the Middle East peace talks continue in a positive direction, it's expected that Palestine will gain independence in the next few years.

Other sources, such as the CIA World Factbook, list the number of countries as much higher, but these counts usually include territories and colonies like Puerto Rico and Bermuda, which are governed by other countries.

Depending on your criteria and definition of a country, the current count can range anywhere from 189 to 266 or so.

AKGAT.gif

Not touching the issue of "countries" that aren't countries, although Hong Kong certainly belonghs on that list too, it seems like the real countries missing caches are primarily in Africa. Digging through the list of countries that do have caches, I see the following are missing:

Algeria, Eretrea, Togo, Ghana, The Gamba, Mauritania, Gabon, Equitorial Guinea, Congo, Dem. Rep. of Congo and Lesotho. I'm sure there are others I just didn't think about.

quote:

If there are Geocaches in 176 countries (even though Bermuda is not a country it is still being counted) and there are 193 countries, what countries are left ungeocached?

Uzbekistan, where GPS receivers (and just about everything else) are illegal. Actually, I'm surprised they are in Russia, GPSrs are illegal there too, unless laws have recently changed.

quote:
Originally posted by philaduck:

quote:

Uzbekistan, where GPS receivers (and just about everything else) are illegal. Actually, I'm surprised they are in Russia, GPSrs are illegal there too, unless laws have recently changed.

It's not so much that the are illegal in Russia, They are illegal if they offer accuracy of less than 100 meters. A Russian freind of my who caches went back last December. He said you can have a GPS but it's accuracy cannot not be better thatn 100 meters. After seeing some caches posted in Russia, my thougt were that there must be a black market for GPSR in Russia. Once you tell people they cannot have something, they will want it.